“Excellent food in very nice location”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Improvisio

Improvisio
Ranked #124 of 410 Restaurants in Leuven
Cuisines: Belgian, French, European, Contemporary
Good for: Families with children, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Leuven, Belgium
“Excellent food in very nice location”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2012

When I heard that former chef of Glou Glou is now cooking in the Improvisio, I decided to take 5 colleagues (included my boss, and my bosses boss) there for dinner. This was an international party and people were very hungry arriving.

It was a quiet tuesday night and service was fast and friendly, also in English for my international colleagues.

Most of us ordered the scallops as a starter and they were really excellent: perfectly tender, accompanied by really tasty sauce and light puree. In the decoration I immediately recognized the hand of the chef who can turn 'brasserie' kitchen into little gems.

For the main, most of us had steak, served with handcut fries. All steaks had the perfect 'cuisson' as ordered and the sauces and hand cut fries were very tasty. One person ordered the risotto, apparently one of the chef's specialties, and was very impressed.

My colleagues were very enthusiast and so was I. This is an excellent restaurant in a very nice setting in Leuven.

• Visited March 2012
1 Thank raftote

Leuven, Belgium
“Good food, bit overpriced, and service is at a good level”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2012

The location is excellent. Normally the Brusselse straat is busy wit a lot of busses that come buy (so that means that it's also easy to get to the restaurant). But it's a secluded place in a very nice building and is nicely decorated. Ladies with high heels will have some difficulties to get to the restaurant due to the cobblestones in front of the restaurant (they would fit nicely in Paris-Roubaix).
I've seen there terrace in summertime when it was decorated for a party and that looked excellent. I hope they also do there normal service on the terrace in summertime.
The food: the menu seemed us very limited, and because there was no (excellent) todays special like before (that could be also due to the fact that we only arrived at 2o'clock) we chose steak from blanc-blue belge and a entrecôte also from blanc-blue belge. Very tasty, very well cooked and also the salad of Belgian andives was good. The fries were handmade as they should be. We chose a good spanish wine but all the wines where overpriced, 49€ for this wine is too much. If I remember correctly there where no wines under 30€ (I could be wrong but not that much). The lady that served us was very nice and concerned. Good points for her. Will we go back? certainly. Real good Bistro food is not always found in Leuven but here it is. They earn maybe a better score than average (good would be more appropriate).

• Visited March 2012
Brussels, Belgium
“Very nice restaurant, except overpriced and mediocre”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 28, 2011

The looks of this restaurant are great, in an ancient building nicely refreshed, and a very nice terrace, so that's for the building.
Now about the food, it's ok, but that's it, and then comes the bill, and that's the dissapointing thing of the evening, overpriced!

Visited August 2011
1 Thank peeweedegrote
Brussels, Belgium
“Well made food in a nice location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 24, 2011

Friendly staff welcomed us with a smile and took our coats before we went to our table. The interior is tastefull, but maybe a bit cold.

On the menu you could see they really change it when the season changes. This time you had quite some game dishes with seasonal vegetables. Which is always a good sign

I ordered a Risotto with squid as a starter. The Risotto was very well made, nice creamy in black squid ink and with pieces of baked squid on top of it. Nice way to start this dinner.

I continued with venison fillet, served with a mix of winter vegetables. Once again well grilled juicy meat with the right roasting. Just plain simple. My partner took halibut as main course and found it very tasty as well.

We didn't take dessert, but ended happily with a coffee and tea.

Good seasonal food with not too much blabla and friendly waiters.

• Visited November 2011
St. Augustine
“Could be great but left me cold”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2010

We made our way through the maze of people to Improvisio tucked away in a back street. Here we find a hip contemporary setting. We are served a La Trappe Trappist beer with a veal salad that was included in our hotel package. This is going to sound strange but it was a like a tuna salad plate only made with cooked chopped veal in place of tuna. It was strangely delicious and served cold. The waiters were somewhat arrogant or stand offish, I'm not sure why as we didn't go anything that be seen as off putting. After so many other great experiences in Leuven, I dont think I'll be back to Improvisio.

2 Thank Sherri in Florida