“Good hotel for touring the area.”

Holiday Inn Gent Expo
Ranked #19 of 39 Hotels in Ghent
Reviewed May 9, 2014

The hotel was bright and clean, the rooms were well laid out and an excellent shower. The bar was well stocked and I enjoyed a beer from there with my evening meal. The meals were a little like any self service, though a distinct lack of beef. We did get beef olives which were mostly just a very thin wrapping of beef and filled with rather a lot of stuffing. Close to the tram station if you wanted to leave the car behind. The staff were friendly and helpful and spoke pretty good English which was helpful. Good lift.

Room Tip: Ask for an outside room, the inside room could be a little dark in the winter months.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
genthotelier, General Manager at Holiday Inn Gent Expo, responded to this reviewResponded May 11, 2014

Dear 404Mij404,

Thank you for reviewing us on Tripadvisor.
I am happy to read your stay was enjoyable because of our rooms with comfortable shower, the staff’s language skills and a comfortable shower. Being in Belgium you should definitely try out some of our beers which you clearly did and enjoyed during your evening meal.
I hope Holiday Inn Gent Expo will be your preferred hotel during your next visit to Ghent.

Reviewed May 3, 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for first night of a trip down through France. Room was clean and spacious, was a bit concerned as was an inner room overlooking the restuarant and bar area but could not hear a thing even when the restuarant was busy, didn't eat in the evening as arrived late but did have a drink in the bar. Breakfast the next morning was very good with plenty of choice.

• Stayed: April 2014
genthotelier, General Manager at Holiday Inn Gent Expo, responded to this reviewResponded May 4, 2014

Dear Ollie2870,

Thank you for taking the time to write down a review about Holiday Inn Gent Expo. I am delighted to read your doubts about a room overlooking the restaurant turned into a positive experience.
Our breakfast can daily be used in an American style buffet with various types of bread, cereals, boiled eggs and scrambled egg, cheese, yoghurt, fresh fruit, hot sausage, … We want to offer our guests enough choice to begin the day with a good breakfast.
Would be great to have you back at the hotel in the future.

Reviewed April 23, 2014

The hotel is centrally located in the EXPO/business area of Ghent which makes the hotel attractive for business travelers. The rooms are OK, service is excellent, it's clean and in general I am happy with the experience. I am seldom unhappy, but I feel that I should share my disappointment with the hotel experience since it is tailored for business travelers and I probably have to stay there again.

I think that the hotel lacks some of the main functions a good, remote business hotel should have:
- A well equipped gym / recreation area.
- A good restaurant. Last visit to Ghent I stayed downtown and was dining at the local restaurants who offered in general very good and affordable food. The menu at the hotel consists mainly of overpriced (double the price of a downtown good restaurant) unhealthy canteen food.
- Information. The only information leaflet you'll receive is a letter referring to information on the room TV. The hotel information part of the room TV is empty. This means that I do not have any information about the hotel nor nearby surroundings other than asking the busy receptionist.
- Reception shop offering. I miss a good selection of books and newspapers (I got my hands on a Flanders News from October 2013 from the reception. It was free!)
- Bicycle rental. We're in Belgium.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank brasoygard
genthotelier, General Manager at Holiday Inn Gent Expo, responded to this reviewResponded April 28, 2014

Dear Brasoygard,
I would like to thank you for your review on Tripadvisor about your last stay with us in April this year.
Sharing your experience with us and others gives us the opportunity to improve some imperfections. These notes will definitely be discussed with the departments involved such as the error on your television. We do indeed have all the important information about our hotel displayed at the television screen. Information about Ghent can always be asked at the reception or free leaflets can be found next to the reception area. Our apologies about the old newspaper you received. This is not acceptable, however I do like your idea about a selection of books being offered at the reception. Despite this negative notes I am pleased to read you did enjoy your stay in general because of the clean rooms and service provided by our staff. If you would perhaps be visiting us again during the summer, a bike can daily be rent from the reception for €10 a day. We would like to have the opportunity to serve you again in the future.

Reviewed April 22, 2014

We stayed at this hotel last week as part of a tour to brugge and dutch gardens. The rooms are spacious we had an outer room overlooking the expo center,it was nice and clean with tea and coffee tray so that you can make a drink when you want to. We stayed on a bed and breakfast and evening meal deal. Both breakfast and dinner were good plenty of choice and you got to help yourself this also included tea or coffee as well which you helped yourself too.Easy to get into ghent by tram which was just 5mins walk from hotel.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear 43j,

Thank you and your group members for staying at our hotel and writing this lovely review about us. Your satisfaction both about the rooms and dining facilities pleases me because we want you to feel like you’re at home. Knowing that we succeeded gives me and my team a good feeling. I hope you had an amazing time at the Dutch gardens and Bruges as well and maybe till next time at Holiday Inn Gent Expo.

Reviewed April 22, 2014

I have stayed at this hotel several times and have never had any problems. The rooms are clean and well equipped. The breakfast is plentiful and really sets you up for the day. The bar is cosy although not big never had a problem in getting a seat. Ideal location for a quiet stay in Ghent and you can easily get to the town centre via the Tram service (tickets available from hotel reception). I can say that we will definitely be staying here again as a family and have recommended it to friends who have also stayed and want to go back.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family

Dear Jenny4903,
Wow, a big thank you for recommending us to others because of your own positive experiences with the hotel. It is definitely necessary to have a good breakfast at the beginning of the day and a place to relax at the end of the day, for example our newly refurbished bar The Loop. I am delighted by the idea you feel this comfortable at our hotel. Looking forward to welcome you again at Holiday Inn Gent Expo.

Reviewed April 21, 2014

We stayed for just one night but were generally impressed by the hotel. The staff were polite, the rooms quite large and the facilities clean. The wifi signal was terrible in the rooms which was disappointing for a business hotel, and a member of staff admitted it was a common problem. The breakfasts weren't particularly to my taste but there was a lot on offer.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the restaurant, a rare experience!
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends

Dear Sophie P,

Thank you for your time to write down your opinion about our hotel. We are pleased you enjoyed your room on the inside of the hotel which has a nice view overlooking our Atrium restaurant. We understand your stay was not that satisfying for you because of the bad WIFI signal. Our hotel is always trying to improve where necessary why I can proudly announce we will have a complete new WIFI network soon. We all hope to have the opportunity to welcome you again in the future.

Reviewed March 30, 2014

What a disappointment. You always expect a warm welcome in hotel, especially when you are a platinum member.

Not so in this hotel. I arrived around 11PM and the guy at the desk was more interested in the game (?) on his computer than new guests.

Although the website of the hotel indicated there were executive rooms available I didn’t get an upgrade. Nor a voucher for a drink. Not even a bottle of water in my room.
So just a very unwarmy welcome with no special treatment for platinum members.

When I went back to complain he just ignored me.

Breakfast was another big disappointment. Limited choices, scrambled eggs that ware very creamy and un-tasty, a fruit salad bowl that was empty when I arrived and still was 20 minutes later.

Worst Holiday Inn ever. Don’t stay here.

Especially because staff and general management don’t seem to care at all. This used to a good hotel but that seems to be the past.

Rooms are okay.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Gilleke1971
genthotelier, General Manager at Holiday Inn Gent Expo, responded to this reviewResponded March 31, 2014

Dear Mr. Gilis ,
First of all, we want to apologize for the incident during your last stay. Your comments are very important for us. Because off your review we get the opportunity to improve our service and quality. We want to thank you for the time you took to share your experience.

As already mentioned by phone, we needed to analyse this case. This has now happened and we can guarantee that we have taken all measures necessary to avoid this kind of situations in the future. Our night employee was extensively informed about those issues. We have more courses planned for him with regard to the welcoming of IHG rewards club and certainly for Platinum members .Concerning the breakfast we have taken the same measures and there will be a better supervision on the buffet and the quality of our scrambled eggs .

Your comments were definitely justified and we want to apologize for this incident . To compensate IHG guest relations awarded you with 6,000 points . We guarantee you that this is a one-off incident and hope to restore the confidence in Holiday Inn Gent Expo. We are looking forward to your next stay where we will convince you about the quality level of the welcoming and the breakfast. I personally would like to welcome you again and I will ask your opinion about your experience at our hotel. Because my team and myself are very committed with the service and quality level of Holiday Inn Gent Expo.

Kindest regards,