“Worth visiting if you have a head for heights”
Review of Gravensteen Castle

Gravensteen Castle
Book In Advance
$54.63*
Ghent and Bruges Day Trip from Brussels
$127.08*
and up
Brussels Super Saver: Brussels Sightseeing Tour, Antwerp Half-Day Trip, Day...
$166.28*
Private Tour: Ghent and Bruges Day Trip from Brussels
Ranked #5 of 176 things to do in Ghent
More attraction details
Owner description: The only surviving "castle of the count."
Amersham, United Kingdom
57 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 87 helpful votes
“Worth visiting if you have a head for heights”
Reviewed September 9, 2013

Gravensteen is a majestic looking castle in the middle of the town, surrounded by tram tracks, canals and cafes. Entry was free for me with my CityCard.

My brain was obviously on a go-slow because I hadn't thought that, if I wanted to see anything, I was going to have to climb inside the buildings. The visit follows a prescribed course and the stairs are mostly spiral, narrow and worn ... actually going up wasn't too bad and the views at the top were wonderful.

The torture room was ... interesting. It isn't a torture museum and doesn't pretend to be (see one of the previous reviews). It's a room with torture instruments in it. There's also an armoury. Most of the rooms are empty but with information about the history.

Coming down the stairs was another thing entirely. A very kind Dutch(?) couple saw my hesitation and one went in front of me and the other behind which made me feel a great deal safer and I offer them my heartfelt thanks should they be reading this.

Height, or rather steep drop, problems continued right to the end of the trail where the walkway round the inside of the outer wall had a steep drop to the courtyard.

Despite all that, it was a good place to go and visit - I felt by the end that I had learnt something, beaten my fear of heights temporarily and had some great views.

Visited July 2013

• Turkish first
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
158 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 207 helpful votes
“Rebuilt castle with a sample of city history”
Reviewed September 7, 2013

Worth a visit if walking uin center of town to at least see views across city. Quite a bit of walking and access to stairs might be challenging for those with mobility issues. Several areas with no rail or barrier to a spectacular fall! Torture chamber and instruments are not for faint hearted.

Visited August 2013
38 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 33 helpful votes
“Great views, nice tour”
Reviewed September 6, 2013 via mobile

The entrance was complementary staying at hotel Gravensteen. The steep, narrow stairways can be a challenge. Gives a decent, yet somewhat claustrophobic, feel of life in the castle. The videotape was a nice extra, telling a take which is loosely based on the local history. Weapons room is probably the most complete room, the rest may seen a bit bare. The keep facilitates an excellent view of Ghent.

Visited September 2013
Sussex by the sea
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Very interesting, but not with an hangover”
Reviewed September 5, 2013

A lovely old castle in the centre of Ghent which we discovered also houses a museum of torture and execution instruments. If you have a hang-over you may want to skip that part of the attraction! Ramparts of great for photos of the city and cathedral. Even better, free entry to under 19's when we visited!

Visited September 2013
Atlanta, Georgia
53 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 53 helpful votes
“Crusader Castle”
Reviewed September 4, 2013

I didn't bother paying to visit the inside of this castle, but it is an amazing sight from the outside. Our guide told us this was built by the Knights Templar. I can just imagine knights and lords and ladies walking the grounds.

Some of our friends paid to visit the torture museum, but didn't give it very high marks.

Visited August 2013