“This place is the nuts”
Review of Staminee De Garre

Staminee De Garre
Ranked #7 of 45 Nightlife in Bruges
Reviewed July 23, 2013

I can't sing this bar's praises nearly enough.

One of the big things that I was looking forward to in Bruges was trying plenty of Belgian Beers. I stumbled on this place on our last day, and I was cursing the fact that I didn't find it earlier in our stay. There are 1132 different beers on sale in Bruges (so the local brewery can tell me) and this place has several hundred of them to try.

Not sure where to start? Not a problem, just speak to the bar staff. They were polite, courteous and most of all hugely knowledgeable on the topic of beer. I picked a random beer from the menu (having read that it was voted "Worlds Best Beer 2002") and asked "what's this one like?" The response was "ah, it's a very good blonde beer. Full of taste and quite creamy. It was announced as the worlds best beer in either 2001 or 2002 I think." With hundreds to choose from thats pretty good skills. The bar staff were even able to pick a beer for my girlfriend which she really enjoyed, and she doesn't even like beer usually.

They also serve every beer with a local cheese. I never realised that cheese and beer went together, but I'm definitely converted.

This place should be difficult to find (in fact I walked straight past it on my first day without even noticing it) but having read the reviews and directions on here we found it without any trouble. You're looking for a small alleyway with a red frame that's squeezed between a chocolate shop on one side and a hatch selling waffles on the other.

Happy drinking. Just remember that drinking a beer out there is like drinking half a bottle of wine. Don't go too wild too quickly.

1  Thank Justin W
in 34 reviews
"gouda"
in 9 reviews

Reviewed July 22, 2013

What more could one ask for in Belgium: perfectly balanced Tripel, several other options, and a cosy and off-the-main-road location. Others may bark about the three-Tripel limit, but rest assured that the limit is in your interest!

1  Thank David G
Reviewed June 30, 2013

We have visited this bar a few times before and liked it, although we often got the impression that tourists were "tolerated". However, this time, the staff were rude and ignorant. Maybe it was because we usually go out of season, but was the height of summer this time, I don't know. The bar itself certainly wasn't busy.

After our first order, we were completely ignored, so we went to leave and before we had even got downstairs, the owner was shouting at us "8 euros." We couldn't get out quick enough.

If you hate tourists so much, why do you have a bar in a tourist area?
And before people assume we are just ignorant, we go to Bruges specifically because we know a lot about the beer and enjoy it. But will never return to De Garre. There are several other lovely places where we were welcomed. Care Rose Red for instance. Much better.

Reviewed June 28, 2013

As we travelled on the train to Bruges from Brussels, a lady living in Ostend told us about a bar we must visit – down an alley near the centre – though she couldn’t remember its name. We found it and it’s a gem. Being a hidden gem probably makes it all the more talked about. You have to try the house beer, Tripel van De Garre. It’s served in a distinctive elegant balloon glass, but beware, it’s 11.5% - a beer to sip and savour. There’s a wonderful, friendly atmosphere – probably partly engendered by the beer and certainly fostered by the staff. Even if you aren’t fond of beer, this is still a place you must visit.

1  Thank BeejayBerkshire