“Avoid at all costs, very rude staff and poor quality food!”
Review of Chagall

Chagall
Ranked #147 of 744 Restaurants in Bruges
Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed March 10, 2013

I have never added comments on here before but I was so incensed by our visit I felt compelled to do so. The waiter for want if a better word was rude from the outset and we should have left but did the English polite thing and stayed seated. We ordered a tagliatelle with prawns, pesto and cream and a set menu of beef and beer stew with a caramel flan to follow. When asked what drinks we'd like we decided against wine and asked for help choosing a beer, his attitude was he couldn't care less and that there were 130 how was he supposed to help? We just randomly picked without a word from him. The meal took ages to arrive which was surprising as the restaurant had been emptying out. The tagliatelle rather than just prawns, pesto and cream came with broccoli, mushrooms, carrots, French beans and mange tout and topped off with cold chopped tomatoes making the dish cold. Not great if you wanted simple food and are not a great lover of vegetables. The stew was ok albeit not terribly warm. The dial blow fr us was my daughters dessert, the caramel flan which was a creme caramel which my daughter cant eat. We explained at the end of the meal that perhaps the English translation would benefit from a change at which point he explained that it was correct for French cuisine and we were ignorant for not knowing so. He followed up with 'what did we expect for the money'!! He was beyond rude, he was arrogant and didn't care because tourists will keep coming. We noticed other tables were equally unimpressed by his attitude. €45 for two small beers and two simple dishes and an untouched dessert, not terribly expensive but certainly way to much to pay for being treated so rudely. Please don't go here, there are so many other cages, restaurants and bars that you'd be better off visiting.

1  Thank jellesque

Reviewed February 23, 2013 via mobile

We had an evening meal at Chagall during a short trip to Bruges. The food (mussels and spare ribs) was nice enough but not spectacular. I enjoyed it but with the high prices, that can be found everywhere in Bruges, was left feeling a little disappointed. The 'Belgian fries' were nothing special! Service was interesting...the waiter was quite arrogant. He came and told me I was eating the mussels 'like a tourist', then demonstrated how it should be done by eating one off of my plate!

Reviewed February 13, 2013

Chagall is a beautiful, simple family run restaurant. Everything about it was charming from the scrubbed wood tables, candlelight and roaring fire to the welcoming host. The food we had - Flemish Beef and Rabbit were beautifully cooked and generously portioned. The owner recommended Charles V beer to drink with them as this beer was in both dishes. This place is just my dream eating place, unpretentious and friendly with great food.

2  Thank Peter J
Reviewed February 12, 2013

We visited February 2013 after reading review in the lonely planet guide. Thoroughly enjoyed the restaurant and would definitely recommend. I had the steak with house sauce which was cooked beautifully, my boyfriend had the rabbit which he said was delicious!

The restaurant is small and intimate and the staff are very polite and welcoming - skilled in the art of hospitality!

Prices were quite high but as the food was so good, this wasn't a problem.

2  Thank BWMB
Reviewed February 10, 2013

I had taken my husband to the T.A recommended restaurants within our budget and we had walked miles trying to locate them. He found this and liked the look of it and so we went and were so happy that we did.
Excellent food, service and wine. There is a little wait for each course but that is a good thing as you can tell it is freshly prepared.
We both ate the fish soup and I had the rabbit and my husband had a steak. Both were beautifully cooked and we came away feeling very content. Would certainly go again

1  Thank Lauren456