“Best dinner I had in Brugge. Exceptional dessert” 5 of 5 bubbles

Malesherbes
Ranked #114 of 701 Restaurants in Bruges
Cuisines: French, European, Belgian
Good for: Families with children, Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
oklahoma city
“Best dinner I had in Brugge. Exceptional dessert”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2012

The Cod was very good, but not good enough to justify the price. However, I have no doubt other things would be delicious. Every dish she brought out looked scrumptious. And judging from all the compliments I heard, I think if I came back, I would be more than satisfied. The cod was a special for the day. The other things on the menu were half the price, and they looked delicious as she brought them out. Every plate she set down got a reaction from the guest, and they all seemed to give genuine compliments for each dish after she took them away the empty plates as well.

The dessert was the highlight. I had the tarte au chocolat. Unfortunately the description falls tragically short of how wonderful and elaborate the dish is. This is one of those desserts you will want to lick clean.

The service was great. The woman who waited on all the tables was extremely warm and friendly. The menu was not in english, but she took the time to answer all my questions. I know it's a small thing, but when I ordered dessert, she said "oh, that's a good choice." I like it when the waitress genuinely cares about the food.

I only saw 7 tables and chairs for 18 people. There was an upstairs, but I'm not sure if there was seating there. Make reservations. You probably only need half a day's notice. I was lucky to be there when a couple didn't show up.

It's easier to find thank it looks. There will be a narrow alley with a sign that points to it from Katelijnnestraat.

• Visited August 2012

Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
“Really great service & yummy French fare”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2012

My husband and I read some reviews on tripadvisor for this place and decided to give it a try. The tiny restaurant is open for a very short time for both lunch and dinner (~2 hours each), so reservations are essential. If you walk past, then number to call is on the door outside. The woman who runs the place is super friendly and provides excellent service.

We both had the cassoulet - a French favorite of ours and it was delicious. We were too stuffed to try anything else though, which was a bummer because I'm sure it was great. There are daily specials that sounded delicious, but since living overseas we don't get a chance for cassoulet often and couldn't pass it up.

The entrees are 15-20 euros each.

Highly recommended.

• Visited August 2012
2 Thank TravelingSmythes
Guildford, United Kingdom
“Well prepared, authentic French food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2012

Bruges is a city which has more than its fair share of "tourist" restaurants, so during a week stay I searched for a good alternative which had reliable sounding reviews. Malesherbes was rated highly on Trip Advisor so my wife and I gave it a try. It surpassed my expectations in all respects.

This tiny restaurant (which adjoins the delicatessen which is open during the day) only has seats for about 20 people so booking is advisable. However the quality of the food reflects the fact that the chef can prepare individual meals with a lot of care. Some criticism has been made elsewhere on this site about the food served. Based on my recent visit, the criticism appears to come from people who haven't enjoyed Malesherbes' French food made in the traditional way. If you like French food made the way that the French enjoy it, this is the place for you. My Cassoulet of Confit of Duck was lovely and the Tarte Tatin came with a green apple sorbet. All mouth-watering.

Service was relaxed but polished. When we said we were not ordering a starter to leave room for a dessert, the waitress immediately put our portions of Tarte Tatin aside for us. She had a great command of English and did everything to make our experience memorable (which is why I'm writing this).

Prices were higher than you might expect for a little restaurant tucked away down an alleyway but were perfectly fair for the quality of food and service that we received. The staff seem more at home with food than technology, so there is no website and phoning is recommended when booking.

When next in Bruges I'll certainly go back!

Please note they close on Monday and Tuesday (so the waitress suggested a couple of her favourite restaurants for us on those days).

• Visited July 2012
1 Thank NeilD_London
Munich, Germany
“I will come back whenever I am in Bruges”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2012

This was the best restaurant I have been in a very long time. Nice atmosphere because it is small and packed with delicatessen. The service was great and you are served by the owners directly. But of course the best was the food. We were all delighted by this superb French cuisine! My personal highlight was the mixed starter plate that was just a dream. Not all main dishes have been left when we ordered but for me this is a sign that everything is really fresh, and my second choice was also delicious. Also the mixed cheese plate in the end should not been missed. The wine was also great.

Do not forget to reserve beforehand!

• Visited April 2012
2 Thank Dr_Ju
UK
“Great French Food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2012

We were recommended by our hotel and were not disappointed. Fabulous food and friendly attentive staff.

• Visited May 2012