“one of the best”

Ranked #31 of 749 Restaurants in Bruges
Cuisines: Belgian, French
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Traditional regional kitchen - Comfort gourmet food. Everything home made with best ingredients and love.
Reviewed October 15, 2013

Bruges is renowned for slow inattentive service. But this place is set apart as the owners genuinely care about your dining experience. the food is homely with decent portions and locally sourced produce being the key elements.
I only wish I'd eaten here first so that i didn't have to eat in some of the other places that the guidebooks recommended and i found disappointing.

Reviewed October 14, 2013

We booked, from an recommendation made by our lovely B and B hosts. I emailed a fortnight before our break away and the restaurant kindly answered to confirm our booking. So I knew we were in good hands.

The restaurant is intimate, with great music and both the owner and the waitress assisting were friendly. Though they were busy, they didn't rush around and the ambiance was very welcoming.

We shared a generous portion of mussels in white wine ...mmm and accompanied this with a bottle of dry french Sauvignon blanc. While we normally choose different mains, this time we both opted for the pork cheek - accompanied by frites - it was delicious. So tender and in a rich red wine sauce - our portion was ample so much so that I couldn't do justice to it all.

Our bill was very reasonable for this delicious food, cooked with care. Do book! as we watched numerous people been turned away and the restaurant is really quite small.

Reviewed October 12, 2013

We walked by In Den Wittenkop on the way back to our hotel, noting the posted menus looked fresh and unassuming. Luckily got the last table of the night upon calling for reservations, showed up at 1830 with a six month old baby and were provided an adequate high chair. Waitress was helpful and spoke very clear English, which we were quick to thank her for. Fried cheese appetizer was good if not a bit rich, and our mains of mussels with frites and pork cheek were notably well prepared, while simple and unassuming. Just good home-style cooking. My wife had the mousse for dessert (fine but nothing special) and I had an espresso to round out the night. Tab of 80 euro seemed a bit high, but not out of range for the quality preparation and the relatively tourist-heavy location.

Reviewed October 10, 2013

My husband and I found this place by accident and even though we arrived prior to their dinner opening time we were welcomed in and enjoyed a beer while waiting for the owner to arrive and dinner service to start. This was great because it was raining and a little chilly outside. The couple who owns the place are really nice and friendly. The food was excellent!! Rick Steves recommends this place in his Bruges travel guide so there were many American travelers. We did not have a reservation but since we arrived early it wasn't a problem, as the evening went on it does fill up so I would recommend making a reservations. I would say this is one of the best restaurants in Bruges and everyone should go.

Reviewed October 4, 2013

We were really hoping for a nice meal in Brugge to make up for other not so nice experiences, so the tripadvisor certificate in the window at this one really swayed us. We booked a table for slightly later in the night as they were busy early. Service was very friendly even though they were clearly busy. Steak was cooked perfectly, pork cheek was delicious as was lemon sole. Dessert was not quite as lovely but a very good night just nestled away from the central square.