“Second time here - this time with the kids!”

Bierbrasserie Cambrinus
Ranked #54 of 713 Restaurants in Bruges
Cuisines: Belgian
Good for: Local cuisine, Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Hastings
“Second time here - this time with the kids!”
Reviewed January 11, 2013

We last visited Cambrinus in August 2011 and having had such a good weekend away, my husband and I decided to bring our children to Bruge for the Christmas Market. I read some reviews before we left and was slightly worried as they were very mixed. We phoned and booked for 5pm both nights of our stay before while in the UK, as our children are 3 and 5 and we wanted to be sure of a table. The staff were very child friendly and had reserved very suitable tables, and we had lovely food here. They have a children's menu, with chips, pasta options. I had steak one night that was delicious and chicken and chips the next that was great, just the thing after a day of walking, ice skating and horse and carriage rides! It was very busy, I don't think they are ever half empty but next time we may think about going earlier or at lunchtime when there are not so many people. It was a good atmosphere for us adults and we felt we got some time for us to enjoy 'adults time!'. Based on how friendly the staff were to our children and the empty plates, we will definitely be back!

• Visited December 2012

• Turkish first
Surrey
“Beer lovers paradise”
Reviewed January 9, 2013

Although it's been said in several reviews beforehand, the choice of beers at this great bar have to be experienced to be believed. We couldn't find a bad one despite trying very hard; well that's my excuse for 3 visits in 3 days. The beer cocktails don't sound appealing -Kriek with Cava or wheat beer with pineapple juice, but were surprisingly good as an alternative. The menu is useful if you know what type of beer you are looking for and the staff were helpful in narrowing down choices. Cambrinus gets very busy in the evenings so worth booking a table, we found the food to be tasty, comforting and matched the drinks well. If you are visiting Bruge this place is a must visit.

Kingston-upon-Hull, United Kingdom
“excellent food, beer, atmosphere - hope you can get in”
Reviewed January 7, 2013

We visited Bruges for Christmas market and stayed at Hotel Malleberg for one night ( excellent and just around ther corner from this brasserie)- 6th December 2012, we found Cambrinus for first time ( of many visits to Bruges) and will defintely return on every future visit. We drank there early afternnon of our first day and immediately booked for evening meal and luckily got a table for 8pm. service is excellent, there are approx 78 seats + some at the bar with selection of table sizes for 2 - 6 persons with some on high stools/tables, atmospheric decour, very clean, a wide selection of beers with a massive menu. Food - evening was excellent but large portions! and wide selection again - try the Flemish Carbonades - came with massive dish of fries(about 16 euro) and rabbit with prunes and potato croquettes( about 18 euro) and you will want them again. Service very good, friendly atmosphere, at reasonable price but you will need to book for evening meal to be sure of a table. we returned for final visit before leaving and it was just as full ( Christmas block booking ) but still managed to get a seat and snack.

• Visited December 2012
Chicago, Illinois
“Amazing beer selection, food is great”
Reviewed January 6, 2013

Cambrinus has any beer you could possibly imagine, so if you're a beer lover this is your mecca. The beer menu is a literal encyclopedia of beers, at least 50 pages long. It can be overwhelming, but they have the selections divided by type to make your selection easier. The food is really quite delicious, but the portions are HUGE, even by American standards, so I suggest splitting a plate unless you are really hungry. A tip: Cambrinus gets very busy for dinner, and we were able to get a table around 6:00, but if we had come any later we would not have been able to be seated, so get a reservation for dinner if you can.

Visited January 2013
New York City, New York
“The food is nearly as memorable as the beer, and that is saying something!”
Reviewed January 6, 2013

During our September trip to Bruges, I made sure that we stopped in at Cambrinus - I had eaten dinner there during a solo trip to Bruges in 2007, and I remembered it being a wonderful dinner, more for the beer than for the food.

Well, this time with my wife and her mom, we went for lunch. I may have just ordered well, but then again, the two ladies also enjoyed their food! In any case, the beer was first-rate, and the food was quite nice as well. I had a duck breast salad that was thrilling - thin slices of rare breast with nice greens and a mustardy vinaigrette. Mmmm.

The beer menu, as at any kind of beer cathedral like this, was a bible. I had ideas about what I wanted, though, so it didn't take me long to choose a Steenbrugge Quadrupel. Oh man. From the first sip, I felt like I had died and gone to heaven.

I love the style of the decor - it reminded all of us of a good English pub - and the service, which I hear can be spotty, was pretty good in our case. We seated ourselves when there were no signs of a host/ess, but after a couple minutes a server showed up with menus, and after that things went pretty smoothly.

• Visited September 2012