“Suitable”

Ranked #14 of 17 Hotels in Leuven
Goettingen, Germany
“Suitable”
Reviewed December 8, 2012

Stayed here for a meeting in Leuven, which was paid for by my company, so I cannot comment on value. The hotel was fine. Nothing fancy. Quite basic, but suitable for a place to lay my head at night. Staff was fine. Breakfast was ok... not great, but not horrible either.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Volos, Greece
Reviewed June 3, 2012

The room was so small that the bed barely fit in the space. There was no door in the toiliet and the closet was placed in the toilet. Too many ants everywhere.
There was no telephone in the room and this made my life difficult as am allergic and had not the chance to communicate at least with the reception. I have asked to wake me up to catch up the train but this service didnt appear.
No a/c.
The fotos they have on their website do not appear the reality.
The breakfast was average.
Anytime I needed the lift, it was full of detergents or dirty sheets/towels. So, most of the times I had to go to the 4th floor by stairs.
No worthy the value of money paid.

Room Tip: Ask to see the room before you book it.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business

Travelers are raving about these Leuven hotels

Doncaster, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 20, 2012

Ended up booking this place after the Etap was fully booked. The previous reviews were a bit scary, but in reality, the hotel was good.

It did look as if there had been a recent refurbishment, but that's not a bad thing, is it?

The staff were friendly and helpful, the room was clean and fine although the view wasn't the world's best. Still, I don't stay in city hotels to gaze out of the window.

There are a few plus points over the nearby Etap
- Free breakfast (which was very good - the espresso was great!)
- Charm
- Decent number of plug points
- No steps to climb up with a suitcase.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed May 13, 2012 via mobile

We stayed as a couple our first time in leuven. We parked our car at the back site of central station for free and walked to royale, which was easy to find. It logged like the hotel just had sort of make over. the receptionist was friendly and we liked or room. We slept at front site of hotel which was quite noisy with open window. So all for back site room if you need peace. Bathroom, bath, toilet. Was fine. Breakfast great, although the heater was on and hot.It was great value and we lived leuven.

• Stayed May 2012
England
Reviewed January 30, 2012

I was booked into hotel for two nights by a company I was working for so not sure what price they paid. The big plus point is it is very close to the railway station, but so is Etap Hotel so check prices if location is important.
It is a budget type of hotel, no amenities like a lounge or room service, but reception staff were friendly and the room was clean and the bed comfortable. Breakfast is included in the price and was fine, juice, cereal/fresh fruit salad, meat, cheese, hard boiled eggs, scrambled eggs, sausage and bacon with a selection of pastries.
The coffee shop/bar which is attached was pleasant with a good selection of locals using it, always a good sign.
It is about 10 minutes walk to the centre of the town which has a large student population so lots of bars and restaurants and even around 11.30pm it felt safe to walk around alone

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank LuckyduckBristol
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 14, 2012

I was recommended this hotel by word of mouth and I didn't check the reviews on online before I booked. When I did read the online reviews I was anxious. However, it turned out all right in the end. Obviously not the Royal Palace of Belgium, but considering the low price, I found it good value for money.

The location is very good being near to the train station and the main high street, which is obviously very beneficial when arriving and leaving.

The exterior of the hotel is surprisingly grand and it is situated in an attractive square. The grandness of the exterior does not continue indoors where a more minimalist look is employed.

Our double-room was small and basic but clean and the view over the square was very pleasant. There is a small TV with BBC News, CNN and other channels. There was no hair-dryer, kettle or fridge. We only really missed the hair-dryer (although we never got around to asking if they lent them from the main desk). The lighting is subtle and relaxing but the room would have benefited from a desk lamp for when reading or using a laptop. The room was warm with an under window radiator (we stayed in January).

Breakfast was included and offered a hot and cold buffet including scrambled eggs, bacon, mini-sausages, cheese, ham, bread, orange juice, fruit salad, yoghurt and cereal. There was a good selection of make-your-own hot drinks but the trendy coffee cups were too small for tea (this might only be a problem if you are British).

By hotel standards, the free in-room Wifi was very good indeed. I was given a real WEP password at check in. I had to enter the password only once and the Internet worked all week. I found it reliable and fast.

The hotel restaurant is fantastic. We found it hard to find toddler friendly restaurants in Leuven and so we ended up eating in the hotel most nights. Our toddler very much liked the friendly Romanian waiter who went out of his way to make the baby comfortable. The restaurant serves as the bar and lobby too, there is no separate downstairs accommodation. There was no English language menu but the Romanian guy spoke perfect English so it was not a big problem. Obviously I don't know if we just got lucky or if all their waiters are helpful.

The stairs have pretty marbled effect tiles and I expect most people use them as the only other people we saw in the lift were the cleaners. The lift was really the biggest flaw because it did not always want to stop on the right floor and basically had a mind of its own. (Although bizarrely every lift we used in Belgium seemed to be antiquated, ugly and/or broken in some way - in Britain we would call these goods lifts rather than lifts fit for customers - especially beware of the lifts in Brussels Midi station - very nasty). Apparently there was a way to avoid these problems by standing at the back of the lift but it did not work for us. The pretty tiles can echo somewhat if people move around outside your room.

The staff were helpful and accommodating and the best thing about the hotel. Check out was somewhat early at 11 rather than the standard noon. We could leave our bags in the hotel reception after checkout.

Good: Restaurant, breakfast, wifi, friendly staff, price
Bad: Lift, Lift, Lift

Room Tip: I have only stayed in one room but I liked the view over the square.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family