“Decent Restuarant. Good food options”
Review of De Gastro

De Gastro
Ranked #137 of 734 Restaurants in Bruges
Cuisines: Belgian
Good for: Families with children, Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed February 15, 2014 via mobile

Have just returned from our meal here. We had the cheapest of the set meal options at 24.50 euros each which included cheese croquettes (so-so) steak, salad and a huge bowl of chips (surprisingly good) and a chocolate mousse (yum!) We also had a lovely bottle of house white and an Italian coffee. Nice atmospheric with friendly staff and comfy seats!

There are newer reviews for De Gastro

Reviewed February 4, 2014

Offers some nice set menus that are good value. Everything was well presented and the service was cheerful and friendly. Menu offers Flemish options - I can't speak to their authenticity but the fish casserole I had was excellent.

Many places were closed on a mid-week night in February so we were happy to find this place. I would definitely eat here again.

Reviewed January 15, 2014

On a cold, rainy day in November, I went to see the charming city of Bruges. Definitely not the weather for exploring, but at least there weren’t many tourists! I took the train from Ghent (25 minutes) and a bus to the market. Someone had warned me about high prices around the central market, and my walk confirmed the fact that meals were unreasonably priced. I even saw a waffle for 8 Euros. Ridiculous! The take-away places were busy (and probably had reasonably-priced and tasty food). One restaurant was so full, they weren’t allowing anyone in. So, after lots of walking, I found the perfect respite near the Burg: De Gastro. It had a lovely décor, soothing music and a friendly waiter. I had a light omelette, fries, a crisp salad, nutty bread and tea in a cute, heavy pot. It was a thoroughly restful and enjoyable meal.

Reviewed January 13, 2014

After spending a memorable evening at the fantastic “t' Zwart Huis” we wanted to have dinner at another original Flemish place and picked the “Bistro Den Huzaar” on Vlaming street, based on excellent Tripadvisor reviews. Unfortunately we found it closed, so we invariably stumbled over this place, strategically located just a few steps from one of the most photographed corners of Bruges: the Rozenhoedkaai (Kaai = Quay) with its spectacular views over the Dijver Canal. The restaurant is just a 5 min walk from the Grote Markt, heading towards the canals along trendy Wollestraat.

Despite having found several “red flags” about this place on Tripadvisor, we decided to give it a whirl as we were quite hungry. The reviews we read before at the hotel were a mixed bag: “De Gastro” seemed to be a hit or miss experience. In retrospect, while many reviews are on the positive side, I’m inclined to join the group of reviewers wondering how on earth this place got the stellar ratings it proudly displays at the entrance.

“De Gastro” is not –and certainly does not claim to be- a traditional Flemish restaurant. You could find its starters on any restaurant menu in the western hemisphere: shrimp croquettes, goats cheese, smoked salmon, tiger prawns with herb and garlic butter or Foie gras with onion marmalade. The same applies for the main courses, which could cater to a bunch of cosmopolitan business executives: sole meunière with French fries, veal Ossobuco with pasta, Irish rib eye steak, filet mignon, chicken breast Madras with rice. Nothing wrong with that, as the foreign tourists seem to outnumber the locals in central Bruges. However I think it’s prudent to assume that any seasoned traveler has had all of the above dishes in different other countries and would prefer to try something authentic Flemish while on visit in Flanders.
We had the “warm goats cheese with bacon and grilled apple” to start and the “Flemish stew” for our mains.

The amuse-bouche was a diminutive combination of two rubbery mozzarella mini-balls covered by some small squares of chopped red pepper. Bland taste, I wouldn’t serve something like this to my guests at home.

The starters were OK, the goat cheese however could have had a more firm texture. The “grilled apple” turned out to be a small slice of apple thrown on a hot grill for a few moments. Not quite a refined presentation. Maybe the words “slice of” should be inserted on the menu between “grilled” and “apple” to avoid disappointments. I was thinking about a succulent warm apple bursting with flavours …

As of our main dish, we were underwhelmed by their version of the Flemish stew. And I noticed we were not the only ones: “my partner didn't think much of the Flemish stew” said a previous reviewer from Leeds (UK), while another patron from Germany said that it “was lacking the dark gravy and deep taste found with most Flemish stews”.

I’m not able to comment about the atmosphere, as we were the first customers on that Sunday evening; when we left about an hour later there were only a few couples inside, probably first-time patrons as well.

We found the décor rather uninspiring. My partner spotted some bizarre “artwork” on the walls, a couple of prints of ambiguous abstract paintings in different shades of grey as the dominant colors. In my opinion more suited in a psychiatric practice than in a place claiming to be a romantic Bruges restaurant. If I would be the restaurant owner, I’d had those weird prints replaced by something more romantic, at least two weeks before St Valentine’s day …

To sum up, this is a place with great potential, given its central location. It’s clean, the beers are great and the service is friendly. But it’s let down by the unimaginative cooking – the food is merely average, at best. We haven’t tried their “international” dishes, I must say in all fairness. But the complaints on Tripadvisor are ranging from over-peppered mussels to an unrefined presentation of a chicken dish (“chicken came looking like it flew from the roaster!”, 4/12/2013) and to bland food (“I just want to say that food is disgusting, no taste, no salt, wine even more”, 14/11/2013). There is even a report about “heavy poisoning after eating in this bistro” (a lady from Ghent, July 2013).

In my view, there’s only one best solution to get out of this impasse - a more creative and innovative style of cooking (maybe hiring a new Chef ?) Otherwise the place could soon see a new, more appropriate (nick)name: “De Bland”.

Reviewed December 24, 2013

It's not that I dinged them a star for anything bad, but to me, a five-star rating means everything was perfect, beyond perfect even. We made a reservation on the very early side (6 pm, which is when they open, and unusually early for European dinner time), so obviously we had no wait. Since we are on vacation, not only did we have our 2-year-old baby with us, but also the family dog. We were given the perfect table in the corner and a high chair. The drinks are very affordable (I had 2 draft beers, I think they were €2.80 and €3.80 each). My wife had 2 nice glasses of Cava. We each ordered different prix fixe menus but were each happy. The cheese croquets are rich but delicious. My Flemish beef stew with frites was delicious, as was my wife's steak with herb butter. And each of our desserts were decadent.

Surprisingly nice and prompt-enough service (a rarity we find), and all together (2 starters, 2 entrees, 2 desserts, and 4 drinks) the bill came to €80. it had started to fill up by the time we left (8 or 8:30) and we were happy both of our boys were well behaved making it an excellent night out. I wish I could give it 4 1/2 stars.