“Pricey for what's on the plate and not very authentic asian dishes” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Lucy Chang

Lucy Chang
Ranked #655 of 839 Restaurants in Ghent
Cuisines: Asian, Thai
Good for: Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Ostend, Belgium
“Pricey for what's on the plate and not very authentic asian dishes”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 18, 2014

I've travelled to China and my friends father is married to a Thai woman. So I guess we both know the difference between original Asian dishes and what is served at Lucy Chang. I ordered the Szechuan noodle soup with duck, my friend had a vegetarian Thai dish. The Szechuan noodle soup which is supposed to be spicey (Szechuan is the region of the spice in China) was very blend, lacking taste as well in the stock as the general flavor. My friend did not even recognise his dish as being Thai kitchen as it is served in Thailand. Now, don't get me wrong: the food is not bad, but it's a typical western-asian fusion which ends up not being very good in either departement. The interior however offers a nice atmosphere and I guess if you've never been in Asia you might enjoy the food. However, it's too pricey for what it is: noodles, stock and some veggies are not very expensive ingredients, so serving it at € 12 for a bowl is simply too much. When you order some side dishes (which is like appropriate in Asia -there they would never serve you only one dish) you're in for an expensive treat.

• Visited May 2014
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

Beijing, China
“Yummy noodle soup”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 5, 2014

I like the noodle soup there. Kind of Vietnamese taste. A bit cheaper would be good. Can't use visa.

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank y h
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“Yuck”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 3, 2013 via mobile

On Sunday in the center of Ghent there was nothing else open. This looked nice from the outside and I was in the mood for Asian. Big mistake: tasteless, rubbery fish cakes, Malay curry that consisted of nothing but chicken and onions, a bowl of rice that had to be ordered separately and an 'infusion' of lemongrass that was nothing but hot water and also cost 3,50 euro. Bad, bad, bad... 25 euros for a thoroughly lousy meal.

2 Thank RachelE188590
Ghent
“Reasonable cooking with some service issues”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2013

This chain restaurant has a quite nice decoration. Me and my wife popped in for a quick dinner. When checking in on Foursquare we saw that we would be offered a free cocktail. We ordered a Mojito and a beer for me. For food we had beef curry and fried rice. The food arrived for the drinks so we canceled the cocktail. It was very difficult communicating with our servant as she did not speak Dutch, but not that much English neither. When asking which beer she could recommend, Singha or Chang, she answered 'beer is nice'. The meal tasted ok. But again a plate missing to eat the curry. We took a dessert, chocolat mousse. We could have done without because it wasn't fresh at all. I think it was allready some time in a cooler without some foil on it as it was 'dried out', the taste was ok. Unexcusable even for a chain restaurant.
Back home I noticed that they did not charge the wine my wife had. By accident or as an compensation for not being able to offer the Foursquare freebie. We'll never know. In the end kitchen ok on taste with sympathetic but not top professional staff.

• Visited August 2013
Brugge
“Terrible experience”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2013

We wanted to try this place cause it looks kinda pretty and I had never heard of Lucy Chang. I wish I still never heard of it! Horrible food and way overpriced! If you want this kind of fastfood then you are better of at Wok Away or buy some french fries or a kebab in the many cheaper foodstalls that Gent has to offer. This is just a money making machine that is covered with a restaurant decor. The food is way overpriced for the amount you get and since it also tastes a awful you're just getting ripped of! My girlfriend her Malaysian curry was waaaay too sweet while my dish had rubber squid and was almost not eatable salty...

We didn't complain as opposed to other people on a table next to us, but I'm sure that I will never return here again! If you want Asian food check out the little places tucked away in little alleys and don't go for these fancy looking branded chain restaurants, EVER! :D

• Visited June 2012