“House "whine"”

Cuisines: French
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed May 17, 2013

We were looking forward to dining here and were greeted warmly by the owners. Our expectations were high and we were very disappointed. I had the Coq au Vin and found the chicken dry. The pork dish was rated just OK by two of the others. The biggest surprise came with the check when the "house wine" was billed at 46 Euros. Perhaps I was naive but when offered house wine I expect a good wine at a reasonable price. I did not complain as we were celebrating a birthday. The owners were very nice so we smiled and left, knowing that we would not return.

anne n, Manager at Malesherbes, responded to this reviewResponded May 27, 2013

California"whine"'
We find it ever so strange that our house wine is listed at 18€ instead of 46€ ! It must have been a mistake in your reading abilities or language barrier, nevertheless we do apologise that we apparently ruined your birthday party! We do find it strange that we have not served pork in 25 years running our business! Let's hope, since this your first trip advisor review, that your second review is accurate!

Reviewed May 8, 2013

This restaurant was indeed the highlight of our brief one day trip to Bruges.
This cosy restaurant is situated along a small narrow passage way, which only adds to the charm of this place. The establishment is run by two amiable ladies ( each called Anne ).
Even though the dining room was almost full, Anne ( the chef ), was able to give us a warm welcome.The other Anne guided my wife and I to our table, allowing us to relax a little, before handing us a menu, and explaining the specials on the blackboard.
The set menu is short and concise,as are the specials.
We each chose from the board....For our first course:- carpaccio of beef fillet. This was a sensational dish, served with shavings of parmesan and rocket leaves.
For mains we had the lamb fillet which came medium rare and served with a selection of vegetables, along with a delicious jus.
For desert, my wife chose the frangipane tart and I the chocolate tart. Both splendid.

During the meal the house red is a great choice and comes from the Longuedoc region of France.A nice touch is the addition of some tasty 'nibbles' and bread, served before the meal.

Booking here is essential, and if we ever return please make the carpaccio of beef available once more Anne!

Reviewed May 4, 2013 via mobile

Wandering through Bruges I decided to follow the tripadvisor guidance. Rated #9 out of 400+ restaurants in Bruges, Malesherbes was just around the corner. We were early and a couple just canceled so we were lucky. We ate both starter and main course from the black board. Scampi and Sea Bass. Both were simple, super, fresh and impressive. Service was amazing. Their wine list is among the best I have seen - good wines for a good price. I will never forget this dinner and i recommend Malesherbes to everyone!

1  Thank Robbie_P0
Reviewed April 30, 2013

I never thought I would crave salad, but the one we had here (a blackboard special) was amazing... smoked duck, apples, foie gras, pine nuts, and onions, all lightly dressed with something tangy and slightly sweet and perfect... I'm starting to salivate just writing this.

We hadn't made a reservation, but the hostess was super sweet and lovely, and managed to squeeze us in. She later told us we could move to an adjacent table (which was deeper into the restaurant) when one of the reservations didn't show, and then suggested putting our cameras on it so we could have more room (!) Note: They close Mondays and Tuesdays (we tried to make reservations for the following night, but alas!)

My friend also loved the fish soup she ordered, and my smoked salmon quiche was also delicious. That salad was unforgettable though... I still can't believe I'm gushing over a salad.

Fantastic food, great value, and warm, wonderful service.

1  Thank xjynx
Reviewed April 25, 2013

Malesherbes is a terrific find. Located on a small side street it has a very intimate and family setting. The dining area is small, tables are close together and everyone starts talking to each other. It is really nice. The whole thing is run by Anne in the kitchen who does a great cuisine familiale with added interest. The tables are supervised by the other Anne who is engaging and gets the whole place buzzing. I really loved the place. A must in Bruges!!

1  Thank EHIggins