“Good for a short stay, excellent location”
Review of Flandria Hotel

Flandria Hotel
Ranked #28 of 38 Hotels in Ghent
Reviewed April 5, 2012

I've spent in the hotel one night. Staff was very friendly and attentive. I had a very huge luggage with me, so I was offered to stay on the first floor in order not to bring it upstairs, because it was really heavy. Contrary to the reviewer "Raffey 1981", I was informed about the price and additional payments in detail. The location of the hotel is really good, because it just behind the St. Bavo Cathedral. Breakfast was very simple (no fruits, no English style breakfast), but quite nice. Room and linen were clean. There was a free internet in the hotel.
I didn't like the odd smell in my room and the lack of space. My room was so small that I hardly could place my luggage in it.
So, the hotel has it's own advantages and disatvantages, but if you stay in Ghent for a short time and do not want to spent a lot of money, it can be a really good choice!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank Lina L

Reviewed March 19, 2012

Spent one night in this hotel on the business trip. We arrived quite late in the evening and had to leave early in the morning. Staff was friendy and offered us to make the check out the same evening. Took some time for the to clear out with the booking documents and invoice. Also an early (6.00 AM) breakfast was offered, which was very nice. The rooms are clean and well looked after, bathroom clean, would enjoy a better water presssure in the shower). We took a chance to walk shortly around and were surprised with the views of the channel and old bridges and buildings just 200m away from the hotel. There was a wi-fi in the room, with free access code, even though it is normally paid. In general very good!

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank megstu_keliauti
Reviewed February 1, 2012

The facilities are fine. The attitude of reception manager is not.
At checkout I questioned the price given, as the email confirmation provided me with another total and did not mention any additional charges, not even "taxes not included" statement. There is a city tax in Gent and the hotel fails to include it in the price.

When I asked for the document of the booking, the receptionist said I should have my own, that she will not present anything and that I SHOULD TRUST HER. She continued by telling me to get out of the premises and that SHE WILL CHARGE MY CREDIT CARD WITHOUT MY CONSENT. The card was blocked by my bank, I called them about it and it turns out somebody was trying to make an unauthorized transaction (coincidence?).
When she couldn't charge me, the receptionist called the police, at least that is what she said. I visited the police station on my way to the ATM. They said I have the right to look into invoice/booking documents and that the reception is obliged to provide me with such. I communicated the actions of the reception manager to the authorities and hope that something will be done.

I paid cash, money is not the point, the attitude of "hospitality providers" is.

Room Tip: Book another hotel.
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled with friends
6  Thank RJM_Krawczyk
Reviewed January 5, 2012

The Hotel Flandria is perfect for someone on a budget, who wants to stay in a central location (just 5 minutes walk to the center of town, ten minutes to the river), but who also wants a clean room with fresh sheets, an attached bathroom, and a great breakfast. It was everything I could ask for. The front desk was very helpful, and even left me a note in my room advising they found me a second room to stay in when I wanted to stay longer (they were sold out). And the best thing about this place - the price! I always stay in budget hotels and was shocked to pay so little in American dollars for such a centrally located hotel. Finally, I read some negative reviews about the common areas not being in the best condition. Well, to me that did not matter at all because my rooms were in perfect condition (see photos). So, if you want central, clean and cheap, then forget the negative reviews and stay at the Hotel Flandria.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank sharioconnell
Reviewed September 20, 2011

We went to Ghent to meet a very nice couple who had our daughter's camera - it's a long story-
and decided to make a mini romantic break of it: just the two of us, Myles and me. We crossed early morning with the lorries, and it was a short drive from Dunkirk to Ghent.
The Flandria is in two narrow Flemish style houses in a small side street near the central squares, To reach our room we had to ascend a steep, narrow and winding staircase to a little room in the loft, with a Velux window looking out on to a cathedral! During the night there was a phenomenal storm, and we were entertained by repeated flashes of lightning over the cathedral.
There was a small but adequate shower and toilet built into a corner, and the bed was comfortable enough. There was very little room to move around, but as a base for a one night stay it was fine. Staff were friendly and welcoming. Breakfast was a mediocre buffet, but there was plenty of food available. All in all, good value, basic accommodation near the centre of Ghent, with parking nearby and pleasant staff.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank riricroc
Reviewed September 13, 2011

I spent one night at hotel Flandria in Mid-September. The room was a bit old and infested with mosquitos. The receptionist was kind enough to offer a plug-in insect killer upon request. Breakfast was decent, however the slice bread was molded.
The positive side of the hotel is the location: quiet street and yet very central.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 30, 2011

I went to Gent for 2 days to do some sightseeing with family. I searched on the internet for the cheapest hotel in the centre. That was clearly Flandria hotel.

Based on the mixed reviews I expected an all right hotel, but only fine for it's price. The hotel actually turned out to be 100% perfect though. I honestly can not name a single downside. We were nicely welcomed. Could check in even though we arrived quite early. Rooms were fine, nice beds, good bathroom, windows that can be opened. Very silent and also charming hotel. It has something cosy, it's very own character, nothing like such a modern hotel that you can find anywhere in the world. So you do have to like that.

I had read some bad things about breakfast. So when we arrived in the morning in the, pleasant, breakfast area and I saw that the basket with the more luxury sandwiches was almost empty I expected that it would not be replenished. But just a moment later a new basked arrived with the most lovely sandwiches imaginable, right from the oven. There was also a fine choice in good quality spreads, cheese, ham, etc.
No exaggeration: amazingly tasty breakfast!

The hotel is just a 2 minute walk from the St. Baafs cathedral and the Belfort. So it's basicly in the centre of Gent.

In short: this hotel is not only absolutely perfect for it's low price. It can also firmly hold it's ground in comparison to much more expensive hotels.
You're going to visit Gent? I would say: book a room in Flandria Hotel, no matter what your budget is!

• Stayed: March 2011