“Hilariously awful”

Ranked #38 of 153 things to do in Bruges
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Belgium is famous for its frites—and the Friet Museum gives visitors a chance to sample fried potatoes and various complementary sauces, as well as typical Belgian dishes such as meat balls and beef stew. Digest a bit of learning and history along with your food at this educational spot, housed in a building that dates back to the 14th century.
Reviewed August 12, 2012

I'm not sure what more to say, it was so boring and took only 15 minutes to get round. Chips in the fry shop downstairs were awful! Great if you want to be able to say you've been to a chip museum but not much else.

1  Thank suzychad

Reviewed August 8, 2012

I am a fry fanatic and was really excited about this museum--mostly just that it exists at all. I really enjoyed reading about the history of the potato and how fries were developed. I would say that if you are not a huge fan of this delicious starch, this museum probably isn't worth your time. Our admission ticket got us 40 cents off of the frys in the basement, but it would have been nice if they were included in the cost.

I do have to disagree with some of the reviewers. The fries in Bruge are better than most fries I've had--abd we make it a point to try them most places we go. They are cooked to perfection, and salted just enough. If you don't want to spend your time in the museum reading about the origin of the potato, at least grab some friets from the green stands in the Markt.

Reviewed August 5, 2012

To be fair, we went to this museum for [--] and giggles because it just seemed so bizarre that we had to give it a shot. The museum is really well done and thy definitely made an effort to put together any and everything to do with fries. Some parts are serious (weird mannequins plowing potatoes in fields lol) and other parts are quirky (giant fry displays with face cutouts for picture opportunities), but overall it's just wayyyy too much information about potatoes and fries and stuff you make fries in etc. etc. Kids might really like it here and I suppose the fries at the end were good, but we did have better elsewhere in Bruges. Anyway, if your time is limited I would definitely skip this place!

1  Thank MrsSmarts
Reviewed July 29, 2012

The part telling us the history of the potatoe was interesting and the other parts about old ways of making 'friet' and the 'frietkraam' were a lot of fun. Loved the fries in the basement, although them being a bit on the expensive side.

Reviewed July 22, 2012

The tour is a self-guided, reading tour. It was definitely interesting and we learned more about fries than we ever thought possible. It is a lot to read and the museum was quite warm. However, the fries at the end were very good. One bag is plenty for two people. My wife and I bought a bag for each of us and it took us a while to get through them. However, we were not complaining. Honestly though, if you have done everything else in Bruges, it is something else to do. However, I think there are some other possibilities that might be better.