“Traditional good pub with great food”
Review of L'Estaminet

L'Estaminet
Ranked #139 of 749 Restaurants in Bruges
Cuisines: Cafe
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: Kitchen open from 12:00 till 23:00
Reviewed February 23, 2013

We struggled to find good, reasonably priced food during our tour of Belgium. The best meal I had was at this place. It is a pub with a real locals feel to it - small and cosy - but seems popular with tourists too. I chose a pasta dish from the specials board and it was really tasty and a good sized portion. As you would expect from a Belgian bar, there is a good selection of beers at reasonable prices.

Reviewed February 4, 2013

This is the 4th or 5th time I have visited the L'Estaminet. I try others but most are more expensive / poor service / poor food. This is not the only place to eat at but you could do a lot worse. It has an easy going atmosphere and is very welcoming. If the menu or specials do not interest you they will make up a special order for you if they are able. I only say that because they have always been accommodating no matter what dietary requirements you have from my experience, but I am sure there will be an instance where they can't assist! The staff are friendly and helpful and speak 3-4 languages The selection od beer, wines and spirits are very acceptable. If there is not a table free by a beer, there soon will be. The food is well presented and tasty. Unlike other places you also receive a reasonable quantity on your plate.

Reviewed January 20, 2013

A cosy pub that we chanced across whilst looking for somewhere else, but turned out to be so good we went there twice. A friendly buzz about the place on the cold Friday night we first went, and seemed to be filled mostly with locals, and we still felt welcome. A decent selection of Belgian beers, together with steaming plates of freshly cooked pastas and other hearty grub from the kitchen. Four beers and dinner for two came to the right side of 40 euros. Otis Redding, the Rolling Stones, and other well-chosen oldies coming from the stereo.

1  Thank andymagoo81
Reviewed December 21, 2012

We returned to L'Estaminet for dinner after our first visit about eight years ago and it didn't seemed to have changed at all... which is a good thing, as we loved the place the first time round.

It's a very cosy and friendly pub, and if there isn't a table free when you walk in they make you feel very welcome to have drink at the small bar while waiting for one to become available - which never takes long. We ended up sharing a table with another Belgian couple, which was fine. It's only a small place, but has a very sociable feel.

The food options are extremely limited, but also very good. We both had lasagne - one fish and one meat - and both were excellent, not to mention very generous in portion size.

Service is very friendly and efficient. The waiting staff are very happy to take orders and bring food and drink to the tables.

All in all we had an excellent time and will definitely be back. I would highly recommend L'Estaminet for a relaxed and cosy evening in Bruges.

1  Thank ratbon
Reviewed December 16, 2012

We really loved this place. It's right next to Astrid Park in a really cozy space with a friendly atmosphere. I read both in the guidebook and in some reviews here that it is standard pub fare, but I didn't find that to be the case at all. In fact, this was our favorite overall experience in any restaurant in Bruges (even the ones that cost 4x more).

We had a Bruschetta appetizer and then ordered a salad with warm goat cheese and bacon (which I had a few bites of and loved) and also a special of pasta with duck and forest mushrooms. I wasn't expecting much but it was amazing. The pasta was well cooked, and the flavors were excellent. We stayed to continue exploring the excellent selection of beer, which is what makes this place really shine.

Finally, the service was fabulous. I am the #1 fan of the bartender/waitress we had. So friendly

2  Thank William_Walker24