All reviews the main hotel nice hotel the air conditioning reception staff per day excellent location short break old town comfy bed the heart of the city public parking nice room quiet street breakfast was excellent central location coffee machine beautiful city
Selected filters
Reviewed May 31, 2019

The hotel is in a central location. The room I stayed at was very big.
However, the walls isolation needs big improvement. The old wooden floors in the adjacent rooms make very loud squeaky noise and it feels as if somebody is walking in your room. For a hotel of 4 stars this was very disappointing experience.
I will not stay again in this hotel.
I could not sleep because of this noice.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel
HoteldeFlandre, Public Relations Manager at Hotel de Flandre, responded to this reviewResponded June 5, 2019

Dear,

I wanted to pass on my sincere thanks for taking the time and trouble to inform us about your stay in Hotel de Flandre.

I was sorry to learn that you experienced some disturbance from the outside. As information, certainly not as justification, being right in middle of a touristic city as Ghent, it may cause night noise beyond our control. You may always contact our night receptionist for noise control but because he is the sole staff in the hotel at night, he is often away from the reception to do other work.

Again, I would like to express my sincerest apologies that you did not fully enjoy your holiday in our hotel. Guests comments are of paramount importance for us.

Reviewed May 27, 2019

Hotel de Flandre is located in the heart of Ghent, easy walking distance to all the major cultural and dining destinations. The hotel itself is lovely - well appointed rooms, clean, quiet, and very comfortable. I would not hesitate to stay there again.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel
HoteldeFlandre, Public Relations Manager at Hotel de Flandre, responded to this reviewResponded June 1, 2019

Dear,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us at the Hotel de Flandre and for taking the time to post your review on Tripadvisor.

We hope that you will continue to make many more enjoyable visits to the Hotel de Flandre.

Reviewed May 24, 2019 via mobile

Well, just to mitigate expectation from poeple that will book this hotel, this is far from a 4 stars hotel. It is 3 maximum and not a great one.

I was in the main building. Room in general was ok but not matching 4 stars hotel, especially cleaning.

Main problem was the bathroom. Cleaning a bathroom is not just removing dust etc on the very accessible area. And yes, if you keep doing that over days, months and years? Then some area start to become very dirty and well... inacceptable in a 4 stars and I would say everywhere (see picture).

I asked the front desk manager for a cleaning of the bathroom mentioning that it was in my opinion below 4 stars standard. As expected, nothing changed. They again cleaned where they think that it is good enough...

Cheery on the cake. Over 5 nights, 3 mornings with no hot water as well as Wednesday evening. So had to shower with cold water and water pressure was even low, so great time... Answer of the manager: “we have issue with the water heating system and in 30 min-1h might be fine.” BUT this issue keep going over the week and sorry we cannot plan our business agenda/day based on putative hot water restart in the morning.

Breakfast is average. Terrible coffee... but this would have been fine without all other problems mentioned.

This general feeling (not 4 stars standard) was the same for all my colleagues that had a room in this hotel so there is certainly an issue with the current standard (also mentioned in some previous tripadvisor reviews).

Positive: Staff was friendly and location is very good.

Will come back in Ghent but certainly not in this hotel and would not recommend to anyone a stay here as there are for sure much better location for similar price if nothing change in this hotel.

3  Thank alexandre48

Dear Alexandre,

I am very sorry to learn that you felt that your room appeared unclean. I take a personal interest in ensuring that our Housekeeping Team maintains the highest standards. Our staff is trained to make sure the rooms are spic and span. Afterwards the executive housekeeper checks if the rooms are spotless and welcoming for the guests. We will verify who was working that day, and make sure to avoid such remarks in the future.

I would also like to apologise for the fact that there was no warm water in your room . Unfortunately this was caused due to a loss in pressure in the kettle. Although we immediately called someone to have a look at it, it took some time to be fixed so we are sorry we could not resolve the problem during your stay. I am aware that the lack of warm water was very unpleasant for you that is why I would like to ask you to contact us directly using “info@hoteldeflandre.be” . This way we can maybe arrange some sort of compensation for you.

Reviewed May 12, 2019

Not recommended. The standard room booked was very small, in the corner of a courtyard, dark and miserable. We asked to be moved, and were given a room in an annexe, so called executive class, which was larger, but had a bathroom separated by a partition wall with no ceiling. Next we were offered an upgrade to a larger room at the front. It was an improvement, but not good quality. The street aspect had a music school opposite which had students practicing their instruments until 9pm, then at 6am, the shop fitters started hammering & drilling. Skipped breakfast, at 16 euros per head for cold continental fare, rip-off. This hotel should be 2 star, how it can be 4 star beggars belief. Saving grace- staff were friendly and very helpful, 4 stars to them.

Room tip: Find another Hotel
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
1  Thank Den B
HoteldeFlandre, Public Relations Manager at Hotel de Flandre, responded to this reviewResponded May 16, 2019

Dear Den B,

I was most interested to read your valuable feedback, but was sorry to learn that your room was not as expected. Because we are an old, authentic hotel, all of our hotel rooms are of different sizes and have different interiors. We try to put pictures of every room type on our website but because every room is different, it is not possible to put pictures of every room on our website. I am sorry to hear the room you stayed in was not to your expectations. I am pleased though that our staff was able to change your room a couple of times until you were satisfied.

I am also sorry to learn that you experienced some disturbance from the street outside your room. As information, certainly not as justification, being right in middle of a touristic city as Ghent, it may cause night noise beyond our control.

Again I am really sorry to hear you did not fully enjoy your stay here at our hotel. We hope to see you again in the future though to show you we can offer a great stay in Ghent.

Reviewed May 9, 2019

Very kind and professional staff. Hotel is right in the city center, clean and quiet. From the window you can see the church bell tower. Also a very tasty breakfast. It is easy to reach the hotel by tram from the train station.

Room tip: Comfortable bed. Possibility of making coffee.
Trip type: Traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
HoteldeFlandre, Public Relations Manager at Hotel de Flandre, responded to this reviewResponded May 11, 2019

Dear Eveak,

I was delighted to learn that you enjoyed your stay in our hotel and was most interested to read your valuable feedback.

Guests’ comments are of paramount importance to us, both in terms of measuring our standard of service and in our on-going endeavour to give our guests the best possible Hotel de Flandre Experience.

We very much look forward to welcoming you to Hotel de Flandre again.