“order in”

Add it.
Basecamp
Cuisines: Nepali
Reviewed July 24, 2012

I've never eaten in the restaurant but I often order in from them. It's the only Indian restaurant in Leuven that I've tried and liked so far. Food is quite ok. Nan is chewy, though, which is disapointing. They deliver on time and the doses are big and there's always enough for another meal. The restaurant itself is at a very good location.

Reviewed May 2, 2012

Sadly, I have to withdraw my previous review of Basecamp.

Our first visit was so good, that I took the family there a few days later. What a disappointment. Guess they must have an A team and a B Team in the kitchen. And so much for my comments on freshly prepared food.

We had similar starters as our initial visit. This time the samosas looked commercially purchased and heated up. Vegitarische pokora was only adeqaute and far from memorable. The only passable item was a fried onion concoction (Onion Bhaji), it was very nice.

The worst part were the main courses. The lamb curry had previously cooked chunks of lamb heated (not cooked) in a curry sauce. The meat looked like it was cut from a severely overcooked roasted piece of meat. It was barely chewable and cool, swimming in a high temperature sauce. Seemed like they heated the sauce and then threw the chunks in the pan. It was bad. The lentels (Dal) were also disappointing. Came in some sort of strange cream sauce. Nan seemed to be made on site, like the first visit. They were nice also. Chicken Tikka Masala would have been good if the food temperature had been warmer. It was lukewarm and, like the lamb curry, the sauce was much warmer than the chunks of chicken.

All in all, very disappointing – especially in light of the wonderful meal we had a few days earlier. This was over the Easter holidays, so maybe the kitchen people were different. But a restaurant must be consistent, otherwise, why take a chance on getting the B Team?

Sadly, I would n not go back. There are other Indian places nearby (like the Namaste a block away). Try them, not Basecamp.

Reviewed April 1, 2012

I'm not a big fan of Indian food. I've studied and cooked Chinese and Southeast Asian food for a thousand years, but never developed a taste for Indian spices. My wife is English, so every once in a while, I have to tag along with her to an Indian haunt.

I found this place to be the exception. It's situated on a long quiet square one block away from busy Naamsestraat and a few more to the Leuven Grand Place. Seems rather large inside with ample room between tables and decorated in warm colours. In an older period piece building with beautiful wood floors.

Very good variety of items to choose. The normal stuff and then some. We shared an order of Samosa and Vegetable Pokora. Both were excellent. When the Somosa arrived it was evident that they made the food from scratch. No pre-packed items here. It was so good, it was hard to share. Then a chicken tikki masala that was very tasty. I would have taken a chance on something I didn't recognise, but this was my wife's favourite, so give them what they want. Nothing against the dish, but as it was the item that she always gets, so it seemed the most traditional to me. Nice big chicken chunks. Also we had a Nepalese mixed vegetable plate: curried cauliflower, a spinach chunky puree, lentils, yogurt, rice and Nan. Again, everything seemed prepared from scratch – especially the Nan, which was the best I've ever had. Other than the familiarity of the chicken tikka, there wasn't anything that I didn't like. It could be that the freshness and home-cooked application made the difference in taste.

On a student budget, it might be pricey, for an adult, no pain. 60 Euros for two starters, two mains, Nan, a Kingfisher, bottle of water and demi pichet of house rose.

Even as I'm not a fan of Indian cuisine, I am looking forward to returning. Nice place, nice people and good food.

Reviewed February 4, 2012

It has been a very nice surprise to discover this restaurant. The food is authentic and the prices are reasonable. If you go for lunch they also serve a cheap lunch. Try it and you will not be disappointed

Reviewed October 10, 2011

Really good indian food, and affordable prices. very friendly staff. The interior looks like you are in a more expensive place.
i recommend the vegetarian menu for 25 euro if you want to have a taste of the indian kitchen.