“The food is amazing but the service is a bit hit and miss”
Review of De Klimop

De Klimop
Ranked #96 of 415 Restaurants in Leuven
Cuisines: Belgian, European
Good for: Large groups, Business meetings, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Zele
“The food is amazing but the service is a bit hit and miss”
Reviewed September 14, 2012

The Klimop is probably my favourite restaurant in Leuven. Every meal I have had here has been excellent.

However, the service can be a bit hit and miss. On most occasions we've been there it has been excellent, but there have been some evenings where they were obviously understaffed and the level of service goes down dramatically.

I'm sure that this happens in the best of places and it is by no means a reason to avoid this restaurant as the food is really really good - really good.

• Visited August 2012
1 Thank TheKaro

Mechelen, Belgium
“Great for lunch”
Reviewed September 13, 2012

I've been here many times for lunch and I always liked it. The food is not always of the highest quality but it's good and the service friendly and correct... if you come here during lunch time. I've had bad experiences at dinner time, so I avoid it during the evening hours (lousy service, as if it were a totally different place). And it's near to the station

• Visited September 2012
1 Thank Tom V
Brussels, Belgium
“usually very good”
Reviewed September 4, 2012

We visit this restaurant regularly. Usually the food is very good. Great meat from Jos Theys. Good salads, fine fish.

Just the ceasar salad I had the last time was very bad (dry fried chicken and too much greasy sauce which made it impossible to eat). My husband's food was a lot greasier than usual as well. Did the chef have a day off ? As the service is usually very good I was surprised with the lack of intrest in the reason why my plate was hardly touched.

As we had many great meals before, I will try this restaurant again in the future.

• Visited June 2012
1 Thank milikab
New Zealand
“Unpretentious, casual and more than decent.”
Reviewed April 9, 2012

Our friends took us to this restaurant next to the Leuven train station and on arrival there was a misunderstanding about the reservations. No big deal, some tables were shuffled around and things were sorted, even with a full house this was not a biggie. It was the first indication of the casual nature of the place.

As some other reviewers have also stated, the waiting staff is not the most experienced in the world and we also had our share of lost drink orders and forgotten desserts, but I would easily forgive them as the food served was o great quality and at very reasonable prices.

Was it the friendliness or the homely setting? I personally like unpretentious approaches in gastronomy, certainly when nobody even tries to cover up for it and Klimop carries this anthem like an honorary title.

• Visited March 2012
1 Thank Rianbkk
glasgow
“The food is very good”
Reviewed February 17, 2012

We were staying in the hotel above this restaurant. We ate there because we had arrived late and we were tired. We were glad we did because the food wS delicious. They do sauces very well. We ate there again. Restaurant always busy and staff were charming. My only complaint was I asked for tap water & was charged but managed to make it clear on second visit that tap did not mean a pressurised water tap.