“Surprised in Gent”

Ranked #16 of 37 Hotels in Ghent
Darmstadt, Hessen, Germany
“Surprised in Gent”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2012

This was a two night trip as I was moving some equipment from Oxford to Frankfurt and needed somewhere in the middle that would break the trip on the way out an back. A very minimal requirement food and a bed for a few hours. The hotel is located in a grim industrial estate next to an Ikea store - I didn't expect much.
Actually getting to the hotel is a bit of a challenge, you can see it from the road but need to drive around the hotel and Ikea to reach the carpark. Pulling into the carpark just before 10pm I took the ticket with some resignation seeing it as yet another way to pull a few more Euro's from my pocket. We were greeted by the front desk in an efficient and friendly manner, warned that the restaurant was about to close. Every interaction with the staff was friendly and straightforward.
Rooms were regular Holiday Inn, small but clean.
I expected a simple bed for the night but was pleased with a welcome and service that puts many city centre Hotels to shame.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank John B
genthotelier, General Manager at Holiday Inn Gent Expo, responded to this review, September 24, 2012
Dear guest,
Many thanks for your kind feedback on our hotel. I am happy to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you were pleased with the services offered by our team. It is correct that the staff is very service focused and try to be one step ahead to make our guests stay as comfortable as possible.
Thomas Van Parijs

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
  • Czech first
  • Turkish first
Bergisch Gladbach, Germany
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2012

I spent two nights in this hotel. The rooms are ok, Holiday Inn Standard. But the restaurant was quite dissapointing. No typical Belgian food on the menue. Not even Belgian chips, only very thin items styled like McDonalds. Horrably pricy food (23 Euros for a half of chicken!), no bar, no chance to get a cocktail. This hotel is located close to the highway but away from town. And even from the highway it is a problem to find the right way. You might have to turn some laps of honour around the Expo / IKEA complex to reach the place..

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank King_Goofy
genthotelier, General Manager at Holiday Inn Gent Expo, responded to this review, September 20, 2012
Dear guest,
You give us some good feedback regarding the restaurant. We have reviewed our prices on our menu and we have plans to improve our bar. We want to create a better atmosphere where you can enjoy a delicious cocktail.
Hampshire, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2012

We were exhausted when we arrived, having driven from Cornwall and the receptionist ( very friendly and keen to help)took pity on us and put us in two rooms rather than all 4 of us in one room. My Husband is an Ambassador Elite or something with the IHG group and it it felt really nice to be rewarded for his loyalty when he travels with them so much, we didn't get that at the Marriott the night before
Breakfast is good here and we loved the freshly squeezed orange juice machine . Its clean and functional and is opposite IKEA so you could pop in there for a cheap breakfast if on a budget. We arrived at about 9pm and were able to have a couple of beers in the bar with generous bowls of crisps. I would recommend this for a good stop over for families.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
genthotelier, General Manager at Holiday Inn Gent Expo, responded to this review, September 17, 2012
Dear guest,
Many thanks for your kind feedback on our hotel. I am happy to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you were pleased with the services offered by our team. It is correct that the staff is very service focused and we value all our priority members as VIP guests.
Reykjavik, Iceland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2012

The hotel stands by the road from exit 14, you pass it and then you have to drive a long way around empty lots before you reach it. Parking at their huge lot costs € 9.50 pr night. They offer buffet dinner but the plates were empty at 8pm. We had two small sandwiches and beer for € 34. Now, looking at the paper I got with the key, I see the beers should have been free. The breakfast was good but expensive, it cost € 21 pr.person. The television set in the room was out of order and could not be changed or fixed until the next day. The beds were small but OK. The carpet was not clean and there were chewing gum stains in it. The towels were thin and gray. All things considered I would give the hotel 2-3 stars.
If you are a Priority Club member do not expect any privileges. At check-in I was handed a sheet of paper stating which benefits a holder of each type of membership card is entitled to, but it was only on paper. I am a platinum card PC member but we were not upgraded, we did not get any „welcome package with shop products and extra bathroom amenities“ as statet on their paper. After I had raised my voice on two occasions and had become irritated by the staff´s inefficiency the mentioned package waited for us in the room the night before we left, together with a letter of apologies. A good gesture – but too late. We were not offered a newspaper, not a „free welcome drink voucher“, not bottled water. When I went to the reception shop on the first night to buy water, and was served by the same receptionist as when we checked in I showed my card again and got the water for free. When I went for more water on the second night I was told that we should have been upgraded that night but they had forgot to tell us. We were offered an executive room but we could not use it because there was one bed and we needed two. I had booked two nights through the IHG website and paid Book Early and Save rate two months in advance, then a month later added the third night. The two reference numbers seemed to cause confusion so we had to check in-out and out-in again, and when leaving I had to tell them about the breakfasts we had had, and put on the room, and that we had parked a car all three nights, information seemed to have been lost in all this ado. To top all this, now they refuse to give me reward points for the three nights and the same goes for the 1000 points per night promotion and the internet booking points I was registered for. I have never before during my many years as a Priority Club member experienced that. I always book through the same website I usually book the most economic rates at each time and never before has a hotel deprived me of points. They call it a non-qualifying-stay because the rate was lower than it is now! My question is; have all other IHGhotels been wrong in granting rewards for advance purchased rates or is this due to one more mistake at the chaotic Holiday Inn Ghent Expo. Needless to say; I will never bother them with my presence again.

1 Thank Ellen-ss-64
genthotelier, General Manager at Holiday Inn Gent Expo, responded to this review, September 19, 2012
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to fill out the survey of Holiday Inn Gent Expo in which you drew my attention to the zero points that you received, during your stay.

A lot of points can be gathered during a stay as I.H.G. having twice a year a double or triple point’s actions during the year. On top of that every hotel can decide individually if they want to participate at the 1000 bonus points actions that we have available when choosing Holiday Inn Gent Expo..

One of the important rules established by I.H.G. for receiving points is that the reservation should match the conditions for qualifying room rates.

Nevertheless you have booked through a third party website; we exceptionally offer you 1000 points for the inconvenience in our hotel.

We hope that in spite of your experience, Holiday Inn Gent Expo remains your next destination while in Gent.

Yours faithfully,

General manager
Holiday Inn Gent expo

Travelers are raving about these Ghent hotels

london
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 10, 2012

I recently stayed in this Hotel for one night. The lady on reception was very professional and very good was able to answer all my questions. The room was good sized and clean if not a bit dated.

It is quiet easy to find when coming off the E40 you can not miss it, its right next to the EXPO and IKEA you have to follow the directions on the hotel’s web site quite carefully otherwise you will drive around in circles.

It is just out side Gent but it is very easy to get in to the town, as there is tram stop just behind the hotel, which runs quiet frequently and takes about 15 minutes.

The plus points are the staff who are all very good, its very clean, a Welcome drink and free WIFI.

Negative points the car park is not secure and you either have to drive up a slope to drop off your luggage or carry it up a flight of stairs.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
genthotelier, General Manager at Holiday Inn Gent Expo, responded to this review, September 14, 2012
Dear guest,
Many thanks for your kind feedback on our hotel. I am happy to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you were pleased with the services offered by our team. It is correct that offer free WIFI and the staff is very service focused. On behalf of the team of Holiday Inn Gent Expo, I look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel.
Weston super Mare, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for one night as we were going to see Leonard Cohen. We arrived early but our room was ready so we were able to have a shower and get ready to go back out. We caught the bus which is a 3 minute walk from the hotel which took us to the centre. Our room was spacious and very clean and the bathroom was luxurious. Definetly recommend this hotel for a base to explore Ghent.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
genthotelier, General Manager at Holiday Inn Gent Expo, responded to this review, August 30, 2012
Dear guest,
Many thanks for your kind feedback on our hotel. I am happy to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you were pleased with the services offered by our team. Thank you to recommend Holiday Inn Gent Expo for a base to explore Ghent!
Stoke on Trent
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2012

Arrived early but room was ready and comfortable. only problem we encountered was on 2 occasions [out of 4] we had no bath towels.On the first morning [when we had bath towels] when towelling back dry the towel ripped and when held to light it was extremely thread bare. I agree with one reviewer the breakfast prices are very high. However we had enquired before hand and took out own cereals, bowls and spoons . We were told that if you pre-booked breakfast the evening before the rate reduced but was still too high. The bus trip into town was quick even with a change at the station. If you don't want to drive use the public transport very reliable. Over all,not a bad hotel but more 3 star I think

1 Thank jhubbertat86
genthotelier, General Manager at Holiday Inn Gent Expo, responded to this review, August 28, 2012
Dear guest,
Many thanks for your feedback on our hotel. I am happy to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you were pleased with the services offered by our team.
We are aware about the quality of a few towels. We already ordered new towels in order to replace them.