“Happly surprised”

Ranked #18 of 768 Restaurants in Bruges
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed August 13, 2014 via mobile

I only write critics if the restaurant is excellent, my time is too important to waste on writing about a poor experience. I had a glass of Amplus One, excellent full bodied red wine, my wife had the Chardannay. We shared the tapas, tuna tartar and Pata Negra. I ordered beef tartar, french fries and a salad that I said I wanted to share with my wife. We both ordered another two glasses of red wine. We where then presented with two portions! At first we where unhappily surprised and thought the waitress had misunderstood us.......until we got the bill. What we thought where two portions was the single portion, put on two plates. Everything was excellent....quality, service and price.

Reviewed August 2, 2014

I cannot speak highly enough of our meal. We ate the tapas menu the tastes were wonderful. I would describe it as a selection of small plates rather than the standard fare served up. The scallops were beautiful as was the langoustine ceviche and tuna tartare. Service was good and very helpful.

Reviewed July 15, 2014

We had a delicious lunch in this small restaurant, beautiful langoustine, zeebrugger shrimp, mini burgers, foie gras, Spanish potatoes all made in portions to share. Desserts weren't as good as mains so if you've room I'd perhaps visit a patisserie or waffle shop.

Reviewed June 28, 2014

It's not far from the main square - which might make you think it could be a bit touristy - but not at all. We ended up here for lunch. Although initially the waiter (who I think was also the owner) was a bit frosty, it was a lovely lunch. We went for some of the staples - croquettes, patatas bravas, asparagus, pata negra - with a dash of eel, sherry and grapa! What struck me is that they were presented differently to normal - for example, I don't like eel - but it was presented in a little bread (?) basket, thinly sliced, with a little salad - and was delicious. At 140 euro it wasn't necessarily cheap - but it was good. If we'd had more time, we would have gone at least a second time. Try it!

Reviewed June 22, 2014

After two weeks away dining in restaurants every night we were looking for a less formal and cheaper meal. This not only fitted the bill but significantly surpassed our expectations. We both had fish main courses followed by dame blanche. Service was excellent, efficient and very friendly. The atmosphere was relaxed with many locals, who obviously knew the restaurant and its quality. We were lucky to get a table, not having booked. Several groups were disappointed to find the restaurant full. We had cava and wine all for only €80 plus tip.