“Superb hotel, great gym, perfect location”

Ghent Marriott Hotel
Ranked #4 of 39 Hotels in Ghent
Reviewed January 5, 2009

I'll be short as there's nothing to criticise about this hotel.

Location is absolutely perfect, on the most beautiful section of the city, a 4-minute walk from Saint-Nicolas, Saint-Michael church and Saint-Baaf cathedral.

The hotel is brand new, with stunning public areas crowded with a pleasant mix of romantic couples, cultivated tourists and young children. Food is beautiful, be that tapas at night or healthy breakfast in the morning. Rooms are cosy, well-tended and elegantly furnished.

Service is impeccable with quick check-in, efficient check-out, generous advice and friendly demeanor. And gym is well-equiped, small but fresh and pristine.

A suberb hotel, for a superb city, one of Belgium's best-kept secrets.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled solo
2  Thank NikoPseudo
Write a ReviewReviews (2,050)

Reviewed December 2, 2008

Truly enjoyed our stay at the Marriott (especially with the great rate that Expedia was able to give us). Taxi ride from the train station ran about 10 Euros so my recommendation would be to use the tram that runs throughout the city. My husband and I came to Ghent for a Cyclocross Race in Gavere. The hotel helped arrange a car for us to get to/from the race. We were thoroughly pleased with their help. When we came back from the race, our rooms were available and we were pleasantly surprised at the nice furnishings in the room. Hotel is very modern inside but they kept the old facade on the outside overlooking the canal. Rooms were nicely appointed with a very comfortable bed. Our room overlooked the street but it was very quiet. My husband and I walked around the city at night and ate at a local restaurant so I can't comment on the hotel restaurant.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed November 22, 2008

The hotel was perfect. It was spotlessly clean and everything you could need was provided in the rooms. The hotel is very open plan and I was worried as my room was above the lobby area, but I couldn't hear a thing and I am a very light sleeper. The bed was very very comfortable and the room as cool as you wanted it with air condtioning.
Location wise, this hotel couldn't be better situated as you can walk to everywhere you would want to go to. The staff were friendly, helpful and attentive at all times. We did go to eat in the Korenlei Twee as previously recommended here, which is just on the bridge near the hotel. It was wonderful food and is well recommended. It is a bit epensive but well worth paying for, but you do need to book a table. I would definately return to the Marriott and would recommend it to my friends.
Loved the design Museum and also the castle, and just wandering the streets of Ghent drinking in the atmosphere, and a little of the beer.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 11, 2008

I paid the substantial premium for a canal view room, which the receptionist confirmed on arrival. When we got to the room, it was small, and with no view. The error was soon corrected, but should not have happened.

The housekeeping was very poor. On my last night, the room had not been serviced by 6pm, in spite of 2 calls to Reception. On 2 other days, returning to the room about 4pm, it had not been serviced. I would have expected much better from a 4* Marriott hotel. My partner was told something about staff shortages due to illness, but I don't know how true this is.

I'd agree with most other comments about the Ghent Marriott.

Stayed: November 2008
Reviewed October 5, 2008

I took the tram #1 from the station for 1.20 EUR to the "Korenmarkt" and could walk from there to the hotel in less than 5 min. Lots of restaurants are close by.

My room was clean and quiet; new furniture. Staff was helpful and friendly.

For 24h internet access they charge about 20 EUR.

Check-in and -out were smooth.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed September 22, 2008

We booked about 4 weeks in advance for one night costing 118 euros, including breakfast. We booked a 'double double' room - two king sized beds as we had our 3 year old.
Took a while to find the hotel/car park (no sat nav!) however reception was swift & helpful. The room was perfectly sized, the bathroom very large and everything immaculate. There was only 1 mug and limited tea/coffee but that was changed swiftly, along with my request for fresh milk which was left in the fridge while we were out for dinner. No view to speak of, but that never bothered us. Floor to ceiling windows made the room very light. Beds were very comfy .
The hotel is perfectly placed for exploring Ghent. We had an excellent breakfast but didn't eat any other meal there.
In the evening we sat having cocktails in the lounge area whilst our son played with his cars on the sofas and this was not a problem to be able to relax with a young family. The staff were very attentative at all times.
We would def go back, an excellent hotel and base.

• Stayed: August 2008
1  Thank ClonPete
Reviewed August 28, 2008

A perfect hotel in a perfect spot
My wife and I stayed for two nights. Got the number 1 tram from the railway station to the centre of Ghent. Two minute walk to the hotel through the historic streets.
Met at the door by the concierge and checked in by the very friendly receptionist. The concierge and receptionist provided us with suggestions for walks and places to see.
The hotel is in central Ghent and is modern but extremely well designed. Giant sized extremely comfortable beds. Enjoyed drinks in the atrium in the evening . The temperature was in the mid 30s outside but cool temperature in the bedroom supplied by a silent air conditioning.
Excellent 5* fittings with excellent and very friendly staff. Everything a good hotel should be.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple