“Definitely choosing it again.”
Review of Erasmus

Erasmus
Ranked #21 of 39 Hotels in Ghent
Reviewed June 17, 2014

After a couple of rough experiences on Booking.com, I gave it a last chance: I was in a hurry to book a hotel for a work meeting, and used the website again, hoping to get at least not too disappointed with the option I would get. Walking distance from the place where I had scheduled my meeting: that's all I needed, and I was ready not to be too picky about my stay. The hotel was instead an epiphany: hidden from the main streets, but still extremely near every thing, with a secret garden in the back, and extremely quiet (I asked for the quiet room though, as I had had nearly no sleep in 48 hours.) My room had a bathtub and wifi internet was "free" as I had booked through Booking.com. Excellent continental breakfast, even if I learnt not to be too fussy generally speaking, except when it comes to espresso, which was extremely good too. I hope to be able to come back to this beautiful city with my better half, and possibly for a break, and not for work. Erasmus hotel will definitely be my responsible choice next time.

Room Tip: Get the quiet room!
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank Siebel2011

Reviewed May 28, 2014

Old Style building and old style service ie; genuine and excellent.
Manager is fantastic.. waited until our late arrival (23:30) and still greeted us with a genuine welcoming smile....not the 'plastic' type that you get with "Have a nice day"
Excellent value for money.
I had room No. 2 which overlooked the rear garden...very peaceful
Would have preferred it if the WiFi was free but at the price we paid it was a very small inconvenience...
Would definately stay here again.

Room Tip: Room overlooking garden is quiet.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed April 20, 2014

We enjoyed staying at this hotel. There is lots of history at this hotel, going back to the philosopher Erasmus after which the hotel was named. Rooms were fine, aged but that is the theme of the hotel. The internet was fast, additional charge of 5 euro.

Location was excellent - in the city centre and a few minutes walk from restaurants, river and bars. The restaurants seemed to close early (before 8pm) so be quick.

Breakfast was typical continental, would be happy to stay again

Room Tip: Great location, reasonable price
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank MJ_Beijing2014
Reviewed February 23, 2014

Former rich people's house, in nice old style and furniture. Walk out of the hotel and you are smack in the center of town near the Gravensteen castle. Friendly reception. Clean and hygienical hotel and rooms, and ample bath and shower. Parking garages at a hundred meters walking distance for eleven euro per 24 hours. Breakfast is somewhat simple, but nutritious. I recommended this hotel for couples, children and singles. Not for elderly: stairs only.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Erik B
Reviewed December 1, 2013

We had the pleasure to stay here last week via WeekendjeWeg. Booked last-minute at 69.00 euro for a double room.
The hotel is very centrally located, but still tucked away from the busy city center.
We felt very welcome by the friendly and highly professional staff.
This hotel oozes charm, warmth and character with it's high ceilings, old floors and beautiful wooden furniture. It must also be said that the facade of the hotel is rather impressive.

We were very happy with the cosy (and spacious) room, which had a double bed as requested. Extra cushions and blankets were available in the cupboard. Small fridge in the room with some soda's and Belgian beers are very reasonable prices.
The TV and clock radio seemed to have aged quite a bit, but that only added to the charm of the room.
We had room 7 overlooking the garden. Very very quiet and we had a great night's sleep.

Breakfast served between 7 and 10 : croissants, bread, jam, variety of cold cuts, coffee etc ... more than enough and tasty and fresh.

Will definitely return and recommend this hotel!

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the garden, much more peaceful! Room 7 is wonderful.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Food L
Reviewed November 5, 2013

This is a nice old-fashioned hotel, different from most other hotels. Charm and character, and it has got everything you really need.

I would like to highlight the very helpful service. I arrive *really* late at 1am: no problem. I lost my e-ticket and asked them to please print a replacement: no problem. I left really early, and asked for a snack breakfast the night before: no problem. They were really, really helpful.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed October 26, 2013

First as others said it is not as in their picture on the canal but up the street two blocks from the canal and bridge into the old town and is across from another hotel. The first night we were put up in the attic room with two beds it was chilly when we arrived and turned the registers up full and went out. We had been out all day visiting the town in the rain and came back to a still chilly room. We asked the desk about the heat and was told it does not come on until a certain time. By the time the room warmed up it was close to 10pm, I guess due to the high ceiling.
We asked for another room the next day and were given one on the the second floor. This was more spacious and better furnished with lower ceilings, we were out all day and return this time to a warm room.
All this being said it is a quaint older house converted to a hotel and is full of charm, furnished in antiques, the staff were very nice and accommodating. The breakfast and view of the garden a great way to start the day, and it is close to everything.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple