“Great location”

Ranked #4 of 37 Hotels in Ghent
Prescott, Arizona
“Great location”
Reviewed February 14, 2014

Beautiful location on the canal. At Christmas with the trees twinkling on the opposite side it was like a winter wonderland. Disappointed in the breakfast options at the hotel. Seemed to take a lot of effort to get an extra cup of coffee. The only other negative was the exercise facility in an area that felt spooky at night. Didn't want to be in there without a friend.
Staff were lovely and happy hour in the atrium was a special moment every evening.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (304)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
London
Reviewed February 10, 2014

Was here before and did not hesitate at all when I had to return to Ghent. The Reylof is absolutely fabulous and best hotel in town with its wonderful buildings, stunning setting and eclectic design.
Tried dinner at Lof restaurant and service has even further improved since my last stay.
Will definitely ho back.

Room Tip: Ask for the rooms with balcony with inner courtyard view
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Inverness, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 2, 2014

The best thing about this hotel is its location. It is located right on the canal. Our room did not have a canal view, but I understand those are available (book well in advance during holidays and busy season because they seem to go quick). We could walk to St. Bavos Cathedral and the clock tower in about 10 minutes at a leisurely place. There are also plenty of restaurants nearby.

The service here was also good. The receptionist who greeted us was friendly and efficient, and she gave us some information about the area, along with a map. She also took the time to tell us about a few of the more popular things to see in the town. Our requested extra bed was brought directly to our room, so we did not have to call down for it. We ordered room service twice, and it came within 30 minutes both times. Breakfast attendants were good and quick to refill coffee.

Our rate did not include breakfast, but we bought it every day. You can choose between the cold buffet, the full buffet, or a small plated continental breakfast. The full buffet is pricy, but there was plenty of food available for that price (eggs, sausage, mushrooms, basically almost everything you would get in a full English). I think we actually saved money because we skipped lunch every day due to being full from breakfast.

The room was a good size. There was still room to maneuver, even with the extra bed. The bathroom was very spacious as well. Housekeeping also did a good job.

The only issue we had was that the GPS wanted to make us drive through a pedestrian zone to get to the hotel. This is certainly not the hotel's fault, but one should be wary and pay attention to where the pedestrian zones are because some of the signs are not easy to see and the hotel is almost surrounded by these zones. Parking is also limited and very tight, but this is to be expected in a European city center hotel.

We would definitely stay again.

Room Tip: Book early if you want a canal view room.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank kamieberry
Los Altos, CA
Reviewed January 27, 2014

I recently completed a one-night stay at the Marriott Ghent, and was thrilled with my experience. The location is incredibly picturesque and convenient, with historic buildings lining the canal adjacent to the hotel. The hotel itself is very contemporary with a soaring glass-topped atrium and glass elevators, but the original facade has been retained along the canal so as to maintain the look and character of the neighborhood.

My room (which appeared to be a fairly standard room) was clean, attractive, of good size, and very comfortable with excellent working room. Internet service, when using the provided passcode (as opposed to clicking on the "free internet" button, was reasonably fast and consistent. I only had breakfast in the hotel; it was a buffet, reasonably well-stocked, though not extraordinary. Breakfast was provided free due to my Marriott Gold status. My only disappointment with the hotel was that while the fitness room had a good selection of cardio equipment, there was no strength equipment other than a rack of hand weights ranging up to 20lbs.

Given the Marriott Ghent's terrific location, atmosphere, and reasonable price, I would absolutely make this a home base for a tourist visit to Ghent.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank BillShepp
Queensland, Australia
Reviewed January 25, 2014 via mobile

The staff were lovely and accommodating for my not speaking a word of Dutch/Flemish! Check in and out was painless and quick.

Room service was good, one meal took 1hr+ to get to me as they forgot to put the order through but that meal was made complementary and they were very apologetic.

Staff were readily able to give directions and recommend places etc. It was close to everything I wanted to see - Belfry, St Nick's, Gravensteen and the Main Street, and public transport.

Room itself was clean and enough space for me (same as if I'd have taken a companion) and had everything a 4ish star hotel in Europe is know for - quite luxurious. Food was good and the restaurant looked nice but I didn't eat there..

Would stay there again in a heart beat and will not hesitate to recommend the Marriott in Ghent to anyone!

Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
Ghent, Belgium
Reviewed January 24, 2014

The service and breakfast was good to excellent, as you would expect from a hotel in this price range. The room however was just above your average hotel room: not that much better than 3*-quality and quite noisy. It is probably the best hotel in Ghent that belongs to a chain, but there are better and more charming independant hotels in town. None of them will have a view as good as the Marriot 'though!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Ghent Marriott H, Front Office Manager at Ghent Marriott Hotel, responded to this review, January 28, 2014
Dear mr. Ward,

Thank you very much for your time to fill out your experience in our Ghent Marriott hotel.

It is nice to read you enjoyed the beautiful view as well as our service at front office and breakfast.

Please do not hesitate to contact the hotel when you have made new reservation, than we can allocate you a nice and quiet room.

Kindest regards,

Valerie Vanderstraeten
Front Office Manager
Manchester, Connecticut
Reviewed January 24, 2014

I originally planned to stay in Brussels, but a lack of availability in my preferred hotels forced me to stay in Ghent at the Marriott. I am very happy that I stayed here. I had read some good reviews, but now I have experienced the hotel for myself.

Driving to the hotel is a bit of a challenge if you are not familiar with Ghent. Make sure that you use a GPS or smartphone with a GPS feature. The hotel is right in the heart of Ghent near many restaurants, museums, cathedrals, and other places of interest. The hotel sits next to a canal. The setting is postcard material.

When I checked into the hotel, the staff was incredibly professional, and they maintained this professionalism throughout my stay. The high speed internet actually has a nice speed. The hotel restaurant offers a nice menu, and the breakfast is good. The hotel also has a fitness room. I was given a large room overlooking the canal. I can't say enough about the neighborhood around the hotel. It is incredibly nice. My room included a robe and slippers. When it came time to leave, I was sorry to leave. It was a great experience.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business