“Hands down the best restaurant in town”
Review of Faculty Club

Faculty Club
Ranked #33 of 429 Restaurants in Leuven
Cuisines: Belgian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed November 22, 2012

This restaurant is mostly frequented by academic staff of the university. It is open for lunch and dinner from Monday through Friday. The catering is done by (the team of) Lieven Demeestere, the chef of 'Arenberg', a 1 Michelin star restaurant in Heverlee (suburb of Leuven). In weekends, the restaurant is clsed as Faculty Club works with another caterer for private parties (e.g. we had our wedding here) then.

The restaurant is situated in the beguinage and the decor and atmosphere of the restaurant are very stylish and chic.

The staff is extremely friendly and very knowledgeable about the menu and the daily suggestions.

You can choose between a set menu of 3 (€50) or 4 (€60) courses or à la carte dining. The à la carte entrées are all priced at €16,60, the main courses at €23,60 and the desserts at €10,90, which I think is extremely reasonable given the excellent quality of the food and the outstanding presentation. They have a limited, but nice selection of wine and champagne.

When we last visited, we were a party of four (my parents, my husband and myself) and chose to order à la carte. My father and I decided on an excellent potato with hand peeled shrimp and my mother and husband ordered the vitello tonnato, which was beautifully presented. While my father and husband chose the Berkshire pork, my mother and I went with the deer filet. Both dishes were accompanied with an excellent sauce. For dessert my father had a citrus meringue, while the rest of us had a chocolate dream. We ordered four glasses of champagne as an apériftif, a bottle of white wine (Pouilly Fumé), and a bottle of red wine, two bottles of water and four coffees (with which you get abundant sweets). Our bill totaled around €360, which I paid with a smile after the lovely dining experience. This restaurant should easily win the 'Best Value for money' award of all Leuven restaurants.

Whenever I feel like fine dining in my hometown, I will be heading to this restaurant.

Reviewed October 31, 2012

I had dinner here a couple of times and I was amazed each time. The food is great, the staff is friendly and the restaurant is stylish.

Reviewed October 2, 2012

Yes, the style of this restaurant is haute cuisine. While some people may consider that snobby, I look at it as the way to dine, as opposed to eat. The ambiance and service were excellent. The food was generally very good. Some combinations of flavor elements in certain dishes begged for alternatives, such as the cabbage shavings with the entrecote de boeuf. Also, that piece of meat proved to be very tough to chew, which may be emblematic of most beef in Europe. But I have had some decent specimens at top European restaurants. The dessert with the prix-fixe dinner was not so impressive. They served a really good brut Champagne by the glass for just 10 Euros a pop. However, their wine list was limited. Overall, a very nice experience.

Reviewed September 5, 2012

We had two meals in the Faculty Club during our two-day meeting and had the set menu. Portions are relatively small but the food is remarkably fresh, tasty and refined. The chef is obviously trying to distinguish himself by pleasing the eye as well as the palate and he succeeds quite well. The dining room at the Faculty club are beautiful and the surroundings very calm and relaxing. I would definitely recommend it

1  Thank LisaK_511
Reviewed May 26, 2012

I have a feeling that the Belgians eclipse the French in their cuisine, and do so without anyone noticing. Apart from the courses disclosed on the menu, be prepared for an imaginative amuse bouche and petit fours with coffee. Uncompromising and traditional excellence in food, ambience and service define this unusual university/open to the public Michelin recognized establishment. The setting is both extremely historic and spectacular, and the service traditional and exceptional. To confuse very high standards with snobbishness is to miss the point: in this restaurant, you get the best or very close to it. If you are uncomfortable with this concept, then please don your shell suit and head for KFC or McD of which there are several perfectly serviceable examples in Leuven. But if you are willing to take it at face value, enjoy the superb fruits on offer...and please, please don't complain that the standards are too high...!

1  Thank unclepious