“what a great find”

Cuisines: French
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed April 12, 2014

After reading about this small bistro on TA we really wanted to try it out and I'm so glad we did. It is not an easy place to find ( went past it twice while it was closed and missed it) At lunchtime it was very busy so we booked to make sure we could get in for that evening. The welcome was warm and friendly and we were made to feel very much at home. The food although not a large menu was cooked to perfection, we had Lamb and I can honestly say it was one of the best cooked dishes we had for some time. We would highly recommend this small intimate bistro, it for us summed up a very pleasant stay in a very beautiful city.

Reviewed April 2, 2014

Based on Tripadvisor reviews, my husband & I set ourselves the challange of finding this French restaurant in a little alley. What a gem! Marsherbes, felt as if you were stepping into someone's home, very cosy, and homely. We were made to feel very welcome, and this tiny restaurant had a great atmosphere.
The chef took much pride in his food, and at front of house, his wife, who spoke 4 languages, engaged well with her customers in helping them with menu choices.
We shared a salmon & cheese quiche for starters, with a side salad. It was plenty for 2 and was very flavoursome. The pastry was so light it just melted, the subtle flavours in the salad and dressing complimented the quiche well.
My husband chose steak from the specials board, with veg and dauphinoise potatoes, my choice was Coq au vin from the main menu. Both meals were very well presented, with generous portions. The entire meal was so tasty, and packed with flavour. Even the potato was the tastiest that I ever remember eating!
We were so impressed with the quality of the food, and the welcoming atmosphere, that we returned the following night. ( Something that we never do) Luckily, second night in a row, we were only just able to have a table, as we arrived early. The couple took it as a great compliment that we had returned . Needless to say, we had a superb meal, second time around. Think we will be talking about this place for some time!

Reviewed March 23, 2014

Malesherbes is an extremely small restaurant down a little lane off Katelijnestraat in Bruges. It matters little that the tables are too close together and that intimacy is somewhat undermined by the noisy chatter of modern people. The food is to die for. It is not cheap but then sensitive cooking takes time and preparation. Such care comes at a price. I had not eaten like this for years and my wife could not remember when last she had savoured a meal so succulent and redolent of flavour. We both had the fish soup which was served with small toasts and a savoury crème dressing. The Irish steak was served with a Roquefort sauce, vegetables and potatoes dauphinoise. I am not a great fan of the potato but this was incomparable. Every mouthful of the steak in its sauce was exquisite joy. The service was excellent, attentive and noticing, without being intrusive. The house red wine which we had was well chosen and more than suitable for our main course. To go to Bruges and not dine at Malasherbes is to miss one of the old town’s more memorable features.
Book early!

QuietCelt

1  Thank QuietCelt
Reviewed March 13, 2014

We went on a Tues evening, it is very small with only 16 covers, quite difficult to find down a small alleyway. But based on TA reviews thought we would visit (best to book as it's so small) Tables are fairly close together so not really for intimate conversation but nice if you like to get to know your neighbors. Lovely smell of cooking when we entered, service very laid back and menu not huge but good choice of all meat, fish etc plus specials on the board. Portions are large! It's not fussy food, but well presented and tasty. Would recommend if you fancy good food in a homely atmosphere. My quiche starter was the nicest I have ever had and I make my own! The staff were pleasant and unhurried. I think this small place has a great chef and lots of potential.

Reviewed February 23, 2014

You will not find this little gem of a place in the open streets but tucked away down a small ally. Make sure that you do eat here though. We ate here last night and we're not disappointed. Firstly the clientele were mainly local always a good sign. We both had fantastic food. I opted for the special board with pigeon pate and fois gras the other has an asset of tasting served with a well dressed salad. For mains I has the sea bass served with veg and mash on a langoustine bisque really good. The other had cassoulet, delicious. Tasted authentic and the wine we selected was a perfect match for the dishes. Deserts well was another treat all home made. I had the prune tart with vanilla ice cream the other a decadent tart au chocolate. Heaven for the chocky lovers. Welcoming service and a passionate chef wanting to achieve high. Make sure you seek this one out we are certainly glad we did. Remember to book it is a small dining area.