“Conveniently close to a few hotels on t'Zand square.”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of De Londres

De Londres
Ranked #577 of 707 Restaurants in Bruges
Cuisines: Belgian, European
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
High Wycombe, England, United Kingdom
“Conveniently close to a few hotels on t'Zand square.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2013

This restaurant was next to our hotel - we ate here to avoid the short walk to the historic areas on our last night in Bruges as it was raining and we were tired.

We wished we'd tried it earlier in our stay - we had good food at better prices than most of the restaurants nearer the centre. Not exceptional, but perfectly acceptable. Usual good range of beer and wine (for a Belgian restaurant). Excellent frites (some of the best we had in Belgium).

We had reasonable service, but it wasn't busy at the time.

• Visited November 2013

Windsor, United Kingdom
“Not very accomodating”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2013

I was there just a few days ago with my husband and good friend for a day of chocolate and clock shopping in Bruges. I eat a healthy diet that doesn't include frites or potato of any kind and like to stick to fresh whole foods. After stopping at this restaurant for a quick drink we decided to stay for dinner. At first we were told that we could not stay at our outside table to eat and had to move inside. Then we were told that they'd changed their minds and we could stay seated outside. That was nice.

My husband ordered the waffle with cream...easy enough. My friend ordered the 'hamburger' which was served without a bun so perhaps that bit is cultural as it's not what I would consider to be a hamburger but they were kind enough to inform us of this in advance. Thanks for that. I then ordered the salmon with vegetable cream sauce and asked if I could have a small salad on the side instead of frites. The answer? No. I asked if I could have vegetables of any kind on the side besides frites. No again. I then inquired about the vegetable soup and if she could tell me how it was prepared. The server couldn't tell me and was not about to find out or suggest something else. Heaven forbid they accommodate the salad substitute I asked for previously which in today's world should be easy to do. Really...how hard is it to throw some green salad on the plate and take away the frites? I can't imagine this would send their profit margin into the cosmos. This exchange seemed particularly taxing and I ended up ordering nothing. Shame as I was really hungry but De Londres was just not worth it.

I should have been suspicious of the service as when the server initially approached our table there was no jovial greeting of hello but instead we got an "I'm listening". I guess this is her charming way of saying "What would you like to have for dinner?"

The restaurant sits on a lively street with tons of other restaurants. We chose there as we had been once before for tea and coffee and my husband really liked the Italian coffee. I won't be returning for a third time. There are many other options to choose from.

• Visited October 2013
Barnsley, United Kingdom
“Poor Food and Complaint Ignored”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 11, 2012

This restaurant was quite close to our hotel, about 10 minutes from the main square. We called in for lunch to have Moules et Frittes which were fine, but it is difficult to cook it poorly.. On the following day, I had duck which was tough and looked like it had been cooked, or left standing, for hours. When I told the waiter, the response was that he would tell the chef. It was not mentioned further, there was no apology and they did not attempt to compensate us with a discount or complimentary drink. Really poor; stay away!

• Visited December 2012
Kent, United Kingdom
“Far too slow!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 2, 2012

Went there yesterday on someone's recommendation! Big mistake, the food when it eventually came was a bit bland and even by European standards service was dire, we waited ages for everything, the only waiter was rushed off his feet and forgot things he was asked for ie 3 times for a glass of water and more bread! Unfortunately we spent most of our delayed coach trip in this venue leaving little time for shopping etc I had to ask 3 times for the bill having to take my card to the bar to force payment! I cannot recommend this restaurant unless you have several hours to spare!

• Visited December 2012
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Nothing special but did the trick.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 17, 2012

A chilly, wet day, even in Bruges is enough to force you into making decisions to get out of the rain if you're hungry. This is where we ended up after much self derision over choosing such an obviously touristy venue on one of the lesser traveled squares. De Londres certainly doesn't bank on trying to entice you in and simply rides on the "we have a restaurant in Bruges and there's lots of people visiting who need to eat" but that said, it wasn't totally grim. There was a poor kid of about 14 serving everyone, which seemed to be just clearing out after a busy lunch. He did his best but should please take note of his nails before serving again. Once we ordered the food was actually fairly decent, we opted for the predictable Flemish carbonad, etc. It's not the worst, it's not the best, it served it's purpose. There are many, many other great dining options in Bruges, is this one worth seeking out, I don't think so but it served us quite well as a stomach-warming rain escapee lunch venue.

• Visited April 2012