“Good stay but a little out of the way” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Holiday Inn Gent Expo

Ranked #16 of 37 Hotels in Ghent
Melbourne, Australia
“Good stay but a little out of the way”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 8, 2013

We spent 2 nights in Ghent in January, we found holiday inn express to be a nice hotel to stay at with friendly and helpful staff and comfortable rooms with plenty of space.
It was a bit of a journey by tram into the city of Ghent, which didnt take very long (maybe 15 mins.) Easy to get to from Ghent station, but was a bit annoying to walk to from tram stop especially when lugging around suitcases in the snow!
We did not eat breakfast here, but the restuarant area looked lovely. The hotel seemed very quiet like there were not many people staying here, yet they gave us a room that overlooked the inside of the hotel (the restaurant), we would have prefered a window looking to outside.

We also found there to be lots of noises such as running water from showers, toilets and taps from above rooms, and as we were on the bottom floor, this was constant throughout the night and kept us awake.

Ikea was right across the road which was great! We had an afternoon to fill in so we went shopping and went across later that night for dinner in the ikea restaurant which was very good as always!
We probably wont be going back to Ghent in the future although a very beautiful city,we felt we have seen everything there is to see here. If we were recommending places to stay, Holiday Inn Expo is a good place to rest the head, but ,maybe something closer to town would be more easier especially if you wanted places to eat out from, and for sightseeing etc.

Room Tip: ask for a room on the top floor, you may find you have less noise to keep you awake at night!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
genthotelier, General Manager at Holiday Inn Gent Expo, responded to this review, March 11, 2013
Dear Sir, Madam
First of all I like to thank you for your stay in Holiday Inn Gent Expo and for your constructive remarks. Compliments and remarks are always a fundamental help to confirm the professional personal attitude of our staff and to improve our product.
To be sure that all our guests can relax and enjoy themselves, our Managers on Duty are always present to help and resolve any kind of requests. Never hesitate to contact them and explain what we can do to make your stay more comfortable.
We are happy that you visited and liked our historical city Ghent even in the time when the weather conditions are not so optimal. Our local area is still evolving. The project “The Loop” continues to attract different kind of other possibilities like a shopping centre etc. Hotel guests will be offered more food & drink stores in the future.
If you do not like to travel by public transport then of course we understand why you would prefer a hotel in town. Finally after comparing the hotel rates in Ghent, you will note that we offer very competitive rates taking into account the rate for the tram i.e. 2,40 Euro for an all around trip.
Thank you again for your review and we hope that Belgium will be a destination again in the future.

Holiday Inn Gent Expo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
  • Czech first
  • Turkish first
Ghent, Belgium
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2013

I was planning to spend two nights in the Holiday Inn along with my husband and my little baby of 10 months old. the service was really great and the whole staff was very freindly.
My husband and I decided to extend our stay for an extra night. Before comming to this hotel I read about its facilities in the reservation website and it was written that there was a swimming pool and a sauna .. and even a children program. none of these were existed and I was checking with the front office when the front office manager came to me and politely tried to explain that thre were some error and the info were not properly updated. although I was really okay he apologised for this mistake and wanted to offer anything for me as an appologise, he was so kind, we asked for an extra night as my husband and I were moving to a new house in Gent and we needed that extra night indeed !
I love Holiday Inn Expo !!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
genthotelier, General Manager at Holiday Inn Gent Expo, responded to this review, March 4, 2013
Dear Yasmine F.

Once again you confirm that our staff tries always to go the extra mile. Thank you for your compliments and thank you for loving our hotel .

Please let me explain why an internet page other than our own could possibly show wrong information. This third website copied features from a wrong hotel. The mix-up started already with the hotel name. After informing our front desk we took the necessary steps to replace/remove the wrong information.

In the meantime I hope you are smoothly settled in your new home in Gent. When you are in the area of our hotel, please know that you are always welcome with your family.

Thank you again for your sincere compliments on Holiday Inn Gent Expo.

Haverhill, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 13, 2013

The HI Gent is a well thought out modern hotel positioned near the expo, and expo customers are what it's ideal for, although it can work for passing motorists just as well. It is not a city centre hotel but there is a very nearby direct tram which goes past the railway station and into the city. Getting there by car was a little disconcerting as you have to spiral in a bit and it makes you wonder if you're getting it right, and my sat-nav was useless (won't name names, but it's not a Tom Tom). A subsequent taxi back from the city (€25) proved my approach had been spot on, which was nice.
Check in (and check out) was unfailingly friendly and competent.
My room was spacious, clean and comfortable with all the usual facilities you'd expect of HI. The only issue I had was with the shower which was a bit wanting in the drenching department. Some people might say it was a little dated and could do with modernisation, but that's an aesthetic consideration rather than functional.
Breakfast is an extensive buffet in a light spacious atrium area, this gives a sense of space which contrasts with the rather cramped breakfast room of some other hotels. This area also houses the bar and restaurant.
Interestingly, if you go out of the hotel and turn left towards the trams, you will pass a section of the Berlin Wall.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank stuart462
genthotelier, General Manager at Holiday Inn Gent Expo, responded to this review, February 18, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Holiday Inn Gent Expo while in Gent and thank you for taking your time to write a positive review on our hotel. Your remarks reconfirm our 4-Star status.
Thanks to our location i.e. next to exhibition center, tram, E40, E17 and railway station are very nearby. GPS users should regularly update their GPS as streets, centers and roads forwards a hotel, like ours, are changed.

The recent water problem, due to a technical malfunction, was solved. Sorry for the inconvenience during your shower experience. I’ll further discuss your remarks with our owners of our hotel and will of course during the next financial investment take building and rooms under consideration.
The piece of the Berlin Wall was bought by the head accountant at Flanders expo in 1998 and weights 2750 kg. The reason of his purchase is that he is a avid collector of Berlin’s curiosities.

We thank you again for your stay and hope when you travelling to Gent, Holiday Inn Gent Expo will be the hotel for your next stay.

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 5, 2013

Ended up spending an additional two nights at the Marriott the next day because of the limited shuttle transport and remote location from the center. Good if you have a car but for a little more you can be in the center of town. Hotel is a bit dated and was sold to us as a 4 star hotel. Would not rate it a 4 star as it didn't even have room service, the towels were sand papery, carpet stains and nicks in the wood and the gym was one of the hotel rooms with a couple of old machines in them. The breakfast was ok but for a fraction of the price just run across the road/highway to the Ikea.

Room Tip: Try to get a room facing the outside. Inside rooms do not have windows that can open.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Sue K
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your feedback of your stay in our hotel. Thanks to your comments we can optimize our product & improve our service.

We are located nearby the junctions of the E40 and E17 and are indeed located very well for stopovers.

I'm very sorry to read that you didn't enjoy your stay at our hotel. Sometimes it's better to react immediately so we have the chance to make your stay better. By changing you to another room, or by acting and giving you a room that is meeting your expectations..

We guess that by mentioning the limited shuttle transport you mean the tram, that is located 100 meters from our hotel. The tram is going every 10 minutes and is passing beautiful historical buildings. We have no impact on this frequency I’m afraid.

Please know that our gym is regularly checked by our technicians and we can guarantee you that the equipment (2005) is working very well. The equipment is indeed not the newest on the market, but guests can thanks to the mini gym on site stay in good condition.

All guests can choose of course if they like to take their breakfast at our hotel or in Ikea, I can only confirm that our American Breakfast Buffet is of high quantity and quality (cold & warm).

Again, I would like to apologize for all the inconveniences you had in our hotel. I hope I can welcome you again, so you can see that your feedback improved our service.

Hove, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 30, 2013

We stayed in the hotel only for one night. We stopped to break up the journey to the north of Holland. I did some research and noticed a lot of people found it difficult to find the hotel by car. My sat nav, TomTom Live, dropped us off right at thefront door. And there are plenty of signs directing you. We arrived early and our room was ready for us. We were upgraded to an executive room ,am a platinum member of the priority club. We had our 3 month old son with us and teh hotel provided us with a cot. Even though we brought his own bed.

Also we received some vouchers for free drinks. And how refreshing to see if 2 people check in you both can have a free drink. The staff were very helpfull and professional. We bught tickets for teh tram from reception an dteh stop is may be only 5 mins walk away. We spent teh afternoon in Gent and enjoyed a few beers and some great food.

Our room was massive and we had plenty of room to move about. Next morning we didn't have breakfast. I still feel that breakfast in general is overcharged in hotels and this was no exception. Check out was easy and quick. I queried my carpark charge and the receptionist agreed with what I said and waived the charges. Just to point out normally i have no issue paying them. But on this occasion I thought it was unjustified.

Would we come back here? The answer is yes. A much better experience than we had in a Crowne Plaza in Belgium

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
genthotelier, General Manager at Holiday Inn Gent Expo, responded to this review, February 5, 2013
Dear guest,

Many thanks for your kind feedback on our hotel. I am happy that you have enjoyed your stay with us and that you were pleased by the services offered by our team.

It is nice to read that you find the hotel easily. Finely we get rewarded for all our efforts we took like increasing the number of signs and adding a very big board next to the Ikea.

We value our regular guests or our Priority Club members. We are so thankful for the trust they have in our staff and service. Therefore we offer extra services and treats to all our Priority Club Members. All guests have no raison not to sign in the program full of advantages.

It is correct that our staff is very service focused and tries to be one step ahead to make our guests’ stay as comfortable as possible. It is a very nice complement that you prefer our hotel comparing to the Crown Plaza. That makes us very proud.

On behalf of the team of Holiday Inn Gent Expo, I look forward to welcome you back at our hotel.
Netherlands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 25, 2013

I have been in a couple of hotels in Gent, but ever since I discovered the Holiday Gent Expo I kept coming back. The standard rooms are nice and quite large, with half of them equiped with a sofa that can be turned into an extra bed. But if you don't need the extra bed it is still nice to have a sofa in your room, since it's a lot more fun and cosy watching tv like that instead of having to sit or ly down on your bed as in a lot of other hotels. Half of the rooms have a view of the surrounding area of the hotel, the other half are on the inside of the hotel, giving you a view of the atrium where the restaurant and the bar are (but you won't hear any noise in your room). There are also executive rooms which are wonderful. A lot of space, a king size bed, two sofa's and nice furnishing, making it hard to leave the room and do the things you have to do. The rooms (both standard and executive, I stayed in both) are clean and well maintained. And if you ever encounter a small problem, you'll find out it is fixed in no time.

Which brings me to the staff of the hotel. They are the greatest assett. Always friendly, helpful, trying to do their utmost best to make your stay as pleasant as it can be. Their friendliness and smile is genuine and gives you a very welcoming feeling, wether you're a regular or if it's the first time you will arrive at the hotel. In my opinion it's the staff that makes or breakes a hotel. In this hotel it's quite clear: every single one of them is doing a very good job and it's a pleasure seeing them again when returning at the hotel.

If you don't feel like travelling to the city and find a restaurant, you can always use the one in the hotel itself or have a drink at the bar. Or you can just order room service and your food will arrive quickly and nicely served.

The hotel is not in the city centre, but you could see the advantages of that. Both in price, but also in the calmth and rest of the hotel, which I appreciate very much. And although (or maybe: because) the hotel is not located in the city centre it is easy accesible by car and by public transport. Just take the tram at the main train station and it will take you to the hotel in 10 minutes. And if you want to go to the city centre, you can just take that same tram and within 15 - 20 minutes you will arrive there. The tram will depart every 7 - 10 minutes, so that's quite conventient and you can already travel for 90 eurocents for a single ride. And even more convenient: you can buy your tickets at the reception desk.

I think the accomodation is both suitable for bussiness (with the expo at a 50 metres walk) and leasure. I would surely recommend staying here when you want to go the Gent. I know I will.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
genthotelier, General Manager at Holiday Inn Gent Expo, responded to this review, February 7, 2013
Dear guest,
Many thanks for your kind feedback on our hotel. I am happy that you have enjoyed your stay with us for all those years. To have our trust since 2006: that makes us very proud.
Our rooms are indeed quite and comfortable. We offer even free wifi in all guestrooms and public areas. Our executive rooms are larger and they offer even more comfort.
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 14, 2013

What makes this hotel is that the staff are really great - they are very professional, welcoming and helpful. It is a well run hotel and provides excellent value for money. The rooms are spacious and quiet. The hotel is very close to major roads (E40 and E17). It is about 5 km from the historic centre of Gent, and is quite easy to get there by tram. I have stayed at this hotel for six stays totalling about 15 weeks over the past year and there are few hotels that I would want to spend that much time in. That is the ultimate test - being happy with the service over an extended period. Thanks to the HI Gent team!

Room Tip: The Executive Guest rooms are excellent - very spacious and well appointed!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
genthotelier, General Manager at Holiday Inn Gent Expo, responded to this review, January 16, 2013
Dear Mr Johnston,
Many thanks for your kind words about our hotel and staff. I am very happy that you still enjoy your stay with us and that you keep returning with us. You are always more than welcome. As a regular guest you know the hotel better than any other guest.
Thank you for confirming that our staff is very service focused and tries to be one step ahead to make our guests’ stay as comfortable as possible.
On behalf of the entire team of Holiday Inn Gent Expo, I look forward to welcome you again at our hotel and to thank you personally.