“Worth seeing if you have the Brugge Card.”

Salvador Dali Exhibition
Ranked #37 of 153 things to do in Bruges
Reviewed October 28, 2013

This place is full of paintings, sketches etc, all by Dali, if you like Surrealistic art this is should be for you. Not sure if they were originals or replicas but not sure that matters in the end.
We had bought the Brugge card and all the museums were closed at 5pm so figured we would give it a shot. I have seen some of Dali's drawings before so wanted to get a closer look at them and form my own opinion.

Dali said "Just because I don't know the meaning of my art, does not mean it has no meaning" Personally I found the paintings strange and vulgar in some cases. Perhaps if you spent more then an hour in here and went over each drawing thoroughly you might find some meaning to them, but then if Dali didn't know what they meant its all interpretation. Unfortunately I'm sure most tourists will not have time to spent 30 minutes on each drawing in order to interpret them, and since they are drawings and not paintings, I think anyone can just look at them online and get the same from it.

He also said "“I don't do drugs. I am drugs.” I am not going to judge this museum on his artwork though, neither myself nor my wife really liked his artwork other then a drawing or two but I can honestly say by the time we walked out of there we were able to experience Dali for good or bad, so that does merit something.

There are newer reviews for Salvador Dali Exhibition

Reviewed October 17, 2013 via mobile

I have never been able to see a large collection of Dali's work before, so I was excited to see this. If you like surrealism at all, you will enjoy it. Keep in mind that a lot of the imagery is sexual in nature and therefore not suitable for kids. If you are looking to see some of Dali's more famous works, you won't find many of them here. The "melting clocks" one is in the MOMA in New York, and I imagine that several others are in the St. Petersburg FL museum. Bottom line: I would't go to Bruges just to see this exhibit, but if you are already there, check it out.

Reviewed September 17, 2013

I really enjoyed visiting this museum, the audio tour was well worth the extra 2 Euros. Some unusual collections I hadn't seen before and great explanations from the audio guide.

1  Thank Jan2926
Reviewed September 7, 2013

Great exhibition with some wonderful Dali pieces. Very well designed exhibition space. A credit to the curator. There could be some additional information provided on the works, perhaps a sheet of information, the only option is to pay an extra €2 for an audio guide for this already pricey exhibition. Overall this exhibition is well worth a visit, situated in the center of Bruges, you will be in the square anyway so you should drop in and experience the genius of Dali in some of his lesser know work.

Reviewed September 5, 2013

It was a wonderful mix of the man great work. Not to mention his illuminating saying! We only left ourselves an hour, but could have spent much more time. Taking photos was a big bonus. Would have like more post card choice.