“Okay, but nothing special”
Review of 'a Zamara - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
'a Zamara
Cuisines: Italian
Reviewed July 3, 2012

It it hadn't been so late at night, I would have looked elsewhere. The seats were uncomfortable and the food was just okay. Overpriced for the quality.

2  Thank Congenuity

Reviewed January 18, 2012

Food was not great at all, I had lamb which was very much overcooked. I had a tiny portion, and my friends as well. It was rather expensive for what we good. The very friendly staff and cosy atmosphere are good points, but don't make up for the food. This could have been a much better experience if they pay closer attention to the food (they have all the right ingredients) and give a bit larger portions. What I hear from other visitors is that this placed used to be much better some time ago. Maybe I'll give it a second chance some time.

2  Thank bobvangeel
Reviewed June 9, 2011

The food as such is good and authentic. However, far too expensive for what it is. The interior of the restaurant looks shabby and like a Mexican cantina. Service is correct. The menu as publiced(wuth no price indications) on the internet is in reality reduced to a third! The house wine, both red and white are plonk

2  Thank Joponr
Reviewed January 12, 2011

I've been to 'A Zamara lots of times over the last couple of years and I still think it's one the best Italian restaurants in Leuven! The restaurant itself is very simply decorated but at the same time feels very cosy. Sergio, the owner of the restaurant, is a great host, he is from the south of Italy and makes you feel welcome each time you go there. The main thing of course is the food: fresh products are used for all dishes. As a starter, I can recommend the "Delizie", which is a selection of typical Italian appetizers, cheeses and meats. For your main course, you can choose between pasta or meat/fish. There are no pizzas. My favourite pasta is the "Orecchiette paesane", a typical dish from Serigo's region. There is a great choise of wines, of which I personally like the Lamoresca, a biologically cultivated wine from Sicily. On Friday and Saturdays, it is recommended to book a table in advance and sometimes there can be a bit of a wait, but despite of this, I think 'A Zamara is a really nice place to spend an evening with family & friends!

Reviewed May 13, 2009

If you're interested in being surprised by excellent Sicilian food, head over to the Zamara.

Great atmosphere too.

When I lived in Leuven, this was one of the restaurants I frequented most.