“Ideal place to stay”
Review of Ghent River Hotel

Ghent River Hotel
Ranked #10 of 39 Hotels in Ghent
Reviewed May 27, 2013

The location of the hotel is perfect. You need 5 min. walk to reach the city center.the rooms are very clean and nice. You can enjoy the canal and the beautiful scenery from your window.the breakfast hall is on the top and it has a very nice view of the city. The staff is very helpful and friendly.especially the Turkish ones. I want to thank Esra(the receptionist) and her family for their hospitality.i felt as if i were at home.

• Stayed: May 2013
Write a ReviewReviews (1,054)

Reviewed May 27, 2013

As group leader I stayed in this hotel several times with my groups participating in various programs in Belgium and the Netherlands. The location is excellent, in the heart of the city, walking distance of most major sights. My guests also like this hotel very much for its location, ambiance and historic values. My only criticism concerns a problem with group bookings, i.e. with bigger groups some guests are allocated executive rooms instead of standard rooms because of the shortage of this latter category. Standard rooms do not have tea/coffee making facilities while executive rooms do. This conflict was wonderfully resolved by the young lady at the front desk. She offered for my group that those in standard rooms could get a free hot drink every day at the bar. I thought she handled the problem perfectly. On the other hand, such conflicts could be avoided in the future if standard rooms were also equipped with tea/coffee making facilities: this is a 4-star category hotel after all. Just like with front desk staff, I have always experienced very good cooperation with other hotel staff, which made my job so much easier. Everybody was helpful and polite and my biggest thanks go to the restaurant staff, Seref & Katie, who go out of their way to please customers. And one more thing, as we were a group we had a few dinners in the hotel, my thanks also go to the caterer for his excellent quality meals. Thank you, Ghent River Hotel, I look forward to staying with you again.

Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed May 22, 2013

I booked this hotel through an AA package deal to celebrate my birthday. I asked for a 'special' room as it was my birthday but I guess that note was ignored as the room was just an average one, down a long dark corridor.

Pros: clean rooms, friendly service, excellent breakfast in a lovely room, great location on the river, 'Turkish' shower, free WiFi
Cons: noisy rooms (we could hear the conversation from next door and people walking above), the 'Turkish' part of the shower didn't work nor did the extraction fan, fiddly WiFi (you had to get a pass every 24 hours at the front desk), poor mattresses, generally the rooms needing updating

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 15, 2013

My husband and I booked this hotel for a 3 day trip to Ghent to visit our daughter who is living over their just now. The hotel is in a great location, the entrance to the hotel is beautiful but making you way to your room is the first pointer that this hotel does not warrant 4 stars! The corridors are dark and could be doing with brightening up a bit. Our room overlooked the canal, we looked right over to building that was being renovated but looking down both sides of the canal was lovely. We had no kettle in the room, when I asked for one they came with it straight away. The room itself was a bit tired too, again for the money it could be better. On arrival we asked about breakfast, it was 20 euros per person per night, save your money and head to one of the many cafe's in the local vacinity.

The room was clean, could do with a drawer or two for small items to be stored, we ended up keeping things in our case. The shower had a sauna facility but wasnt working!! You pay for the location of this hotel and there are better priced hotels in the surrounding areas.

A visit to the Graslei area is a must, just sitting by the canal you could spend all day there watching the world go by.

We only visited Ghent to see our daughter but this is a real gem of a place, we went Brugges for the day too and its just as beautiful. Would definitely visit this town again, but would choose another hotel.

Room Tip: Make sure to ask for a room overlooking the canal.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed May 14, 2013

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Reviewed April 14, 2013

This hotel is in an great part of the city and our room was very good - spacious,clean and modern.

Parking is nearby and cheap.

Free Wifi is nice.

The only two negatives is that is the bar is nothing to write home about but due to the hotel's location that is really not a problem. Breakfast was horrendously expensive to the extent that we did not bother.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 13, 2013

Pleasant hôtel, but not four star standard and if you are looking for a historic building, forget it. The building was just gutted and modernised to death. Got slightly short changed after double mistake in bill, left shirts for laundry, they never were sent. Still, the people are pleasant and it is well located. I still recommend it.

Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business