“Great Location, Good Facilities”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel de Flandre

Hotel de Flandre
Ranked #22 of 37 Hotels in Ghent
Toronto, Canada
“Great Location, Good Facilities”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2013

The location, near the Design Museum and across the canal from the the Graslei could hardly be topped. The rooms are smallish, but clean and comfortable. Blessedly, they are air conditioned (temps were hitting 30 Celsius every day). The staff were helpful to newcomers, tolerating our French long enough to be polite, then switching to flawless English. You can store luggage when arriving or leaving. Breakfast was very ample by our standards, including scrambled eggs and bacon, cheeses and cold cuts, various breads, yogurts, cereals and fresh fruit -- but it was not -- as another comment notes -- the full English stomach-busting, cholesterol-laden experience some Brits consider normal first thing in the morning. It can get busy, but service was prompt and cheerful. The Spar grocery store across the street is a real plus for picking up snacks and supplies.

Room Tip: If your room faces the street, be sure to close the windows. Deliveries to local businesses take pla...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
  • Greek first
Derry, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 10, 2013

Stayed 3 nights band b at start of September in room 444 described as a loft with 2 attic style windows.Staff pleasant and informative at reception,room fine with some drawbacks e.g. shower in bath unattached to wall,messy - safe on wardrobe shelf unattached to anything,unsafe.Room was clean with good bedding,tea and coffee facilities and good t.v..Cold food at breakfast was good,hot food was greasy and unpalatable.Service at breakfast was friendly but rather inefficient,no obvious management input.Construction was continuing in hotel around the central courtyard area which seemed to have already been developed with brutalist naked steel stairs and walkways out of sync with the rest of a fine old building.Overall we were quite happy but then came the HOLE.On the morning of departure we were awakened at 8.30 by workmen banging who were on ascaffold which had appeared outside our windows .We closed the blinds and went to breakfast.On return to room we had to climb up 4 stairs as work had apparently caused the lift to break down.However we partially packed with window blinds closed and went out to shop On return at 11.00we again climbed stairs and were met outside room by amaid who seemed upset and warned us that there was a HOLE in our room.As I entered the room two workmen walked out past meand to my shock I was confronted by another worker staring at me through a large window sized hole in the exterior room wall.I said some angry things in English and French as we removed our valuables from the insecure safe,shoved our clothes into cases and got downstairs as quickly as possible.When I asked to speak to the manager Iwas told she was on holiday-therefore no one in charge -therefore shambles. Obviously this place is not being managed with sufficient care for paying customers,to put it mildly.

Room Tip: Make sure the room does not have a hole caused by building work
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
HoteldeFlandre, Front Office Manager at Hotel de Flandre, responded to this review, September 19, 2013
Guest comments are of paramount importance to us, both in terms of measuring our standard of service and in our on-going endeavour to give our guests the best possible experience at Hotel de Flandre.

To keep up our standard as a four-star hotel, renovations are necessary on a regular basis.

However, I would like to apogolize for the inconvenience you have experienced during your stay. One of our workmen was working on the roof that morning when something accidentally went wrong. I do agree that this is not the normal course of events in a four-star hotel but they did react immediately and fixed the hole in the ceiling of the room that same day.

Again, I would like to express my sincere apologies for any inconvenience this may have caused during your stay.

Travelers are raving about these Ghent hotels

T
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2013

An expensive wool jacket "dissipated" from my room at the hotel..
After long talks and correspondence with the hotel I found that not only that the hotel could not guarantee the safety of the property of their gusts, but also the guests are to be insulted should anything happen to their belonging. And the worse of all the guests who put their trust with the hotel can not expect a proper compensation should anything is lost at the hotel since the hotel does not feel responsible!!!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
At Hotel de Flandre we take a personal interest in ensuring that our entire team maintains the highest standards to give our guests the best possible experience.

From the moment you informed our reception team about the missing jacket, we immediately took the necessary steps to investigate this issue. Our housekeeping supervisor thoroughly checked your room and talked to the entire housekeeping team but unfortunately thejacket was not found.

Our housekeeping team is trained to never take things out of the stayover rooms. They only remove items from the room if a guest has already checked out and when the guest forgot an item in the room.

As Front Office Manager of the hotel I also investigated your issue into detail. I regret that your jacket is still missing, and I do want to apologize for any inconvenience. We even contacted our insurance company but since there is no direct proof that the jacket was stolen from your room, we cannot be held responsible.
Romford Essex
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2013

The best thing about this hotel is definitely the location.
Breakfast is also very good (Continental of course so no full english) and the staff work hard and are pleasant. There are 2 rooms for breakfast and the second is only opened during busy times so it can be a bit busy with just the one room open.
We stayed in a ground floor courtyard room which was surprisingly quiet. The room looked like it had not long been refurbished and was reasonably clean. However a number of niggly things that could easily be rectified if someone took the time. There was no handle on our window so we had to ask reception to help everytime we wanted to open or close the window. They were quite happy to do so but it is an inconvenience. the shower was nice but there was no shelf to put gel or soap on and no rails at all for towels. (they just ended up on the floor!) The rickety freestanding wardrobe doors didn't close very well, there was 2 shelves missing which as there were no drawers in the room was quite a nuisance and the safe was not bolted to the wall or fixed in anyway. We asked the reception why the safe is not fitted they said it would be OK as the crime rate in Ghent is low. Still not very good though. As other reviewers have pointed out there was no tea/coffee facilities in the room, we were told they only supply them in superior rooms. I get the impression they don't have enough to go round!
The last straw for us was when we arrived home I noticed they had charged €10 on my credit card. I e-mailed them to ask what it was for and they replied "Belgian city tax and the travel agent we booked through hadn't included it in our price". No one explained this at check in or when we checked out. We waited when we checked out for 3 or 4 minutes while the receptionist clumsily checked our account and he said nothing to pay all ok. Very suspicious.

Room Tip: check your bill before you leave.
2 Thank holidayfan55
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2013

We couldn't believe our luck when we saw this 4 star hotel was £80 a night with breakfast and free wifi. The location is great just by a canal with lots of bars, the room was very big and the bed was a proper double as opposed to 2 singles pushed together and comfy too. Free wifi in the room was a bonus and having breakfast included was a bonus. Normally breakfast is priced at £17 a person which isn't worth it, its just pastries, ham, chesse, breads and scrambled eggs etc so if its not included in your deal I wouldn't pay extra for it. The guy at reception also needs training in customer service and couldn't really be bothered to answer questions etc. The bar was completely dead both nights we were there, but for the price, the hotel was a bargain.

• Stayed August 2013
Maidenhead, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2013

I booked this hotel through the Eurostar website as part of a train + hotel deal for a 3 night get away for my boyfriends birthday.
We arrived on Monday at about 1pm and had to wait 10 min for a receptionist to appear. We left our luggage and returned about 3.30 to check in. We were informed that we would not get breakfast as we had a 'discount rate' but if we did want breakfast, it would be €16 each. The lack of breakfast was not made clear at the time if booking and I thought the hotel included our breakfast, I wouldn't have booked it otherwise. I also thought €16 per person was very expensive, the Marriott, also a 4* hotel a few doors down charged €9 for breakfast - a much better deal.
Our room was in good condition and clean with towels and shampoo provided however there was no tea and coffee facilities in the room. Again, booking a 4* hotel, I assumed that this would be a standard, hotels charging £15 a room in the uk provide this! But again when questioned, the receptionist told me because it was a discount rate, no tea and coffee was provided.
Our air conditioning was not particularly cold and although we asked for someone to look at it, they simply removed the dial on the control board, having no effect on the temperature! We also found that the plug sockets near the bedside tables did not work. I also had to ask for some ice to try and sooth some mosquito bites (after being eaten alive after having the window open one night to try and cool down) but was also told that the ice machine was broken.
I cannot fault this hotels location perfect for being in the centre of the city however, next time, I will spend a few pounds extra to get the basics I feel should be standard in a 4* hotel. There is a useful spar supermarket across the road for bits and pieces as the mini bar was extortionate (€2 for 4 Oreo cookies!). Staff did not seem that bothered to help - I get the impression that because we got the hotel Ian package deal, we were not treated as other guests might be. So overall, not what I expected of a 4* hotel in facilities but ok if you just want somewhere to crash with the basics and an easy walk to the main attractions but as I said, spend a few more pounds and go to a real 4* hotel!!

Exeter, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2013

We liked the location of this hotel, which was only a four minute stroll from the canal and its main attractions, there was also a Spar shop opposite. We chose this hotel partly because it was rated as 4 star, the entrance was charmingly converted from the original 18th century coaching access and the breakfast room converted from the stables. Our room was in the main body of the hotel, contemporary in style, clean but with a few stains on carpets and curtains, with a large firm bed, . The pillows were the square continental style and very plump - too high for me, flatter ones were provided, at my request, the next morning by housekeeping who also brought a tray with tea/coffee etc and a kettle; for although the hotel information guide claimed that this was available in the room, the receptionist said it only applied to superior rooms. Based on our experience, I would rate this as a 3 star hotel.
Breakfast provided a good choice of food but it was a good idea to get down early as the breakfast room got very busy, the staffing level was not really enough for the number of guests, so food ran low and tables were slow to be relaid meaning competition for seats was hot!
The staff were friendly and helpful. We had a good deal on this break and, despite a few drawbacks, would return in the future.