“Tasty but expensive”

Ranked #593 of 734 Restaurants in Bruges
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed August 31, 2013

We dropped in here without doing a lot of research. Food was good, but as others point out there are often 'extras' offered without really explaining they are extra costs. Overall, given we were traveling and eating in the center of town, it wasn't bad. We did enjoy the meal.

There are newer reviews for Mozarthuys

Reviewed August 18, 2013

I love this restaurant, really I do, but they are in dire danger of letting themselves down with their selling strategy - which appears faultless and is delivered in such a friendly manner you hardly mind that you are being fleeced, until the bill arrives.

My example is this, my partner and I chose the meat on hot stones meal, this meal is provided with either chips or rice. Upon ordering the waiter asked ".... With chips and salad?" (Salad added another 6 euros to the bill). Wine was reasonably priced with a good variety. My partner had asked for the mixed meat dish, again the waiter presented the question "... With which sauce is that?" ... Add another 3.5 euros. "Perhaps you would like some fresh water with your meal." (6 more euros) followed by, "how about some garlic bread while you wait?" (5.50 euros).

All in all this added 21 euros to an original bill for 73 euros for only 2 people. The waiter then had the nerve to point out when I paid by card that if I would like to leave a tip the option was there on the screen before I went any further. My act of entering my pin almost added a substantial amount to the bill in the form of a tip.

I applaud the customer service, and quality of the food, but I recommend informing the waiter at the outset that you wish to be informed of all additional costs, before you get swept up in the enthusiasm of the moment.

Reviewed August 16, 2013

My partner and I had dinner one evening when visiting Bruges on a 3 day break and it was ok !! It's a little pricey, but I think all the restaurants in Bruges are the same !!
We shared Garlic bread then I had Meatballs with Chips which I quite enjoyed, the sauce was good, but I could have eaten more !!
My partner loves fish and went for the fresh Salmon and Sea Bass that you cook yourself on a slab, she had more than enough fish, plenty of salad, mushrooms that went on the slab too and fresh onion.
All in all I wasn't disappointed and thought it was an ok meal so surprised at the feedback others seem to have given,... I just think you have to know it's not going to be too formal when you arrive.

I tell you what we did notice, a restaurant almost opposite that had TA sticker on its entrance stating it was the number 1 restaurant in Bruges for 2013,... but strangely it seemed empty in comparison to the others and I've not been able to find it !!

Reviewed July 25, 2013

We visited this restaurant a couple of days ago and we were charged 24 Euro for 4 glasses of water !! Fair enough on the menu you will find Mineral water 50cl for 6 euro. We were given 4 modest size glasses certainly not 2 litres. !!
So make sure you read the small print and if they can rip you off with the water I would check out the rest before ordering anything.
This gives Bruges a very bad image.
They are NOT on their own almost all the establishments around the main square are cashing in e.g 6 euros for a coffee.

Reviewed July 16, 2013

Good service from a waiter who really knew how to encourage ordering extras!! Food lovely but overall very expensive with lunch costing twice what we paid on previous 2 weeks of holiday in Germany and Italy - good central location - did I say it ws expensive??