“Friendly service, very good food”
Review of In Den Wittenkop

In Den Wittenkop
Ranked #28 of 757 Restaurants in Bruges
Cuisines: Belgian, French
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Traditional regional kitchen - Comfort gourmet food. Everything home made with best ingredients and love.
Reviewed June 10, 2013

We ate here twice during our visit to Bruges - it's worth reserving a table as the restaurant is quite small and - testament to its quality - usually pretty busy in the evenings.

The menu is small, consisting largely of local dishes cooked beautifully. The service is incredibly friendly and the atmosphere is welcoming.

Prices are fairly typical for a good restaurant in central Bruges - not cheap, but better value in terms of quality for your money than many other places.

Reviewed June 4, 2013

This restaurant was the perfect place to spend our first evening in Bruges. The warmth of the welcome definitely made up for the cold and rain outside.
It is just like entering someone's house with a few tables up and downstairs. Very charming indeed and both the waiter and waitress were excellent and attentive.
The menu was a little limited and a bit pricey but that is to be expected in Bruges. However, the meals were of excellent quality and very tasty. I'm not sure if they cater for families with young children. As my kids are teenagers, they could eat off the adult menu with no problems at all.
Overall, good homely food in a small restaurant with a friendly atmosphere. Definitely worth a visit.

Reviewed May 30, 2013

We found this place whilst wandering Bruges on Saturday morning and I recognised the name from TA pages. Popped in and spoke to waitress and asked for table for evening which I was given without any difficulty. On arriving that evening, we had a choice of table and picked one near the bar and away from the door! We decided to eat a la carte and had a lovely three course meal with beers rather than wine as we had been to The Beer Wall beforehand and had the taste! Hubby had prawn and asparagus "stew" to start which, whilst not quite as expected, was delicious; I had goats cheese salad which was rather filling but tasty. Main course was rib eye steak with peppercorn sauce for him and lemon sole for me - both lovely and nicely cooked with plenty of chips and salad. Dessert was mokka and vanilla ice for me (yum!) and warm apple pie for the man. Great service and lovely atmosphere - even the slight delay in removing the empty main course plates was not an issue as it was so relaxed and relaxing there. Total cost with tip was €120 - not bad for Bruges and well worth it. You'd be mad not to try it as it's really close to the Markt.

1  Thank condenastbabe
Reviewed May 25, 2013

We went here with high expectations based on all the wonderful reviews. Unfortunately we did not have the same experience. Shrimp Croquettes had a really bad taste - definitely not fresh. Ordered Rabbit Stew and there was barely any meat at all on the bones. On top of that, it was quite pricey. We left feeling that we had been robbed. Could never recommend this place.

1  Thank gogogoLongIsland
Reviewed May 23, 2013

Having only just arrived in Bruges we went to trip adviser and found this small restaurant just by our hotel. Bruges isn't cheap for food but the 37 euro menu was a steal. We had complimentary asparagus soup taster, superb, cheese croquettes which melt in your mouth. I had lamb and potatoes and my husband the pork cheeks. All melt in your mouth food experiences. We shared the lovely warm apple tart. The waiter was excellent and recommended a local beer and the house wine was great. As I say Bruges isn't cheap but I don't mind paying for quality!!!