“Great location with acceptable food.”

Le Grand Cafe Belfort
Ranked #617 of 756 Restaurants in Bruges
Cuisines: Afghani
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Traditional Belgian cuisine. belgian beers. Heated terrace. Fire place.
Reviewed February 17, 2013

Given its location, the Cafe Belfort is probably frequented by tourists who won't be back again - and the waiters make sure that this is the case! We visited on a Saturday night in February. The food was good, portions reasonable and the kitchen service was fine. the meal itself was good value for money. The atmosphere was fine, and the view from the window was great. We had wine with the meal which was overpriced, and were refused a jug of tap water to go with it! Manuel from Fawlty Towers could have had a hand in training the waiters. All in all a good evening, which could have been very good had the waiters not been so surly.

Reviewed January 27, 2013

This restaurant is conveniently located and in fact, it looks rather decent from the outside. My husband and I decided to have dinner there. Service was mediocre. The staff was impatient and not friendly. My husband ordered the mussels in cream sauce. The sauce was so diluted and the mussels were not fresh. I had salmon and potato gratin. The potato gratin was burnt and tasted really bad. Still, we did not complain. The dinner caused us 65 euros. After we went back to the hotel, he started to have a stomachache and became feverish during the night. He could not sleep well and he woke up several times. The morning after, he vomited 5 times. We highly suspect that it could be the mussels that he had taken that night that caused this. Very disappointing. I would not recommend this place to anyone.

2  Thank shuyan-c
Reviewed January 5, 2013 via mobile

Don't let the location or apparel fool you, pass this one. Bad food, unpolite waiter. Just don't go here, you'll be sure to be disappointed.

1  Thank RPB2
Reviewed January 2, 2013 via mobile

I entered the café with my girlfriend as we could see from outside several tables which were free. When we asked the waiter a table for two, he screamed apparently without any reason three times 'Full! Full! Full!'. So I tried to bring back the conversation on a human scale, showing him the free tables and explaining that we would have had a fast meal as we were only two. No way, the monkey was back. His answer had been: 'Out! Out!'.

2  Thank bartowski
Reviewed December 27, 2012

My wife and I went to this restaurant hoping for a quick bite. It was raining and we were not very hungry. We asked for the dessert menu as we sat down so we could order waffles together with our main course. The rudest waiter we ever met just replied "This is a restaurant not a tea house, we do not serve dessert."

How he can blatantly say such a thing, we will never know. The next table was having their dessert then and were they shocked as well! Having had our mood thoroughly spoilt, our main course of mussels with grit arrived, completely tasteless.

We eventually had our way and had waffles for dessert which was hard and also tasteless. Avoid this restaurant and the one on its left. They are linked inside and are the same establishment!

2  Thank b c