“best falafels ever, nice beer list”
Review of Komkommertijd

Komkommertijd
Ranked #123 of 894 Restaurants in Ghent
Cuisines: Central European
Dining options: Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed December 20, 2013

Well, that may not mean much, especially since I haven't found a lot of places that sell falafel. But I have an official degree in cooking and I often like to make falafel, and when it comes down to simple food, usually I prefer my own creations over a restaurants. But these falafels, man, mine don't even come close... About the buffet: maybe some things were not perfect, the pumpkin/sweet potato dish was too blunt for me, the cold fried mushrooms had too much garlic in them. But there were plenty of other options that were really good! I loved the Mexican potatoes, the bean curry, ... and I was surprised to see it was not only vegetarian, but also vegan. I find it very difficult to create vegan food, usually I cheat with eggs and / or cheese. :p And did I mention the beer list? Probably one of the only places in Gent that carried a beer which I hadn't tasted before. And after 1850 Belgian brews, that's impressive. We'll definitely come back!

1  Thank tderoeck
There are newer reviews for Komkommertijd

Reviewed December 10, 2013

We had a late reservation ( 9pm ) and didnt get the chance to taste the dessert ( there was no more left ) but the rest was really good, typical vegetarian food but for a good price and it's buffet style..

Reviewed November 17, 2013 via mobile

It is always so nice to find a vegan restaurant so that there is no question what is in the food. This restaurant is quaint and the staff are nice. It is buffet style and man, it is good! The price is great at 16 Euro with all you can eat.

Reviewed May 15, 2013

Komkommertijd offers an all you can eat vegan buffet for only 16 eur. You can also choice for take away at only 5 (small box) or 7.5 eur (large box). Food varies every day but you have a wide range of warm and hot dishes.

It can be quite crowdly in weekend and it is better to make reservations if you are planning to sit and eat then.

For me it is definetely one of the best value for money choices in Ghent and i would recommend it to everyone one who wants good vegan food !

Reviewed March 7, 2013

It is not always evident for vegetarians/veganists to find a decent restaurant to their likings. This ons is especially for you ! It's a self-service where you can eat as much as you want for a fixed fee (around 15 EUR). Beers and wine are also of biological origin. There is choice from at least 6 to 8 dishes but the offer may vary during the lunch time. It is not a Michelin star quality but the food is very tasty (pure taste of the vegetables and accompanying spices). The cook has his (or her ?) way with combining the vegetables and spices with sometimes delicious and surprising results.
While I'm not a vegetarian, I do like the "komkommertijd" (dutch for cubumber-time - an expression used when their is no news and newspaper don't know what to write about) and if you are a vegetarian you should definitely pay them a visit !
Don't be frightened by the scores I gave. They are in line with what I expect from a restaurant in general. If I would limit the comparison to the subset of vegetarian restaurants, I would add one point on each scale.