“A lovely New Year's Eve”
Review of Tom's Diner

Tom's Diner
Ranked #62 of 744 Restaurants in Bruges
Cuisines: International, Fusion
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed January 4, 2013 via mobile

For our 10th wedding anniversary I had booked a 3 course meal with cava on either side. We spent over 5 hours in this restaurant and saw the New Year in. Lovely food, wine and pleasant service - highly recommended.

1  Thank AnneCowdale

Reviewed December 26, 2012

Atmosphere here is just pitched perfectly. It feels classy but with a nice homely twist and bright bar. Food dishes are really individual and are well priced. Proprietors are attentive and helpful, you're made to feel comfortable quickly. This is just off the beaten track in Bruges but this is welcoming after much of the city centre drivel that gets served up night after night. You'd have to go a fair distance to find a similar experience.

Reviewed December 21, 2012

It was raining heavily when we arrived in Ieper and we were looking for somewhere to have a drink and a meal before the 8pm last post service at Menin Gate.
Tom's looked small and a little old fashioned (peach napkins and artificial flowers) to begin with but the food turned out to be spectacular.
We both tried meals native to the region, mine the veal and my husband, the mussels! Wow! just lovely, and the price was extremely good value. I would highly recommend this place for either a meal, or a quiet beer or too!

Reviewed December 11, 2012

Lucky to have been able to walk-in and get a table, we had an exquisite meal with wonderful service. Unassuming from the front the layout, decor and ambience is a welcome oasis of modernity in the otherwise historic city. Certain that their chef could hold a Michelin Star but thankful that the prices do not reflect the quality of the fare; i.e. very reasonably priced [for Bruges].

Reviewed December 6, 2012

This little place - which is indeed much more than a diner looks-wise - is located right around the corner from where I live, so when we couldn't get a reservation at the place I wanted, we decided to give it a try. The reviews on Tripadvisor had certainly been promising.

The restaurant is quite hidden in a quiet street outside the more touristy area of Bruges. I really loved the atmosphere, very classy and chic, at least upstairs where we were seated. Downstairs it seemed rather crowded and noisy, especially as the evening went on.

Prices are not exorbitant, but definitely not especially affordable (starters and desserts are especially pricey). However, I was quite disappointed by the quality of the food. It was not bad, but considering the setting and the prices, I expected more - homemade pasta, for example, and not the same cheap store-bought on I can get in every pasta bar in Bruges. Somehow it feels a little as if the owner had this idea of a small, elegant, upmarket restaurant, but failed to properly implement the idea.

The service was certainly not helpful either. While the waiters were friendly and polite, they were not very efficient. Waiting time for food and service was quite long at times. It took 30 minutes for the first course to arrive, and another 45 minutes for the main course. As mentioned by other reviewers, the wine was placed on a small table out of reach and we had to wait for the waiters to come and refill our glasses, which they did only irregularly. We waited for more than half an hour to pay after we had asked for the bill, and decided to go downstairs in the end. Lucky we did, otherwise we might have waited for another hour.
Another thing I found slightly unpleasant was that we were served by a total of four different waiters. I expect different from a restaurant that pretends to be sophisticated.

All in all, I really like the atmosphere, but the general experience is not necessarily worth it (100€ for a three course meal incl. wine for two people). It's a little pretentious and feels like it would like to be more than it actually is. Try to go on a less busy day (during the week or for lunch perhaps), then the downsides of the restaurant might be less pronounced.

4  Thank Niris_17