“BEWARE on checkout hotel charges in dollars (not euros) without asking”

Ghent Marriott Hotel
Ranked #4 of 38 Hotels in Ghent
Reviewed December 8, 2009

Had a nice stay at the hotel for the same reasons many have elaborated on here. Disappointed that they do not have a Concierge Lounge for MR elite members but as Platinum they did upgrade me to Junior Suite (basically just a little larger room but had good light and a view of the castle) and a free drink and snack each night. Still would have preferred a lounge to relax.

On checkout I was presented with a bill and asked to confirm that the charges were correct. I did and signed it. Upon reconciling my Visa bill the conversion didn't look correct and upon closer look at the bottom of the invoice I see in fine print that they are charging me a 2.5% conversion fee because I requested to be charged in US dollars instead of euros. I was never given the option to be charged in dollars and if I had I would have declined it. There is NO reason anyone would want to pay in dollars. Every US credit card company charges their overseas conversion fee if the charge originates out of the USA (in fact my Schwab Visa charges no conversion fee for overseas charges). Doesn't matter if the charge is in dollars or local currency. I have contacted Marriott Corporate Platinum desk for them to get this reversed by the hotel. Just beware and check your bill carefully before signing as they may not verbally ask which you wish, they just do the conversion to dollars before they print the bill on their own.

By the way, if anyone is not aware the Schwab Visa gives 2% rebate on charges and has NO conversion fee for overseas transaction or for overseas ATMS.

Also internet very expensive here. 19.90e per day. If you need internet get a daypass from boingo for $19.95 US dollars. Save 30% at current exchange.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled solo

Reviewed December 1, 2009

Excellent, fast, accomodating check in and out. Very helpful and informative staff. Very central location, good room rates if booked early enough. We have stayed in many hotels in Europe on weekends away and this is the standard to set the level by. Also the most comfortable enormous beds we have stayed in including big hoetsl in Vegas! I have written to hotel in appreciation also. We would thoroughtly recommend.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 19, 2009

Whilst the vehicle approach to the rear causes some apprehension, giving the impression of location on a back street, on entry it is Immediately impressive. The reception is located at the edge of a stylish triangular atrium some 6 storeys high skirted by white linear balconies accessing the bedrooms on two sides and a huge curved glass wall on the third side. The atrium is an extremely pleasant informal seating area, used for drinks and coffees. The entrance to the town centre is on the far side of the atrium and appears just as a narrow passage. The hotel's high calibre restaurant is pased en route to the exit ... and voila! a huge panorama of Ghent suddenly appears as you step out of the door. From this side the hotel "disappears" and simply becomes part of the (very) historic fabric on the waterside. Signage is very discreet on this side but it is pedestrianised... you just need to remember from which door you came out.
The setting is just perfect, right beside the set off point for boat trips, both sides of the canal (actually a river we are told) are largely from the 17th century and very typical of ancient Belgian structures. The oldest building in Ghent stands immediately opposite.
The immediate area abounds with small atmospheric restaurants bistros and bars, slightly dearer than the Belgian average, but worth it.
At the time of my visit a rebuilding of the tram system in the city centre was causing some visual disruption to the main squares around the three city centre spires. This should be complete in 6 months at most, also aiding journeying to the railway station or outer areas, which temporarily need a bit more of a walk to reach the nearest tram stop to them.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 17, 2009

We stayed for a night in this fantastic hotel. Very comfortable rooms and great location on the Graselei. It also has a car park and great if expensive restaurants. We were travelling with young kids (9 and 5) and got adjoining rooms. Sadly no discount! The rooms overlooking the canal must be great but none of them are adjoining - though our rooms were very nice anyway. Recommended.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed October 16, 2009

Great location, great service, friendly staff, beautiful architecture! Only negative is that it is kind of difficult to get in and out of Gent by car.

Stayed: October 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed October 16, 2009

We stayed at this hotel one night in July as a part of our journey back home from France to Norway.

We had a large superior room with two baby cots (we was travelling with two small children), and found the room to be more than adequate for our need. It was quite roomy. Since we arrived late at the hotel we where not able to have dinner in the restaurant (which I understand to be very good), but we had dinner in our room instead (room service), and it was quite good. When we arrived at the hotel it was Ghent-fest in town, which we didn’t know anything about. Regrettably we where not able to enjoy that, due to two small children needing their sleep, and some incredibly hard rain outside. But the location of the hotel cannot be better for any hotel anywhere, right in the middle of everything. Despite that the hotel was quiet.

The first thing you notice when arriving is the architecture, which combines the old buildings with the new. The atrium is magnificent.

The breakfast is at normal Marriott standard, but could be better. I do not remember the rate we got for the room, but I do remember that we found it to be acceptable due to the quality of the room etc.

To sum this up, this was an excellent hotel for all purposes in Ghent.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed October 15, 2009

omg: this is one of the most fabulous festivals ever! Ten days of music, magic, and street performances with 100's of 1000's of your nearest and dearest Belgian friends (well, a few other Europeans and a smattering of Americans, too). I visited last year for one day (just to sample) and returned in 2009 for five days of incredible good times. I stayed at the Marriott: right on the main canal, near the main stage, and walking distance to some delicious restaurants which featured world-class cuisine. (The hotel staff was wonderful: they offered a "quiet room" because they assumed that an "old guy" like me -- 60? old? no way! -- would not enjoy the party atmosphere right outside. I insisted on a canal side room: great views! But I never returned to my room before 3 am anyway, so ...)
The people are friendly, the restaurants are gracious, the beer and rum (lots of rum in Belgium -- who knew?) was flowing, the music was eclectic, infectious, and Alive! Everything from Afro-Haitian to Big Band to Acid Jazz to Salsa -- and more. The entire city centre closes down for pedestrian traffic only, every street corner and plaza becomes another music venue.
I will return!