“The Golden Girls Trip to Bruges”
Review of PortoRomano - CLOSED

PortoRomano
Cuisines: Belgian, Portuguese
Good for: Families with children, Special occasions, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed June 27, 2014

After visiting Bruges and this restaurant some years ago with my Book Group I returned this year to the same hotel and visited this restaurant while there for a long weekend. It is run by a lovely family. The Golden Girls ( four elderly ladies) were made very welcome right from the start and had an excellent meal. The home-made apple pie and other desserts were mouth watering and the meal, just what we liked, freshly cooked and presented, as well as being delicious. We were the first diners as we got there early, but as the evening went on several others arrived. As we were sitting in the window we like to think we were seen to be enjoying ourselves so much that others wanted to come in and sample the excellent menu. The PortoRomano is down a very quiet street off the main square, Sint-Jabobstraat, and is ideal for a quiet evening after the hustle and bustle of Bruges during the day. I hope this delightful and friendly family continue to do well and will be back next time I am in Bruges.

Reviewed June 24, 2014

Excellent, genuine & generous service.
Great food (the muscles in white wine & garlic were delicious, as were the deserts - homemade apple pie & home made Portuguese tart).
We lingered here for a few hours over some good house wine.

Highly recommend.

Reviewed June 18, 2014 via mobile

I took my wife daughter and her partner here for dinner.
On arrival it was empty and unattended, the waiter then appeared and said it was open.
We sat down to eat as it had been recommended to us by our hotel.
The waiter wasn't pro active we had to keep asking for things!
When the starters arrived they were very nice. The main courses were also very nice but a little on the small side.
The food was cooked freshly and well.
It was fairly expensive.

But I would not return here as i would describe the service as only adequate.

Reviewed June 12, 2014

My wife and I found this restaurant by chance and chose the Flemish stew which was to die for. A good size portion of high quality meat and good dry crisp chips. The starter was a large size portion of Parma ham, ripe melon and a tiny jug of port. The owner was very chatty as it was quiet and we thoroughly enjoyed our evening. Incredible value for money.

Reviewed May 23, 2014

We had our first meal in Bruges at PortoRomano. A lot of the restaurants were full that night so we stumbled upon this restaurant rather hungry. We found the service very good, and the quality of the food was good, it was just missing a little bit of class which would have made it excellent. However, the portions were pretty good and the mixed grill was particularly tasty and very Portuguese. As with all restaurants in Bruges bar a few, the obligatory chips were served which always makes me feel a meal is less than it is. Finally, price wise we were comparing restaurants on the price of their three course meal and it's 26 euro in this particular restaurant so a lot less than what we spent on other nights.