“Ridiculous prices and horrible service”

La Taverne Brugeoise
Ranked #640 of 761 Restaurants in Bruges
Cuisines: Belgian
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed February 9, 2014

The prices of this restaurant are beyond absurbd. If I order a milkshake which costs 8,50 euros I expect a huge shake with whipped cream and a bloody cherry on top.
It looked a lot more like an ice cold chocolate milk. Ridiculous.
Same goes for the rest of the food and drinks: expensive for no good reason what so ever. Don't ever go here.

1  Thank Nathalie W
Write a ReviewReviews (1,161)

Reviewed August 31, 2013

Firstly we were enticed in by an 18 Euro set menu which was not included in the menu we were given, in a painfully obvious attempt to rip us off.

We asked about the menu and a very rude, grumpy, short, bald man who seemed very disgruntled that we wanted the set menu gave us one menu between us. Portions were small and disappointing and we had to pay extra for bread to go with our Pate. We were also charged 6 Euros for a coke which clearly came out of a bottle and was borderline flat.

The worst part about this restaurant was when we came to pay. Despite showing the Visa sign, when we requested to pay by card the owner said that we had to pay by cash. We then said that they were displaying the "we accept visa sign" and he then said "well it's broken so you will need to take cash out". I was dubious about how genuine this comment was so said that I was not going to take cash out on abroad as I would be charged more. He then just walked off and left us. We were really embarrassed, it was the last night of the holiday so we didn't have any cash. We then got up to leave as he had left us little choice, it seemed that our payment was not good enough. At this point the card machine mirculously started working. We had had to argue with him publically first and were made to feel like criminals.

I would point out that the english server was very pleasant and clearly embarrassed by the owner. All the same, unless you want to receive zero service, poor food and generally feel really unconfortable whilst dining I would recommend choosing a different place to eat. It would be better to pay more elsewhere. The worst restaurant experience we have ever had, by far.

3  Thank Emma S
Reviewed August 19, 2013

I wish that I had read some of these reviews before choosing to eat here. The service was terrible, the food was appalling and the prices exorbitant. We were enticed into eating here by the menu offering Croque Messieur. My wife and I bothe ordered the Croque Messieur and a medium glass of Fanta. When the sandwiches arrived they were nothing more than a toasted ham and cheese sandwich, not the typical French version with a cheese or cheese sauce on top. But the real problem was that it was the worst ham and cheese sandwich that we had ever eaten. A very thin slice of ham and a very thin slice of cheese, certainly not gruyere, and toasted until it was dry and crisp. For the two sandwiches and two soft drinks we paid 30 euro.

1  Thank Johnno37
Reviewed August 14, 2013 via mobile

We visited on a day trip to Bruges, looking for somewhere to enjoy the sun. Deciding that all the restaurants on the square were pretty much the same we went for the one with the best table available - but we soon learnt why it had the spare tables. The waiter was incredibly rude and the first thing he said to us was "drink?" which included an €8 bottle of water, and a €22 warm bottle of wine. He then asked for our food order and when we didn't answer immediately walked off saying he would come back. There were flies buzzing around the next table as it was left with dirty plates after the customers had left. The food was incredibly average and we were charged €5 for each small portion of frites and each small salad (which we were not made aware that they were not uncluded in the price of the meal). Do not eat here, massive waste of money and rude service.

1  Thank Becky W
Reviewed August 10, 2013 via mobile

Bad service bad food and high prices do not eat here. From the moment I stepped into this restaurant I regret our choice and was horrified went I went to pay and was charged €8 for a bottle of water that I couldn't even take with me cause I haven't finished it.

1  Thank Rmcgroarty