“Not quite what we hoped for”
Review of In Den Wittenkop

In Den Wittenkop
Ranked #46 of 797 Restaurants in Bruges
Cuisines: Belgian, French
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Traditional regional kitchen - Comfort gourmet food. Everything home made with best ingredients and love.
Reviewed September 23, 2018

We pre booked this restaurant following reading good reviews here on tripadvisor.

The restaurant was relatively full on our arrival which we took as a good sign. The layout is very compact and the wooden seats had no padding.

The food included shrimp croquettes, sole and mussels the latter of which I had been particularly looking forward to. Unfortunately my expectations were not met. The mussels had little in the way of broth which could only be reached after eating 75% of the mussels. Even then the broth was not particularly flavoursome. In addition, the fries were overcooked. The sole was fine as were the shrimp croquettes.

We were given a small bowl of a creamy cauliflower soup. I would strongly recommend that this is added to the menu. It was delicious.

Standard prices for Bruges. Service was good. We just expected a little bit more.

Reviewed September 23, 2018

In Den Wittenkop is a real gem of a restaurant. Warm and cosy with romantic lighting it was an ideal place to spend an anniversary dinner.

Although In Den Wittenkop isn't cheap, it wasn't ridiculously priced either. We had 3 courses (but shared a dessert) and a carafe of wine, and it came to about 120 euros. We enjoyed cheese croquettes to start, steak frites for main and the apple pie which was one of the best I've ever eaten. We were also given a small cup of cauliflower soup as an amuse bouche and it was really tasty. The service was attentive without being overbearing and we left incredibly full and incredibly happy! Well worth a visit for a more traditional Bruges experience.

Reviewed September 14, 2018 via mobile

This little gem of a restaurant had all the qualities that I look for in a five-star experience. I must recommend the smoked duck salad to start your meal. It was truly a special delight. We both had mussels-mine with curry and hers were natural. They were fresh and perfectly prepared. A side of friets completed the meal. We were both too satisfied to order desert but from what our neighbors on the table enjoyed next to us it looked delicious. The owner of eight years was lovely and charming as her well as her assistant. Five stars and three cheers!

Reviewed August 29, 2018

Stumbled upon this little gem after walking around the main plaza and refusing to pay 18 euros for a pizza. Service was quick and friendly, but the stand-out was really the food. I had a duck breast salad with figs as an appetizer and mussels + fries as my entree. My boyfriend had the fish and chips. Everything was delicious. I still have dreams about that salad!

Reviewed August 15, 2018 via mobile

We had mussels and Flemish stew - both were outstanding. Goat cheese and bacon salad starter was also great. And don’t skip dessert. Convenient location, but not in crowded center.