“Superb yet unusual restaurant.”
Review of de Buhne

de Buhne
Ranked #153 of 734 Restaurants in Bruges
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed November 8, 2013

I used tripadvisor to find a good vegetarian restaurant in Bruges and decided on De Buhne for a nice last evening romantic meal. My girlfriend is vegetarian but I am not so the reviews of this restaurant sounded perfect. It sits on a side road not far from the main square and is run by a Husband and Wife who it seems have run the restaurant out of the bottom floor of their house. It's a small intimate room with maybe only 7 or 8 tables but it is beautifully presented and very welcoming. At first there was only one other couple inside which made conversation unusual as there is no background music but as the place got busier there was little to complain about the atmosphere. The food was superb. We had 3 courses each and a bottle of extremely nice Merlot to go with it and the bill didn't come above 60 Euros. Each course was presented well and tasted delicious, both the vegetarian options and my meat and fish courses. I wouldn't hesitate to return here next time we visit Bruges.

1  Thank Laurence A
There are newer reviews for de Buhne

Reviewed November 4, 2013

Anna s restaurant caters well for foodies, each ingredient is hand picked and scrutinised, much choice in vegetarian and seasonal veg is used. Selective and special from caring hosts, a theatre of food as the name suggests (de Buhne). The wine is selected so it's free from additives. A favourite. Go.

Reviewed October 25, 2013

We were in Brugge and needed to find a place for dinner, so I tried Yelp and found this place well-reviewed. Dead on! Intimate little place with maybe eight tables on a quiet street. Truly outstanding fare, pleasant service. My only complaint was that the sole was not deboned properly but when I realized this and removed more thoroughly the fish was delicious and perfectly cooked.

Reviewed October 12, 2013

My partner and I are both vegetarian (he for 20 years, me more recently) and while we can usually find enough decent options, we rarely find restaurants serving vegetarian food of the highest quality. De Buhne is not a vegetarian restaurant, but their vegetarian set menu features some of the most elegant and stylish dishes we have seen anywhere.

We had struggled to find much choice for vegetarians in Brugge in the first two days of our stay. It must be very hard to be a vegan in the city, as almost every vegetarian dish seems to feature eggs or cheese. We paid an eye-watering amount for cafe food on our first day, did slightly better at a bistro on our second day (although there was only a single vegetarian option amongst the main courses) and for the meal on our last day, I resorted to Google to try to find somewhere a little more veggie-friendly. Tripadvisor turned up de Buhne and we went to check it out.

Dinner started with some tiny homemade cheese biscuits. Then an appetiser - a very light and delicate rissole served with a tempura leaf. For the starter, I had pumpkin soup and my partner had a tartare of vegetables served with red quinoa. For the mains, my partner had a creamy waterzooi of vegetables (an adaptation of the traditional chicken dish) and I had a brandade of fennel served in a little puff pastry shell accompanied by asparagus tempura. For dessert, we were brought two small tartlets - chocolate and passion fruit for him and lemon for me. Every single thing was beautifully prepared and presented, subtle and delicious.

De Buhne is tucked away down a side-street and we would not have found it without Tripadvisor's recommendation. It is very small and, as others have noted, very quiet, but that didn't bother us. We were advised to book ahead, but in the event, there were only two other parties there. The interior is traditional, but stylish, and (small point) they use very pretty china. We were served by a very softly-spoken older lady who patiently explained the more unusual things on the menu and seemed gratified that we liked everything so much.

All in all, de Buhne presents vegetarian food of a standard that we find it difficult to get anywhere - not anywhere else in Brugge and not even where we live in London. Their menu is very well thought through, and seems to reflect traditional Belgian flavours but with a modern twist. The fact that the food is also organic is a very nice bonus, and underlines that this is a restaurant with a distinctive voice. The only slightly odd thing is that one does not get to choose a dessert with the set menu - this bit was rather confusing, and we only realised when our desserts were simply brought. However, by happy accident (or maybe amazing psychic powers from the lady serving us), my partner loves passion fruit, and would have picked the exact dessert he was given anyway. I would have appreciated a chance to choose from the selection of gorgeous-looking puddings on display - but actually the lemon tart was a very nice, fresh, sharp one so it seems a bit churlish to complain.

I think the overall cost for four courses, plus one beer and one apple juice, was about 54 Euros (which is the same as we were charged on the first day at a tourist-trap cafe for one omelette, one crepe, some chips and some drinks.) I would say that in Brugge, this is *very* good value for the environment, the service and the standard of food. I have no idea of the quality of the meat and fish dishes served; I can only say that any vegetarians visiting Brugge should definitely check out de Buhne. We were so charmed by the experience and so grateful to have found such nice food after our previous difficulties that we couldn't stop thanking the lady - hopefully we didn't freak her out too much.

A wee gem of a restaurant - very highly recommended.

3  Thank Kate F
Reviewed October 10, 2013

I would not hesitate in recommending de buhne - the chef and his partner are idealists in their attention to their menu. The food is given the respect of a michelin restuarant without the fanfare. Every item on the menu from beginning to end is produced inhouse with organic local produce.

1  Thank SveinErik17