“Best bar in Brugge”
Review of Staminee De Garre

Staminee De Garre
Ranked #5 of 43 Nightlife in Bruges
Reviewed February 13, 2013

Been here many times on visits to Brugge, absolutely superb, the De Garre brew is fantastic, most I have drunk is four and boy you know you have had them, the staff have always been freindly and helpful, it is only small and if there are no tables they will turn you away, but come back in half an hour and you will get a table, its worth the wait, a bit tucked away but not to hard to find, if you have the big tower on your right just carry on straight over the road towards the next squre and you will find the little allyway on your right, "don't tell everyone" or may not get in next time, can't rave about it enough, brilliant, many happy memories :)

There are newer reviews for Staminee De Garre

Reviewed February 11, 2013

Its a busy place and you will be lucky to get a seat. Its actually not that hard to find if you have a decent tour guide as I think its the only little lane way when walking from the main square to the Borg Square. They brew there own beer "Garre" which is a lovely beer but be careful as its a very strong beer!! Reasonable price of 4Euro and they give you free cheese with every drink.
Well worth the visit.

Reviewed January 29, 2013

You'll notice my unusual title however it will make sense. My partner and I recently visited Bruges and in the lead up to us going we researched the best places to go and of course this comes highly recommended, the reviews sounded great. So we arrive in Bruges and headed straight for this bar excited about seeing what the fuss was about we searched for 20mins or so for it however when we arrived we were greeted by a sign saying it was closed until early Feb and throughout the entirity of our trip. We were gutted, also the fact we checked the website and there were no warnings this may happen. This is the reason we have left 3 stars because I had to find a way of writing on here to further warn potential visitors that they may also be left disappointed (and couldn't give 5 because we've never been). Staminee De Garre is not alone in being closed therefore I believe some warning should be given that the end of Jan/Early Feb is some kind of 2/3 week national holiday in which many of the top rated attractions close

1  Thank Kat C
Reviewed January 25, 2013

Now i'm not going to preach about drinking..I've had my share..I adore Belgium and just because I no longer drink doesn't mean I can't go where there is beer..there must be folk who like me either don't drink or because they are driving are not in a position to have an alcoholic drink but would love to embrace the charm and atmosphere of a place..well come here order a coffee I think it was 4€..a tray comprising coffee in a cafetiere (get 3 cups out of it) a small grosch type bottle with milk in (like jersey milk) sugar cubes (I made mistake on my first cup of putting one lump in but the milk is so creamy its sweet enough) and a couple of wafer thin biscuity type snacks very pleasant..the waitress was charming..the staff are great..don't miss it..doesn't open til 1200hrs ps although the building is old (you are in Bruges!!) the toilet facilities are first class and not medieval

Reviewed January 25, 2013

It took us two days to find this! Mostly based on the maps from tripadvisor being incorrect. From Markt walk down Breidelstraat towards Burg, on the right towards the end of Breidelstraat is a small red framed alleyway hidden amongst the buildings, this is De Garre.

We were really glad to find it - the selection of beer was great (if a little overwhelming - it's worth visiting Bierbrasserie Cambrinius first as their (huge) menu gives you a good description of the beers and their alcohol percentage), I can recommend the St Bernardus Pater.

The service was a little brusque from the waitress - maybe a combination of language barrier, our lack of knowledge of Belgian bar etiquette and our being unable to choose a beer as soon as we sat down, but it didn't spoil the experience. However the table of American students loudly objected to the "house beer" being crap almost did (I have no idea if it is crap, a lot of locals seemed to be drinking it, but perhaps these guys had already had a few - the beer is very strong in Belgium). Personally I think if you have a menu of 40-50 beers in front of you there is no excuse for having a bad beer.

1  Thank LIZ W