“Great hotel near mid-town with cooking facilities”

Aparthotel Castelnou
Ranked #5 of 37 Hotels in Ghent
Reviewed August 31, 2011

Castelnou is situated close to mid-town in Gent with easy connectivity to Danport train & bus station as well as nearer to Zuid from where you can get buses as well as tram for city travel.

Its a good hotel with nice interiors in its new rooms with big LCD TVs and kitchen facility for those who want to cook for longer stays in Gent. I was in Gent for business trip and found that perhaps this was the only hotel that offered cooking facilities with utensils provided. The complimentary breakfast is sufficient, though lacks variety. Do note that this is kind of apartment hotel and so there is no room service except weekly cleaning services but the bigger rooms have separate seating and sleeping rooms which gives homely feeling.

I did not find it value for the money it charges but its worth when you consider connectivity it offers when traveling for business or vacation. The staff was however not much friendly at the office.

Overall, a good place to stay near city centre with nice facilities.

Room Tip: Go for the bigger rooms with separate bedroom as rate is same for single room...and choose roadside...
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business
There are newer reviews for Aparthotel Castelnou

Reviewed August 29, 2011

Even it's called as Apart-hotel, it's the same as a high quality hotel + kitchen in the room.

Location: not totally in the city centre, but about 15mins walk, in a quiet residential area.

Rooms: very tidy and modern. Kitchen facilities, TV and bath included.

Parking: Sundays for free in front of the hotel (otherwise 6€ the day).

Breakfast: simple and very nice, full english + continental (natural ham and cheese, just-made bakery, fruit, juice, etc)

Price: probably not the cheapest one, but very high quality offered at a reasonable price. Pets for fre!!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank sarakurdo
Reviewed August 26, 2011

Had a reservation for this property and while in France our schedule got shifted and had to cancel this booking. Did so through a popular booking website as the original booking was made through them. The page of confirmation displayed for a moment and then I received what in afterthought was probably an error message. I did not see any indication that the cancellation was not successful or the attempt failed, but it was not the usual screen one sees when using this website. Was checking out of our current hotel and in a rush, so did not get the chance to confirm cancellation. Anyway, a few days later upon inquiry, the hotel (an associate via email) accused me of being irresponsilble, shifty, and manipulative even though I already agreed with the website that my cancellation probably didn't register due to the internet issue I experienced and I should've confirmed it was cancelled at my next opportunity. I had agreed it was fair to pay our missed booking. But the hotel associate was cross, negative, and very petty in his words and treatment. A horrible example of how they see and treat their guests.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed July 30, 2011

We stayed for a long weekend last December and I like to make my own food as I am a fussy vegan so looked out for somewhere where there was a kitchenette.

When we arrived by car, the receptionist was really helpful and came out to assist us when I couldn't work out the parking token machine-it was broken but I would never have worked that out, not speaking the lingo!

She was great and everybody else we spoke to during our stay was equally helpful and friendly.

The rooms were spacious if a little down at heel-they need updating-leather sofas and non-descript furnishings are not really my thing but I think I read that they are now updating-if so, it will be a really good place to stay.

It's not that near the town centre but a pleasant walk away along by a canal-not too far.

The restaurant and breakfast area is very welcoming and there is a big choice of buffet style breakfasts-even an awkward vegan like me found something to eat, including soya milk-I was impressed by that!

Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Kitty7London
Reviewed July 22, 2011

Stayed here for 3 days last week and were very impressed. Modern, clean and the staff were just amazing. Everybody spoke perfect english and knew where all the best locations for restaurants etc were. Only a 10 minute stroll into the town centre too.

Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 26, 2011

We visit Ghent every Easter, and for the past three years have stayed at the Castelnou. We find its location, cleanliness and value for money hard to beat - easy enough to walk into the city centre without having to live with the noise and the crowds.

It's about 20 minutes slow walk into the centre, following the canal, and with lots to see en route. Alternatively, a tram bus runs from a nearby stop.

We stayed on the fourth floor, with views over the garden and terrace to the rear, in a large apartment with sitting room/kitchenette, separate bedroom and bathroom with bath and shower attachment. We agree that the bathroom needs revamping, but understand that the hotel is carrying out a modernisation project on all its rooms. The two single beds were comfortable, and cleanliness is a real virtue in this hotel.

There are two leather sofas in the sitting room, comfortable enough to fall asleep on, and the TV has sufficient channels in English to keep us happy.

Downstairs is 'The Dali' restaurant, where the food is excellent, both for breakfast and lunch, but especially so for dinner. Try the Stovrai beef dish - generous helpings and as many repeats as you would like. I had the Waterzooi - chicken in a broth, which was delicious.

The staff are welcoming, but there is a slight blip in that reception closes mid to late afternoon - difficult to claw back any valuables left in the safe!

Overall, however, we would very much recommend the Castelnou, and consider it our greatest find over 38 years of travel to the same city.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank Farseer
Reviewed March 16, 2011

We stayed only one night in winter. Our apartment was at the back of the complex with a large picture window overlooking a pond and trees- a nice view to come home to. The rooms were quite spacious, quiet, clean and warm. The comfortable lounge room included a desk. It was good to be able to cook a simple meal in the kitchenette, and there was a supermarket within walking distance. We walked into the old city along a canal which was a nice walk. However on arrival from Brussels we got a taxi from Sint Pieters station (this cost about 10 euros I think). The restaurant was very nicely decorated and we had a nice breakfast there. The reception staff were friendly and helpful. We would liked to have been able to stay longer in the apartment and Ghent.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple