“Do not eat here”

Cuisines: Belgian
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed August 19, 2013

I wish that I had read some of these reviews before choosing to eat here. The service was terrible, the food was appalling and the prices exorbitant. We were enticed into eating here by the menu offering Croque Messieur. My wife and I bothe ordered the Croque Messieur and a medium glass of Fanta. When the sandwiches arrived they were nothing more than a toasted ham and cheese sandwich, not the typical French version with a cheese or cheese sauce on top. But the real problem was that it was the worst ham and cheese sandwich that we had ever eaten. A very thin slice of ham and a very thin slice of cheese, certainly not gruyere, and toasted until it was dry and crisp. For the two sandwiches and two soft drinks we paid 30 euro.

1  Thank Johnno37
There are newer reviews for La Taverne Brugeoise

Reviewed August 14, 2013 via mobile

We visited on a day trip to Bruges, looking for somewhere to enjoy the sun. Deciding that all the restaurants on the square were pretty much the same we went for the one with the best table available - but we soon learnt why it had the spare tables. The waiter was incredibly rude and the first thing he said to us was "drink?" which included an €8 bottle of water, and a €22 warm bottle of wine. He then asked for our food order and when we didn't answer immediately walked off saying he would come back. There were flies buzzing around the next table as it was left with dirty plates after the customers had left. The food was incredibly average and we were charged €5 for each small portion of frites and each small salad (which we were not made aware that they were not uncluded in the price of the meal). Do not eat here, massive waste of money and rude service.

1  Thank Becky W
Reviewed August 10, 2013 via mobile

Bad service bad food and high prices do not eat here. From the moment I stepped into this restaurant I regret our choice and was horrified went I went to pay and was charged €8 for a bottle of water that I couldn't even take with me cause I haven't finished it.

1  Thank Rmcgroarty
Reviewed July 22, 2013

Unfortunately the main reason you are reading this is likely to be that you are checking post visit or posting a negative review. Given this & other reviews, avoid at all costs!

Visited as a party of 4, including elderly father, on short trip to Brugges. Took a risk on our first evening as tired, location good & ‘fixed price’ menu on board at front (in English) looked OK.

After that:
• Service was exceptionally slow from start to finish – completely disinterested in us despite not being very busy.
• This may have been partly as we insisted on using the ‘fixed price’ menu rather than the ‘a la carte’ then provided – strangely the latter comprehensive & in English, the former a single page & not in English. A requested translation left us little the wiser!
• Food was just about OK but portions small – comparison to the menu stretched credibility – perhaps lost something in the interpretation………
• Noted that both occupied adjacent tables sent meals back – as not what ordered (note this on other reviews).
• One (a young couple) finally ended up in a protracted argument over the bill, which involved a threat to call the police (by the waiter) & a refusal to fetch the Manager (one of the double act of staff may well have been the Manager?).
• Our bill, when it finally came, had 3 completely fictitious additional drinks (cost c.€20) included which we had not ordered or consumed. When this was pointed out, it was originally met by a ‘you had it, you must pay’ – but finally backed down when the main waiter intervened, by which time all 4 of us, had converged on the till area to protest.
The staff here work together at ripping Tourists off.

2  Thank Sotongirl49
Reviewed July 20, 2013

Me and my boyfriend visited this restaurant on our first night in Bruges. Looking at the menu everything was completely overpriced but thought we would try it anyway. I then noticed that our waiter stank of b.o every time he would come over it was unbearable to be next to him. Our food came out and it looked worse than a microwave meal. My fish was half cold half warm which made it unbearable to eat. The chips were awful and my boyfriends meal was just the same completely tasteless. We got the bill and the price was crazy for what we just ate. I've honestly never experienced a worse meal. We both left feeling annoyed at the prices we had just paid. Such a tourist trap don't bother going to any restaurants in the square !

2  Thank EmmaPorter13