Open today: 10:00 AM - 5:15 PM

from $52.80
from $122.70
from $160.60
1,767 results
All reviews torture devices self guided tour torture chamber medieval weapons worth a visit middle ages on display entrance fee medieval times couple of hours city centre visiting ghent armour ramparts guillotine dungeon gravensteen
Reviewed 4 days ago via mobile

We did not take the audio tour as we heard that it was rather disappointing and aimed towards a younger audience. The best part about the castle was the view on top. From here you can see the Ghent skyline and the three main big buildings.
For the rest it is not very special, but still fascinating to see such an old massive castle in the middle of the city.

We took a free walking tour beforehand, and our guide did give us a nice base of information before we went in.

Reviewed 6 days ago

Great fun, and fantastic views of Ghent. There is a wonderful courtyard that a travel companion who couldn't handle all the stairs enjoyed while she waited for us to finish our explorations. Thankfully her entrance fee was refunded when she quickly realized that her knees wouldn't let her continue.

Reviewed 6 days ago

Childhood memories and more
Review of Gravensteen Castle
Pending review

I was born in Gent and have mixed memories of growing up here. After 30 years living and working abroad I returned early 2017. My city has changed a lot over the years and for the better.
I now visit all the places my (grand)parents took us as kids or that we went to on school trips.

The Gravensteen castle brings back a lot of happy and excited memories. Listening my grandpa tell stories about the place and of how he remembered it when he was a young boy growing in the shadow of the castle was like living in a storybook. I now tell some of the stories to my own kids and you can see the twinkle in their eyes as they listen.

Since we are back we have paid several visits already. And for kids and history buffs this really is a must see when you visit Gent. Every visit reveals something new. Can't recommend this place enough.

Reviewed 1 week ago via mobile

If you're just after a nice walk around an old castle and not actually interested to learn anything about it would probably be a nice hour. I could imagine my neice and nephew would find some of the humour hilarious the audiotour is definitely aimed towards kids.

If though, you visited because you were actually really interested in learning about the old castle; the history, origins and really anything interesting/cool about it you can't find out easily (inc. about the previous inhabitants) then you're really out of luck with this audiotour...

There are no boards around to explain why there are trapdoors here and holes in walls there... there is nothing at all except for the guy on the audiotour telling you about how he ate gone off yoghurt and sicked it up, or describing the toilet holes in the floor in massive depth or that he and his wife bought a house nearby and have 2 kids.

Was so disappointed I looked into buying a private tour so I could go back the next day and do it with someone who really knows the castle and all its secrets but its sadly €80 minimum charge... and of course so last minute that they were booked up for the next week.

Really love castles but I've come away from this one knowing so little except what I saw with my own eyes (or was able to Google while there). I hope they improve it and if they do I'd like to come back to find out some more about this beautiful place.

Reviewed 1 week ago

I adore castles, and Gravensteen Castle must be a stunning one back in her days, and it remains until now. Make sure you pick up your headset guide on your way in. We did not realize it was included with the entry ticket, and I was too excited to go in, so we skipped the headphones guide hall.

Reviewed 1 week ago

The castle was incredible! We used the English audio guide and it was informative and hilarious. This was the best audio guide we’d ever heard. We definitely recommend touring this castle.

Reviewed 1 week ago

Let's be honest, how often haven't you gone to a museum or other sight and gotten the audiotour which is boring in the best case. You diligently work your way through the numbers halfway deciding to cut them off and skip parts. Well, this will not happen anymore at Gravensteen. The hilarious comments of comedian Wouter Deprez has you wondering if there is maybe MORE after the last number came up. It is a wonderful humoristic approach that makes people all over the site smile while listening to the comments, whilst still giving you the basics of the history of the site. And impressive it is. Beautifully restored and definitely worth a visit.

Reviewed 1 week ago

This castle was very amazing! Be sure and get the audio guide so you can learn the history of the castle. Very interesting! There is also some coats of armor to see and some very nice views of Ghent.

Reviewed 1 week ago via mobile

Not only was the self guided audio tour by far the most hilarious commentary I have ever heard, but the castle was immaculately preserved! Although not furnished like most castles, there was beautiful caricatures that went along with the very funny audio portion of the self guided tour as you went through all the rooms. Time very well spent here and thoroughly entertained. It was beautiful and filled with laughs! Highly recommended!

Reviewed 1 week ago via mobile

Very interesting to visit. You should see the view from the top. Take the audio narrator it is fun. You can feel the history.