“Very good food, but service can be much better.” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Allegro Moderato

Allegro Moderato
Ranked #10 of 839 Restaurants in Ghent
Cuisines: French, Belgian, European, Central European
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Families with children, Scenic view
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Ghent, Belgium
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Very good food, but service can be much better.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2013

I took a client to this restaurant a couple of days ago. I was looking for a good price quality restaurant, not too fancy and this was what I was looking for. After reading some reviews I called to reserve a table. i took mackerel as a starter, but I expected a lot more taste. My guests were having carpaccio and they liked it very much. What I was served then, was extra-ordinary, the best lamb I have ever had!! The tonguefish was also from high quality, as told by my guests. The one thing that bothered me was the unorganised service, the staff was friendly, but we had 4 waiters and because of the non existing organisation, a lot was forgotten. Hope they can keep up the food and work on the service!

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank JDE485

• Polish first
Ghent, Belgium
“Is this the #1 restaurant of Ghent?”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2013

We came here recently with a group of colleagues, eating the advertised market menu. So not another menu for a group, just what was on line and the same options as the other people visiting.

First of all, let me once more stress that I am not the biggest fan of posh attitude and fancy restaurants, I often see it as a necessary evil in order to get high quality cuisine. But when you are profiling yourself as a fancy restaurant, and you make people pay the price, then I expect everything to be perfect. When it is not, I just feel being ripped off.

When I entered, my coat was taken away. Check for fancy restaurant. I was a bit later than my colleagues, who were already having an aperitif. Immediately I was served a cava (and not the best one, if I may add), while they asked: do you want an aperitif, sir? Well, yes. But not a cava. But it's kind of hard to refuse when you have already poured it in, and are pushing it in my face, now is it?

From that point on, service didn't really improve much. When asked for a new basket of bread, we didn't get any new butter. I ordered a beer, and had to order it again because the first waiter had completely forgotten about it. We were pretty much ignored whenever they came cleaning the tables, so it was pretty hard to order about just anything.

And then the food. Now, I am not a vegetarian, but I took the veggie option, because I love (white) asparagus, which were on the menu. I also love them "à la Flamande", which is pretty much the most classic way you can prepare them in Belgium. However, going to such a fancy restaurant, you would expect them to come up with a bit more of a modern twist, no? A bit of a disappointment. And hey, here's a news flash: 3 tiny potatoes and six asparagus, even if they are thick ones, do not make a main course. I had already eaten bread with tapenade as appetizer, I had eaten quite some bread with the goat cheese salad (also not the most original veggie starter to come up with), and I was still hungry. This feeling was also shared by other people at our table, and also by people who took the regular, non-veggie menu, so it wasn't just me.

And then the dessert. If you put "sabayon (zabaione) and strawberries" on your menu, then we expect sabayon. If you then give half of the people a plate with (just a few!) strawberries, a small scoop of vanilla ice and sabayon, and you give the other half the exact same plate, but without the sabayon, what are you thinking then? Hey, maybe they won't notice?

Also, it will not surprise you that the people who did get some sabayon, only got a very tiny bit of it. Last time I checked, sabayon as a dessert is a pretty big portion. Not a small decoration on the plate.

Summarised: I was very happy that our boss was paying the bill, because if I would have had to pay myself, I would have felt pretty ripped off. Bad service, too small portions, and just underachieving in general. I will most definitely never come back, nor recommend this restaurant to anyone.

And yes, I've eaten in worse places, but then the prices were accordingly to the food and service, so I didn't mind. But if you profile yourself as a high class restaurant, then you should deliver as a high class restaurant.

Two thumbs down!

PS: they did however have a pretty decent beer list. Without that, my rating would have been 2/5 instead of 3/5.

• Visited May 2013
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank tderoeck
“Beautiful restaurant with very good food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2013

The restaurant itself was beautiful. The service was very good. The carpaccio and salad with apples and goat cheese were excellent. The scallop pasta was a bit bland. Highly recommend for a romantic and quiet evening.

Visited May 2013
“Not living up to the expectations!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2013

The place in itself is very nice- great setting by the river, nice cosy surroundings etc.
But the rest is just not worth the hype nor the money.
Service is at its best mediocre- no one to serve the wine or to explain the prolongued waiting time. You're pretty much left on your own once you order.
The food is by no means worth the price that is asked for. If you decide to go for only a main course - you will definitely leave hungry.
Its probably best to go for the 'menu de degustation' or for starter-main- desert.
On the plus side- they have a great selection of wine!!

• Visited April 2013
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Luxembourg City, Luxembourg
“Nice dining experience!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2013

We picked the restaurant on the basis of its 1/391 ranking on Tripadvisor... and I have to say we weren't disappointed! We called on a Friday to book a table for the Saturday, and surprisingly we could still get a table.
When we arrived, we informed the waiter we wanted to go to the movies afterwards, and as a consequence he recommended us the 4 course instead of the 10 euro more expensive 5 course menu. Very honest and customer-minded! He even offered the flexibility of alternating the starters so we could taste all courses. While we were finishing the main dish, the waiter returned to ask what we wanted for dessert 'as time was running out for our movie plans'... very nice. A bit later another waiter passed and wished us a nice continuation of the evening. All in all a very nice welcome and very pleasant evening. Food was not better than expected for this kind of place and would not deserve more than a 'very good' rating. Overall, we do want to give the 'excellent' score just because we had such a nice, relaxed evening and because we would recommend it to friends (our go back ourselves).
We paid 160 euro for two 4-courses menus (49 pp) + wines (27 pp) + coffee.

• Visited April 2013