“Nice Restaurant” 4 of 5 bubbles

Il Folletto
Ranked #38 of 839 Restaurants in Ghent
Cuisines: Italian, European
Good for: Families with children, Dining on a budget, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Hampshire
“Nice Restaurant”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2013

Whilst it is only pizza and pasta, the food was really good. The staff were friendly and worked hard in a busy restaurant. Make a reservation at weekends, we got turned away on our 2nd night as it was fully booked.

Visited March 2013

• Polish first
London, United Kingdom
“Well worth a visit!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2013

Having read reviews I made a special visit here and it was well worth it! Lovely food, huge portions. Struggled with the menu until they gave us an english version!!

• Visited February 2013
Ghent, Belgium
“My reservation was overruled”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2013

We arrived at exactly 7pm, the time I had made a reservation. The waiter however told us that other people were seated at our table and we had to wait by the counter in the back until they were finished. He apologised but that didn't really make up for it. We had to wait around 45 minutes until our reserved table freed up. During that time we were not even asked if we wanted something to drink; I had to order drinks myself. They even charged us for those. The overworked waiters were constantly buzzing about and were hard to get a hold of. One of them stepped on my foot and didn't even take the time to say sorry.

Finally we were seated at our proper table. Took another 15 minutes for them to bring us bread. There were, however, no plates, and no olive oil. And we had to make do with cheap paper towels. Paper towels.... seriously?

My starter of choice was a toast with tomato and mozzarella (bruschetta). It was completely soaked in olive oil, to the point where it became more sponge than bread. It was also almost cold. As an ironic touch, the olive oil meant for the bread was placed on our table shortly after serving the oily toast. My wife had a carpacchio that was equally soaked in oil.

The main course, an entrecote with mushrooms, is the only reason I am giving this place 2 stars instead of 1. It was delicious and fresh, and momentarily made me forget about the horrible beginning of the night. The red housewine was good. We were also given a small liquor on the house as compensation for our waiting time. Price was 123 euros for 4 people, so quite affordable. However, this can't make up for their earlier transgressions.

• Visited January 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank Vincent V
Wezembeek-Oppem, Belgium
“Make a reservation”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 14, 2012

This place is so popular that even on a cold winter's day at 6pm when they opened for the evening meal, they were already fully booked for the evening. I found they were very accommodating. If I was finished by 7:30 I could get one of the reserved tables. So I skipped the starter and went for the steak, filet pur, very tender, well prepared, sliced in 2 cm strips, with a tasty brown sauce. So an early bird can still eat without a reservation - but for a good dining experience - a reservation is recommended.

• Visited December 2012
Ghent
“Excellent”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

The best Italian restaurant I visited in Ghent so far, and I have visited the place at least 3 times. Everything tastes fresh, nicely seasoned and overall delicious.

• Visited September 2012