“way too expensive for the level of comfort”

Theater Hotel Leuven
Ranked #9 of 17 Hotels in Leuven
Chicago
“way too expensive for the level of comfort”
Reviewed September 16, 2012

This hotel is ridiculously overpriced. I paid US$206 per night to stay here. I would have given it three stars if it had been $100 per night. For $200, this is a terrible hotel. The rooms are small and beds even smaller. It is not air-conditioned. I have to leave the windows open and swat mosquitos constantly. Every morning, I wake up with my arms covered in mosquito bites.

For $200, the breakfast is mediocre. There are exactly three hot items: omelet with bacon bits, omelet with vegetables, vienna sausages (probably from a can). For such a limited selection, they should have at least varied what they serve but I stayed for seven nights and it was exactly the same menu everyday.

The location is good if your business is mainly in Leuven since it's right in the center of the town. But you are better off staying near the train station (where the bus station is also located) if you want better accessibility to Brussels and elsewhere.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
7 Thank Louis L

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Walford, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 28, 2012

I have stayed in Leuven numerous times and have tried lots of the hotels. I really loved this one! It is very centrally placed so everywhere is easy to get to. On my arrival I was greeted by an extremely pleasant chap who gave me all the info that I needed. Throughout the 3 nights that I stayed I met several of the reception staff and all were equally polite and accommodating. They lent me a plug adapter when mine didn't work and on my last morning when I had to leave before the official breakfast they gave me lots of fruit yoghurt and biscuits it he evening before and offered me a drink early in the morning. Breakfast was very nice and is served in an art gallery so one can look at sculptures and pictures whilst having a leisurely breakfast. The room was on two levels, it was very large and well equipped, the bed was comfy and all was very clean. The hotel offered free soft drinks from the room minibar due to the very hot weather and I appreciated that very much. There is excellent wifi in the hotel with a very strong signal in my room.
I parked my car in nearby ladeuseplein and the hotel offer a discounted rate which was a bonus.
All in all excellent. I will be back later in the year.

Room Tip: My room was on two levels, it was great for me and very Belgian, however if one had mobility problem...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed August 24, 2012 via mobile

Thanks we come every year when its marktrock and next year we come back. Very friendly staff. Good breafast. Mozerella mmmm. Different sort of eggs. Art in the hotel is nice. Cute hotel. Thanks for the free refreshments in the minibar by the way

• Stayed August 2012
Tel Aviv, Israel
Reviewed August 23, 2012

A great hotel!! The staff have such a great service!! Always friendly, always with a smile and most helpfull!! The hotel is clean, nicely furnished, the location is perfect! 5 Min from the train station, main street, lots of great shopping and coffee shops! No doubt, ill visit again and most definatly recommend to all!! Stop looking.. you have found the perfect hotel in Leuven!

• Stayed June 2012
Luxembourg
Reviewed August 20, 2012

We only stayed one night here but could have easily stayed more. A hundred metres or so away from the amazing Town Hall and right on the street with all the shops, this hotel is ideally located in Leuven. Ambience going up to the reception and the reception itself is nothing to write home about but this is more than made up for by the excellent service provided. I have hardly ever encountered more kindness and willingness to be helpful. Room decently sized - it was very hot but we had a fan and even free soft drinks from the minibar to make up for the excessive heat. That was appreciated. Breakfast room really nice with the food itself being enough for us. Have no problem recommending this hotel which comes reasonably priced as well.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Iowa
Reviewed July 21, 2012

We stayed in Leuven one night and we couldn't have chosen a better location. The hotel is in the main shopping area and just 2 blocks from the beautiful town hall. We had the 2 level family suite and it was perfect for us and our 15 year-old daughter. Although it was unseasonably hot, they provided fans which helped a lot. The breakfast was amazing! The city is a great place to explore and the front desk was very helpful in planning our expolration. A great choice!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Traveler1958Iowa
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed July 7, 2012

Great location almost in the town centre and in easy walking distance to the train station for a day trip to Brussels (a 20 minute journey), or the Leuven Beguinages (well worth a visit). The staff on the front desk, at breakfast and in the Cafe Leffe are excellent and really helpful. Stairs up to reception is a little unusual, the breakfast room is elegant with a fine variety of food choice. Rooms appear to be good sized but somewhat worn and unfortunately we had a room with a bathroom which had an unpleasant toilet smell. Issues: the rooms at the front can be noisy in student term time and those at the back are quiet. However, if the outside temperature exceeds 25C those at the back are very hot and sleeping is uncomfortable. There is no air conditioning and the fan provided was noisy and inefficient. Mosquitos are also room visitors, so take some spray or roll-on. We were a little unlucky but I can imagine there are also many very enjoyable stays and once again the staff were superb.

Room Tip: I would definitely ask to see the room before accepting it, or make concerns known early if on a 2 o...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family