“paperthin walls”

Ranked #10 of 37 Hotels in Ghent
Berlin, Berlin, Germany
“paperthin walls”
Reviewed January 10, 2013

nice stylish hotel, a bit old in some areas (not recently revovated), great breakfast, located in the centre of Gent and at the river, great view from my room to the river (a channel), but: paperthin walls in my room #222. A guy in the room next to me had a phone call and was talking in a normal way - can't sleep!

Room Tip: ask for a silent room!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
RIVER72, Manager at Ghent River Hotel, responded to this review, March 6, 2013
Dear

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I am pleased to read that you are so positive about our hotel but was sorry to hear that you experienced some disturbance from the room next door.
Being a unique conversion from a sugar factory to a modern/historic hotel, some of our rooms have indeed thin walls. In the future, we are planning to renovate the rooms in order to insulate them better. I very much hope to welcome you back to the Ghent River Hotel again and, once again, thank you for your constructive feedback.

Philippe Destray

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
New York City, New York
Reviewed January 9, 2013

My wife, mother-in-law and I stayed in the Ghent River Hotel in September for 3 days. We were very satisfied with all aspects of its performance. Our room with its bare ceiling beams was classy and comfortable. The breakfast room with its views of the city and its plentiful offerings was wonderful. And the service was courteous and effective.

Of course I would be remiss if I didn't mention the location. Just east of the Vrijdagmarkt, we found it easy to get to everything in the historic center. Walking from the hotel to various sights was a joy, with the nearby canal, the Korenmarkt and things like the Dulle Griet cannon along the way.

Room Tip: Ask for a canal side room - we had one on the first floor, and while the canal can be a bit grimy, w...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
RIVER72, Manager at Ghent River Hotel, responded to this review, February 20, 2013
Dear

I wanted to pass on my sincere thanks for taking the time and trouble to leave your comment. I was delighted to learn that you enjoyed your stay at the Ghent River Hotel and was most interested to read your valuable feedback.
We very much look forward to welcoming you to the Ghent River Hotel again.

Kind Regards

Sausalito, CA
Reviewed January 6, 2013

The hotel is well located and near everything in the city centre. The rooms are clean and quiet, but agree with some of the other comments about the lobby which needs attention. Unfortunately, our rental car was dinged in the parking lot outside, so we would recommend parking in the safer underground lot that is also just by the hotel. The highlight of this hotel is the breakfast room and lovely breakfast served by Serif and his charming wife. They were so warm and friendly to us and their gracious hospitality is evident in the care they take with the wide variety of choices they serve. A lovely way to start the day in a beautiful city.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear

Thank you very much for this positive review. It is encouraging to hear that you are so positive about out breakfast staff. Hopefully we can welcome you again in the future!

Trier, Germany
Reviewed December 28, 2012

Nice location: refurbished old factory building with a nice breakfast room on the third floor with outside terrace that should make for a nice breakfast in the summer.

The hotel advertises itself as a 4 star hotel but this is overrated.

The reception area is messy clutter of stuff and styles.
And the hallways are filled throughout the day with cleaning trolleys. We came back at 15:00 to bring some stuff to our room: a staff member left the lift empty handed leaving a tray piled up with dirty breakfast dishes and leftovers (at 15:00!)

Part of the hotel is newly built but we stayed in the old part where room was small. The heating in the bathroom was inadequate.

A little maintenance would help would help keep the place in shape: our bathroom heating didn't work (so a second electric system was added) and the handles of the bathroom door fell off as did the handle of one the windows (does housekeeping pay attention?)

More important though, as others have said before, service is lacking. Our room still had dirty clothing of the previous guests in the cupboard, toilet paper ran out (no spare new roll) and breakfast is very so so (coffee is very poor for a 4 star hotel, the marmalade was cheap and bread was old). First morning the host at breakfast was more concerned with checking out social websites rather than helping out with breakfast.

This is not a 4 star hotel and we would strongly suggest to check out some other hotels in Gent first.

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank DJH2724SP
Dear

I want to thank you for taking the time to pass on your comments. I was sorry to read that our hotel was not what you expected. We will certainly keep your remarks in mind. I want to pass on my sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused.

Mainz, Germany
Reviewed December 25, 2012

The hotel is OK, breakfast room is very nice, breakfast is OK and IHMO too expensive.
I got a room in the "newest" dependence . The room was very spacious and good, bath was also very spacious and OK (shower could be better, e.g. there were some old yellow plastic shower partition).

I paid too much on checkout (some extra positions on the bill), however, after a couple of friendly emails the hotel made the complete refund. So, the customer service is great.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Dear

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment!

Geneva, Switzerland
Reviewed December 19, 2012

The hotel is situated in an old packhouse on the river and the rooms have a great feel. The location is good and generally speaking the hotel delivers so that the value for money ratio is actually quite good. The owner or manager of the hotel should do something about the entire service of the hotel. The reception staff is outright rude sometimes and clearly not motivated. Form 8 in the morning until late in the afternoon, there are housekeeping trolleys in the corridors and housekeeping staff are chatting in the corridors. The reception area is messy and the whole feel of the hotel is unkept (notwithstanding the clean rooms and bathrooms!). With a professional new manager, the hotel will be great.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank mjelling
Dear

I was most interested to read your feedback, but was sorry to read that you were not happy about the service in our hotel. We always strive to give our guests value for money and a great all-round experience. Guests’ comments are of paramount importance to us, both in terms of measuring our standard of service and in our ongoing endeavour to give our guests the best possible stay at the Ghent River Hotel. I offer my sincere apologies for any inconvenience caused.

Nanjing, China
Reviewed December 18, 2012

I stayed here for 3 weeks, it is near the city center (Friday Market (Vrijdag market or sth like this is I spelled right), and about 5 min walk to Corn Market. Hotel itself is in a small alley behind the friday market but taxi driver all know it. it's also about 15 min walk to closest railway station(Gent Dampoort) and 20 ~30 min walk to main train station (Gent St peters) where runs hourly train from gent to brussel/ liege(tranfer to Germany)/ lille (where you can tranfer to SNCF TGV train to Paris, cheeper than Thalys) / Antwerpen.
My company paid the bill so price is not really my concern but if I remembered correctly is is about 120 EUR for a spacious double bed room (with chair and desk where you can work).
This hotel is right next to a river and sometimes some tour boat will comes by and be a little bit noisy but it won't last long so not really a problem.
In certain part of the day the minibar in the ground floor will comes with a half price happy hour which I liked very much.
Internet is free (wifi) but you have to ask for password at front desk.
In the morning hotel has morning buffet and it is really nice.
Generally speaking it is a really nice hotel and I'll suggest it to my friend

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Dear

Thanks for your positive words about our hotel!
I hope to see you again in the future!