“Classic cocktails”

Ranked #106 of 891 Restaurants in Ghent
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: Cocktailbar
Reviewed February 2, 2014 via mobile

Nice personal welcome. Small list of cocktails of the month but you ask anything if you want something else. Good knowledge of all possible drinks and beautiful setting.

There are newer reviews for Jigger's

Reviewed October 31, 2013

You have to make reservations… to have a drink! So already I was excited to see what was in store for our visit. Then when you get there, you have to ring the doorbell - how fun! We are brought downstairs in the basement with low lighting and are provided with their agenda/menu. They create custom drinks each week and write them in the agenda. You can pick them from that week or earlier weeks, and the agenda is full from the cocktails throughout the year.

My husband challenged them to make a Brandy Old Fashioned (famous in Wisconsin…) and they came through! The bartenders at Jiggers really take pride in knowing their drinks!

Definitely make a stop here on your trip to Gent!

Reviewed August 14, 2013

Jigger's being a "hype" amidst the inhabitants of Ghent, I wanted to go and see this special cocktail bar for myself.
So I made a reservation (you can only make your reservation on the same day that you want to visit, starting from 4pm that day so you actually even have to schedule 'making the appointment' into your agenda.)

We were lucky enough to get a reservation for that (Friday) night (not on the exact hour we wanted it though) and were also VERY lucky to find a parking space right in front of the bar (otherwise parking around Jigger's area, might get tricky so if you want to come by car, make sure to count in enough extra time to find your parking space and walk to Jigger's.)

Once we got in, it was immediately clear to me that the bar breathed a very cosy atmosphere. We were greeted by the owner's wife in a friendly way. The weather was nice so we sat outside in the cosy courtyard. It was also clear to me why they want you to make a reservation upfront: the bar is quite small and they want to give a personal service to everybody. So far so good.

But then I saw the (very original) cocktail menu (rather a handwritten book) and I couldn't find any cocktail that seemed appealing to me. OK, I must admit I don't like many types of alcohol and I'm the kind of type who rather sticks to the familiar stuff. But when I asked the waitress if they could make a mojito, she replied the bartender prefers to be more original than that (and thus not make the mojito, even if you ask them to.) So I asked if it would be ok to get a cosmopolitan, to which she replied yes. Hurray, I thought! I'm going to have a nice cocktail in this nice place...
But then I drank the first sip from my glass and my joy was over... The taste felt repulsive. I know taste is only personal but still: I really didn't like it. Being convinced about all the good critics, I thought "what have they done to the cosmopolitan's recipe to make it more original? Don't know what it is, but I don't like it."
Furthermore the color was green and not pinkish. But I still thought "Well, it's probably because they wanted to give it that special twist for which they are well-known now".
So I didn't complain. I also took a sip from my friend's cocktail (chosen from the menu) and was glad that I didn't have to drink that one (impossible for me to drink because of the very high amount of strong alcohol.)
So we drank our glasses and decided to leave. 12 EUR for a cocktail, way too expensive if you ask me (there are a few other cocktail bars in Ghent like Limonada and White Cat who serve the more "standard" cocktails at about half the price)
When I looked at the receipt, I saw a Margarita on my ticket. Aha! THAT was the reason why it was green and why I didn't like it at all!
The waitress was friendly enough to ask if we found everything all right before we left, but since she had a full plate in her hands and it was getting very busy inside (and myself still not having processed the error entirely) I just replied with a polite "yes" (looking at it afterwards, I should have told her about the mistake of course.)

So we went to the Champagne bar afterwards where we had two delicious glasses of Champagne for the same price of 1 bad cocktail.

Cosy bar, friendly service but not worth for me to go back to.

Reviewed March 1, 2013 via mobile

We tried to ring to book but was not able to get through so in the end we thought we would see if we could make a reservation in person. We showed up at 6.30 on a fri night and ghey initially said he wasnt sure as he thought they may be fully booked. As we were waiting for him to check some people left and he told us we could have thier table until 8.

There are some quirks which could be seen as pretentious but seemed to genuinly work well such ss hand written menus in journals and water served in teacups.

Service was excellent and cocktails unusual and top quality.

Well worth booking and going.

Reviewed November 26, 2012

My wife and I visited Jigger's on 15th November 2012, a Thursday night, and were met at the door by the hostess who inquired as to whether we had a reservation which we didn't . She said the bar area was full . Since it was cold outside, we asked if we could wait in the foyer till a place was available, at which point she said she would ask the manager. She returned from within the bar and asked us to come back after half an hour . What was disconcerting ,was , whilst we were waiting another couple just walked in .I would like to give the place the benefit of the doubt but I got the clear impression that the bar was following a discriminatory police against non-Europeans.i would have liked to visit the bar as we had heard it was a great place but this experience left a bad taste in the mouth. I am aware that some places "screen" their guests if they are casually dressed but both of us were as appropriately dressed as the other couple which I mentioned.

3  Thank yashkapadia
Jiggers16, Owner at Jigger's, responded to this reviewResponded November 28, 2012

Dear Yaskapadia,

my name is Olivier Jacobs, I've started Jigger's together with my girlfriend about nine months ago.
Last week thursday she came down in the bar and told me people were standing at the door, very friendly, probably Indian people and asked me if they could come in since they were not from around and probably wouldn't have another chance to see the bar. I told her they couldn't at the moment but" tell them to come back in about half an hour" was my reply, because we still had some reservations and the bar was already a little crowded (We only serve people who are seated, or at least try to manage to get everybody a seat).
So after 15 minutes there was a table available and we kept it free for 45 minutes for you guys.
The people who came in had a reservation, nothing to do with black, green red or purple neither with europe, america or whatever part of the world.
We just try to give a good service to everybody, a pitty you guys didn't come back.

Olivier Jacobs